• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SNK Reveals New Trailer, Title for New Fatal Fury Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:08 am Reply with quote
I was under the impression that SNK would go back using the Fatal Fury name for the new game, makes me wonder why they didn't use it for Mark of the Wolves back in 1999. I was also expecing SNK to recycle some of the graphics from KOF XV for this game, there is a bit more detail though, I wasn't expecting them to use a totally different graphic style, I guess they are taking advantage of the experience they gained with the new Samurai Shodown and KOF XV.
I just hope that for this game they can include the original roster from Mark of the Wolves and some characters from the previous Fatal Fury/Art of Fighting games, but I also want SNK to add some new original characters, like the ones that were supposed to appear in the canceled MotW sequel that would've come out for the Neo-Geo, like Joe's apprentice and Hotaru and Gato's father
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I was glad they showed at least some gameplay.

Really curious to see how Mai looks.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I was under the impression that SNK would go back using the Fatal Fury name for the new game, makes me wonder why they didn't use it for Mark of the Wolves back in 1999.

SNK/Of America wanted to be weird I guess.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:34 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:
I was under the impression that SNK would go back using the Fatal Fury name for the new game, makes me wonder why they didn't use it for Mark of the Wolves back in 1999.

SNK/Of America wanted to be weird I guess.

I would imagine it was simply because MotW was a soft reboot, since Terry was the only returning character, and he wasn't even the main character, since that was Rock. It's similar to how Capcom originally tried calling Street Fighter III simply "Three" on the arcade machine marquee for New Generation back in 1997.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:40 pm Reply with quote
It should be noted that despite sharing the same characters, the Fatal Fury series and the King of Fighters series are set in different universes since in the Fatal Fury series, Geese Howard died, Terry grew older and Rock Howard is now a teenage fighter while in the KOF series, Geese is still alive, Terry never grew old and Rock remained a kid in this universe before becoming older and playable later.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I would imagine it was simply because MotW was a soft reboot, since Terry was the only returning character, and he wasn't even the main character, since that was Rock. It's similar to how Capcom originally tried calling Street Fighter III simply "Three" on the arcade machine marquee for New Generation back in 1997.

I don't think Mark of the Wolves was seen as a soft-reboot, I don't think the concept of a soft-reboot was a thing back then either, I see the game as a reivention of the series, but continuing the story that ended in Real Bout: Fatal Fury. And after doing a bit of research I think SNK intended it to be called Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves, since some hackers found references and graphics for an alternate title screen in the games' files, not to mention that for the Dreamcast release of the game it is actually called Fatal Fury: MotW, at least in the game's packaging
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:31 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
It should be noted that despite sharing the same characters, the Fatal Fury series and the King of Fighters series are set in different universes since in the Fatal Fury series, Geese Howard died, Terry grew older and Rock Howard is now a teenage fighter while in the KOF series, Geese is still alive, Terry never grew old and Rock remained a kid in this universe before becoming older and playable later.

I think it should also be noted that the continuity is a damned mess.

Especially once you throw Art Of Fighting into the mess which is set years before Fatal Fury but in KOF both the AOF and FF characters exist despite the fact the AOF characters should be older which only applies to Geese whose apart of both serie’s canon.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:15 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I think it should also be noted that the continuity is a damned mess.

Especially once you throw Art Of Fighting into the mess which is set years before Fatal Fury but in KOF both the AOF and FF characters exist despite the fact the AOF characters should be older which only applies to Geese whose apart of both serie’s canon.

I have no idea why people are constantly so confused with any of this stuff, because it's been established since the very start of the KOF series that KOF is set in a separate universe than literally anything else SNK has made, aside from maybe Metal Slug (since the Ikari characters that were added in later entries are 100% based on their KOF incarnations).

The "main" SNK universe has a very rigid & established timeline to it, like Art of Fighting taking place in the 70s & Fatal Fury taking place in the 90s (hence why Ryo is an older man in Buriki One as Mr. Karate II, which takes place around the same time as Marok of the Wolves), and Geese being 100% dead ever since the end of Real Bout Fatal Fury. This is also why Nakoruru was part of Team Another World in KOF XIV, because her "another world" is the main SNK universe.

That's why KOF takes place in its own universe, because otherwise Ryo, Robert, & Yuri should be roughly 20 years older than any of the Fatal Fury cast, at the very least. This is also why Geese is still alive in KOF, because in that universe he somehow survived his final fall in the Real Bout plot. Likewise, South Town was only ever blown up in the KOF universe, not the main SNK universe.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I have no idea why people are constantly so confused with any of this stuff, because it's been established since the very start of the KOF series that KOF is set in a separate universe than literally anything else SNK has made, aside from maybe Metal Slug (since the Ikari characters that were added in later entries are 100% based on their KOF incarnations).

It was established in Japan, but it wasn't established overseas. We just got the games and didn't get the magazine interviews or whatever that went over this stuff, so we simply didn't know for a long time and were left to guess how it was intended. I'm not surprised many people still don't know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1