• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam SEED FREEDOM Anime Film's English-Subtitled Teaser Unveils Staff, January 26, 2024 Debu

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:06 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Ouch. It feels like Kira is either ending single or Lacus dies with that teaser. We need translations

Well the first thing probably isn't happening, since they appear to be wearing rings.

I liked Kira in SEED, and in Destiny I was just mad he took over the show when he had no business to. Now that it's clear he's the MC of the movie, he can't steal that role again. I just hope he actually has some difficulties to overcome and he has more than the dull surprise reactions he had in Destiny.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back indeed 2024 new year month january the GS era has return.

Sure here we go again & by time get dub version can we have originals dub english back?

Due ironic 2024 be 20th year of original english dub version sure have them back for movie dub version too?!

Indeed bring them back.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I liked Kira in SEED, and in Destiny I was just mad he took over the show when he had no business to. Now that it's clear he's the MC of the movie, he can't steal that role again. I just hope he actually has some difficulties to overcome and he has more than the dull surprise reactions he had in Destiny.

Is his whole stick not that he never really loses? Even if he does lose, he will reappear a bit later with the Freedom Strike Golden Unicorn XX2
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:29 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Is his whole stick not that he never really loses? Even if he does lose, he will reappear a bit later with the Freedom Strike Golden Unicorn XX2

He lost the Strike vs Aegis fight pretty badly. The only reason he survived was because Lowe was hanging around those general islands testing the Red Frame's Flight Pack he got from Morgenroet,e and saved his ass by getting him to Malchio who in turn sent him to Lacus.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Any chance this movie will use either the NYAV Post or Ocean cast?
gloworm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Any chance this movie will use either the NYAV Post or Ocean cast?

Unless Witch from Mercury indicates that Sunrise (Well, I guess it's "Bandai Namco Filmworks" now) is done producing their own dubs and just plans on handing everything over to Crunchyroll, they'll likely try to use one of the existing casts. And while I'd absolutely prefer to hear Matt Hill, Sam Vincent, Chantal Strand and the rest of the old Ocean cast back doing anime, them going with NYAV Post, the studio they currently have a relationship with, seems more likely.

But getting that cast back together might have its own challenges. The redubs were non-union, but Aaron Phillips, Shinn's VA, seems to only do union projects these days. So they could have to spend the extra money for a union dub to get him back. But that can potentially cause problems for other VAs, like Tom Wayland (Mu), who mainly works as a voice director and doesn't do any union voice work. Joining the union isn't cheap, and not something people would do if they don't plan a career working on union projects.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:10 pm Reply with quote
It sure is amusing that a lot of the comments in this thread that discuss the positives/negatives of Seed/Destiny are just one big rehash of the exact SAME arguments that took place over a decade ago. Complete with a SuperBestFriends reference... ny god. One would have thought that people's views would have evolved, matured, mellowed over the last 2 decades...and while I am sure that is the case for many...it is funny that some comments here make me feel like it is 2009 again.
lolyouropinion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:21 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I just went to the Gundam reddit and some of the most upvoted posts sing the gospel of Yamato Christ himself or shitposting about whales. Half the foreign audience will show up to watch a 2 decades later sequel to an anime they saw when they were 15, with the cast likely below just below the drinking age in America. The other will show up to watch the anime equivalent of Tommy Wiseau with spoons at hand. What can go wrong? A shame Super Best Friendcast disbanded. They despised SEED:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX_H2vAadfA

Yep, people will love this and there's nothing you can do about it. Very Happy

Vaisaga wrote:
I liked Kira in SEED, and in Destiny I was just mad he took over the show when he had no business to.

Shinn was insufferable and should have died. He was somehow more annoying than Flay but at least Flay had the decency to die at the end. I'm glad he got cucked by Kira.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:40 am Reply with quote
I always found CE era Gundam a little bland and boring. The original SEED didn’t live up to its potential and the less said about Destiny the better. But for some reason it was extremely popular, even the “characters” who had zero personalities.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kurichan69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:31 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Shinn was insufferable and should have died. He was somehow more annoying than Flay but at least Flay had the decency to die at the end. I'm glad he got cucked by Kira.

EXACTLY. Laughing
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:50 pm Reply with quote
lolyouropinion wrote:

Problem with Shinn's portrayal is that, being the first Gundam TV protag to start in the military, we do really get a chance to see him as a normal kid. Add to that he's mostly seen around people he doesn't like: Cagalli, the leader of the country that caused the death of his family, and Athrun, a repeat traitor. He's quite pleasant around his friends, and is respectful towards Gilbert. Poor kid never really got a chance.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:35 pm Reply with quote
SEED had some really interesting ideas, and there were parts that I enjoyed, but about 75% of Destiny is one of the few series I've watched where it felt like I was legitimately wasting my time - I didn't enjoy it, and absolutely nothing came together in a satisfying way. The plot was a complete mess. Then Stargazer came around, and it's become one of my favourite pieces of Gundam media, period. So while my expectations are very, VERY low (especially with the obvious CG GINNs), I'll give this a shot. If nothing else, they have Toshihiko Sahashi back on the OST, and he is one of the all time greats.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:58 am Reply with quote
kurichan69 wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

EXACTLY. Laughing

1000%

I mean, I'm not even going to try and rationalize it. I detested him by the end of Destiny. I'm on board with this movie not being about him at all. I'm here for the hopefully cool Gundam fights - I always thought Seed/Destiny had some of the most interesting in terms of design.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:27 pm Reply with quote
gloworm wrote:
Unless Witch from Mercury indicates that Sunrise (Well, I guess it's "Bandai Namco Filmworks" now)

The trailer literally states "SUNRISE" from start to end. The new Requiem for Vengeance trailer states "SUNRISE Presents". Witch from Mercury from its announcement trailer last year states "SUNRISE" even on its website currently. It's still "SUNRISE" despite merging to form Bamco Filmworks.
gloworm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:20 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
The trailer literally states "SUNRISE" from start to end. The new Requiem for Vengeance trailer states "SUNRISE Presents". Witch from Mercury from its announcement trailer last year states "SUNRISE" even on its website currently. It's still "SUNRISE" despite merging to form Bamco Filmworks.

That may be, but if you go to Sunrise's English language twitter account, the one actually relevant to English language dubbing, its last tweet is 3 month old and just tells you go to the BN Fimworks account instead. So while Sunrise still exists as a brand in Japan, it doesn't look like it will be used for the American arm any more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2