• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Legendary Hero is Dead!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:56 pm Reply with quote
It was nice to see everybody come through to help beat Leland and some genuine sincerity (and thighs) coming through to help Touka defeat the demon.

And just when things are being setup as a Harem dynamic we finally address Yuna's feelings for Touka. I'm looking forward to diving deeper into their relationship rather than having Yuna just be the static childhood friend who beats the MC up for being a pervert (not that that won't keep happening).

(I'm starting to think Yuna might be a closet pervert if not because of how often she ends up stripped or naked but because she ran out in public in her underwear but still took the time to put her boots on...)

Oh hey, Belarco is back! Nice to hear Wataru Hatano.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:41 am Reply with quote
It was nice get Touka and Yuna's backstory and how it explains a surprising lot about their characters and how close they are.

Also it was just nice to have the real Yuna back and naked for 50% of the episode.
CulturedTre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:15 am Reply with quote
I don’t want to come across wrong so I’ll preface by saying every opinion is valid. But I think the reviewer is taking this show way too serious. I one would say Touka is a good person, and in real life yes he’s a creep. It’s almost like his behavior justifies a crusade to point out how much of his behavior is SA.

Most of anime has things in it that wouldn’t be appropriate in real life but so does real tv. Do you hate Sex in the City befuddle of how those women behave? It’s escapism and therefor more over the top. I’m not defending a show I like; on the contrary this show is bang average IMO. I just prefer reviewers review the show on its merits rather than by their political or social views.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:09 am Reply with quote
I don't really see the Fairy Tail comparison beyond the propensity for women to end up naked, in skimpy outfits, or in plenty of fanservice shenanigans (or I guess how joke characters end up being pretty important).

All that being said I think they're doing a good job of bringing things full circle...Touka is back in his own body, the return of the Touka/Anri/Yuna trio, the final fate of Sion, Kyle, bringing the fight to Touka and Yuna's home, etc.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If I wanted to see a version of Fairy Tail that was worse in every regard, I could just watch Edens Zero.

You mean the version that literally upgraded everything FT had?
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If I wanted to see a version of Fairy Tail that was worse in every regard, I could just watch Edens Zero.

Those are fighting words, sir.
lealex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:33 am Reply with quote
So why don't you watch Edens Zero if it's so "inferior to Fairy Tail in every way" yet still a step up from this? Season 2 is right there on Crunchyroll, airing weekly.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:54 am Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Quote:

You mean the version that literally upgraded everything FT had?

Yeah, I came here to say the same. It's almost offensive to Edens Zero to be compared to what became of Fairy Tail. Same goes to Rave Master for that matter. Mashima is a good writer when he actually tries, case in point, he admittedly didn't with FT, going as far as to state that he decided on the direction of the plot as it went on without planning, like "Ok, this chapter ended with this cliffhanger, how do we save the characters next week?" or "This thing happened out of nowhere, how do we justify that? Retconning is welcomed too".

Edens Zero in other hand is clearly planned and has a fair amount of setup for its world building.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Good old Touka being an absolute canny shitter like usual, you love to see it.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:41 am Reply with quote
I wish the animation was better but the characters, fanservice, and escalating plot are keeping me engaged.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:59 pm Reply with quote
"t's the kind of fight you'd see in a filler episode of The Seven Deadly Sins, delivered with animation on par with that show's worst episodes."

Savage.

I still remember OG Meliodas vs Escanor, what made it funnier was that less than a week later we had Deku vs Overhaul, people were saying that Overhaul's eye had more budget than the whole 7DS's season.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I found myself surprisingly enjoying the show. All in all I think it was a solid action and adventure fantasy show with plenty of fanservice, comedy, and thighs and that worked for me. The cast was really eclectic and fun and developed surprising well.

The animation may not have always been amazing, but I think it was serviceable enough. At least it's not Cheat Skill level of production.

Apparently the manga is already finished so I would like to think the fact that they commissioned an anime in the first place might mean there's a chance for another season to continue the story, and I would be there
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Fun stuff all the way through. I'm glad this got an anime and hopefully put some cash in the mangaka's pockets, given his struggles during the initial serialization. The power system's also very cool; I love seeing different characters use different abilities differently in different situations. Different.

Fun/10, would watch second season
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2