• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya Manga's Live-Action Knights of the Zodiac Film Opens With US$2.4 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 3:27 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It seemed really pretentious Toei thought they could turn this into a six film series when they know the lack of interest US audiences have in this franchise. It's too bad since I heard it actually wasn't bad from people who have gotten to see it already.

Not bad if you don't mind a feature film having CW drama-style script/dialog, editing, and effects.

Otherwise, no, it was quite bad.

It had one or two cool fight scenes, but that can't carry an entire movie.

Mackenyu's unfortunately not that strong of a lead actor either.
It says something when the most talked about parts of the film are his muscles and shirtless scenes.

What I find especially bizarre is the inclusion of elements from the poorly received Netflix cartoon.

Such as the dub name changes so Saori is Sienna and Ikki is Nero. If Shiryu, Hyoga, and Shun appear then they would become Long, Magnus, and Shawn.

Plus the inclusion of that show's original villain Guraad. Like the appearance of that guy, played by a woman here, is questionable alone.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Honestly this is more than I was expecting. I’m pretty sure both Toei and Sony were expecting this result, given this was mostly made for an international audience.

GATSU wrote:
L: Distribution ain't cheap.

It’s possible Toei’s paying Sony a fee to do it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Purple: I think they were expecting the international fans to line up, instead of opting for Mario and GoTG 3.
Araki

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 12:57 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Honestly this is more than I was expecting. I’m pretty sure both Toei and Sony were expecting this result, given this was mostly made for an international audience.

What international audience? These ARE international numbers lol. People just aren't interested anywhere, and at this rate it won't even reach 20 Million, which would be a disaster.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 8:54 am Reply with quote
lol liked how everyone jump to the conclusion it being a flop while it's still early to judge that.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:16 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
xScar wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It seemed really pretentious Toei thought they could turn this into a six film series when they know the lack of interest US audiences have in this franchise. It's too bad since I heard it actually wasn't bad from people who have gotten to see it already.

Not bad if you don't mind a feature film having CW drama-style script/dialog, editing, and effects.

Otherwise, no, it was quite bad.

It had one or two cool fight scenes, but that can't carry an entire movie.

Mackenyu's unfortunately not that strong of a lead actor either.
It says something when the most talked about parts of the film are his muscles and shirtless scenes.

What I find especially bizarre is the inclusion of elements from the poorly received Netflix cartoon.

Such as the dub name changes so Saori is Sienna and Ikki is Nero. If Shiryu, Hyoga, and Shun appear then they would become Long, Magnus, and Shawn.

Plus the inclusion of that show's original villain Guraad. Like the appearance of that guy, played by a woman here, is questionable alone.

Yeah, the moment it seems like they were carrying the additions from the Netflix adaption, I was pretty much expecting we'll probably get female Shun. Assuming they actually make more of these (which I doubt).
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:40 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Yeah, the moment it seems like they were carrying the additions from the Netflix adaption, I was pretty much expecting we'll probably get female Shun. Assuming they actually make more of these (which I doubt).

There was also speculation that Eugene Son was involved which would have pretty much guaranteed female Shun given how defensive he was on Twitter over the change when the complaints came in.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Joker#941490 wrote:
lol liked how everyone jump to the conclusion it being a flop while it's still early to judge that.

Movie’s been out for close to 3 weeks and it’s box office at least in the U.S. is pitifully low that’s a flop. Now could other markets push it over its production and market budgets?

Possibly but it isn’t looking good.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Badnewsblues: It hasn't hit the U.S. yet. Next week.
Mushrinku

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 1:51 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Joker#941490 wrote:

Movie’s been out for close to 3 weeks and it’s box office at least in the U.S. is pitifully low that’s a flop. Now could other markets push it over its production and market budgets?

even if it's pushed over its production and market budgets it's still gonna be a flop- you need to make a good enough profit. not a little bit.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 2:08 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Joker#941490 wrote:

it still isn't out in U.S yet lol
funkfoot

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I feel the US box office is not going to affect this much . This was a movie made for international audiences since Americans don't really care about Saint Seiya.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Joker#941490 wrote:
it still isn't out in U.S yet lol

My mistake but even if it were that doesn’t change the fact that raking in nearly 3 million dollars over a 10 day period is still bad. If the other markets that the film has yet to be released can’t cover up for those low numbers ain’t nothing changing.

Mushrinku wrote:
even if it's pushed over its production and market budgets it's still gonna be a flop- you need to make a good enough profit. not a little bit.

Primarily you have to make back the money you spent on producing and marketing your project but yeah.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 9:20 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

There was also speculation that Eugene Son was involved which would have pretty much guaranteed female Shun given how defensive he was on Twitter over the change when the complaints came in.

No idea why that guy is so insistent on turning Shun of all the Bronze Saints into a woman (turning the most feminine and pacifistic Saint into a girl was a braindead move alright) but if he is involved in these films then its unfortunate that might occur here on the off chance another movie is made.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3