• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (TV + movies) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:15 am Reply with quote
2:

Another fairly light-hearted episode, but the show's brand of humor is starting to grow on me. Interesting to see how the doll is modeled after the mysterious warrior who is vaguely related to Tanjiro and is revealed to be from another era altogether. Raises a lot more questions than answers now.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:02 am Reply with quote
The new OP is fire.

NOTHING BAD BETTER HAPPEN TO MITSURI....SHE IS TOO WHOLESOME.
Twisted Evil
The scene of her bonding with Nezuko had me making ridiculously high-pitched squealy noises.

Also every second of Inosuke on screen continues to be an absolute joy as always.
Laughing
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:44 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, the good old asshole that you hate a lot at first and then later on you get to like him and he gets brutally murdered soon after (that is what I am guessing anyway).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Lol, Tanjirou acting THAT openly angry towards a Hashira was unexpected....normally he is SO polite and respectful. I think this is the first time he's lost it over someone who is not an antagonist.

Shocked

It really took me by surprise. xD I like when kind and soft-spoken characters snap over behavior they don't like though. It's a very 'ahhh they have limits after all' type of moment.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:39 am Reply with quote
Actually, to me that was the most characteristic thing Tanjiro would do. He reacted the same way with Rengoku's father when the latter was being mean to Rengoku's baby brother. Tanjiro just speaks up for what is right, regardless of rank or seniority. It's Tanjiro being Tanjiro.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:27 pm Reply with quote
S3 #3

This week actually went full-on slapstick comedy for once. Some viewers will hate how a lot of airtime was devoted to Tanjirou and Kotetsu messing around while they debate about claiming the 300-year old sword, only for it to be so anti-climatic when they discover it's rusted and blood-stained. Then they'll complain about more airtime being wasted as Haganezuka and Kanamori appear out of nowhere and discuss what to do with the katana. For all the time which was "wasted" on not really doing much as far as plot advancement is concerned, other viewers will be treated to probably the most comedy-heavy episode in this adaptation. It's amusing to see how thick-skinned Tanjirou is, as well as how much effort it takes him to do something "dishonest". Seeing Genya throw a fit and play the straight to Tanjirou's comedy feed is another source of entertainment this week.

Most of the comedy is front-loaded though, because only this franchise will combine this many laughs in one episode balanced out with lots of gore and action in the second half. The franchise has never been one to navel gaze for long, and when it switches to action mode the pacing quickens considerably. Surprisingly Hantengu's the one to make the first move against our main cast, with the durability viewers expect from one of the Upper Six coupled with his four Tengu forms embodying the Four Chinese Emotions (喜怒哀楽) in addition to their very stereotypical Tengu supernatural abilities. Tanjirou and Nezuko have their work cut out for them, especially as Genya has been impaled by a spear and probably won't be contributing much. Tokitou has his hands full with Gyokko's creation and can't return immediately, while Kanrouji is going to need time to realise what's going on and then to reach the location to assist. As always, the odds are stacked in favour of the Oni and it'll take superhuman efforts and some luck for our heroes to turn the tide.

Not directly related to this episode, but I can't recall another season where Ufotable and Mappa go head to head for viewer eyeballs with two marquee action franchise adaptations from the same Jump stable. If this is indeed the first one where the studios are directly competing with each other, it should be interesting to see which show viewers favour more. So far I'm leaning towards the Mappa offering for the action quality, but that might well change as I'm aware of what's to come for the Ufotable product and how that might sway the judgment of viewers by the end of the season.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:19 am Reply with quote
3:

I said that the show's brand of humor was growing on me, but to be honest, I was also wondering why. And then it clicked and I found out why:

This is Tanjiro. Guess who he is too? Spongebob.

This is Genya. Pat yourself on the back if you realized he's also Squidward.

I love Spongebob since I was a kid. Still do. That's why I like the brand of humor.

Back to the show: I did not expect this season to pick up as soon as episode 3. I know it started pretty early for the second season too when we met Daki very early in the series. But let me point out: we see both Upper Four (Hantengu) and Upper Five (Gyokko) at the same time by episode 3. To add. Hantengu literally crawled up to a Hashira (Tokito) and Tanjiro because "I need to kill them quick". Building up to a climax? Nahhh, let's just get on with it and get the ball rolling!

I expect a lot from the top five demons i.e. some spectacular kind of power for each of them.

Upper Six- Gyutaro & Daki: Siblings, need to be beheaded at the same time
Upper Five - Gyokko: Spells, illusions?
Upper Four - Hantengu: Multiplying bodies, beheading doesn't work, each has unique powers?
Upper Three - Akaza: Hand-to-hand combatant, pure brute power
Upper Two - Douma: Unknown
Upper One - Kokushibo: Unknown, possibly a very powerful swordsman

I want something more to Hantengu than seemingly just an upgraded version of Gyutaro & Daki. I see that each body of Hantengu apparently represents a type of emotion, so I wonder what that means.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Welp, the swordsmith villagers are extremely lucky that the demon invasion is happening when there just happens to be a Hashira on site, one very close by, two Demon Slayers and Nezuko in da house. One of the things I love about the show is how tense and difficult the battles are. I know that Tanjiro and most of the other Demon Slayers have plot armour but I'm still usually on the edge of my seat. It's alway fun finding out what the different capabilities and weaknesses of the demons are. By the way did I miss the explanation of how the demons actually found the village? If that was explained, it blew by me. Can't wait to finally see Mitsuri in action!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:26 pm Reply with quote
S3 #4

First big action set-piece of the season, and so far it doesn't disappoint. As always, our protagonists remain on the back foot as they are both outnumbered and outmatched by four extremely strong opponents. Although Tanjirou eventually figures out how to close the gap and return to his compatriots, he has yet to figure out how to kill any of the four permanently since the usual decapitation doesn't work against amoeba-like enemies. Genya is surprisingly durable, but viewers won't know why he's like this until much later. As for Nezuko, she's always been able to take loads more punishment than her human allies but near-permanent electrocution must be a new low for her. Although she helps save her brother from almost certain death, in her current unconscious state neither of them are capable of defending against the next vacuum blast so some kind of intervention is going to be required to stop it from happening. Genya is still occupied with Aisetzu but he's the pair's best chance of survival assuming he can somehow stop the attack.

While Hantengu is personally handling the three slayers, Gyokko is busying himself with the rest of the village. We as viewers do not yet know how Gyokko obtained his lead which he reported to Muzan back in the double-header pilot, but it is the village's misfortune that Muzan asked him to follow up. Although Kanrouji is on her way to intercept, does she have enough time to return before the vase monsters literally eat the village in its entirety? Not to mention Gyokko himself hasn't entered the fray yet so there's plenty more action to be had now that the gears are at full throttle.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:17 am Reply with quote
So, one question. Why did the villagers not react and sound the alarm to the sounds of several very loud fights going on? Parts of buildings collapsing, lightning going off, gun shots and more and yet the alarm is only used when the fish pots attack.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 49 (S03E05)

This show simply excels at battles. So many other adventure/action shows, I passively wait for the "battle" to be over because they are just generally not staged in an interesting way and I'm usually not terribly emotionally invested. Not with this show. I cheered when Mitsuri diced up those demon fish and when Tanjori used his red sword to decapitate three demons at once. We know now why Genya is immortal... he's a demon. I know the Demon Slayers have made an exception for Nezuko in terms of not killing her, but it is highly unusual for a Demon Slayer to be an actual demon. Not sure how that works. Even Tokito has redeemed himself in my eyes by being such a badass.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:58 am Reply with quote
S3 #5

When the franchise hits top gear, there's little to match it for the action fare on offer. Adrenaline junkies can always rely on this show to sate their lusts, since it never stops with the duels until the arc is more or less finished.

Quite a lot in this episode. Tokitou saves another blacksmith, but before he can obtain his replacement sword Gyokko pre-empts him and he has to fight his way past for the weapon. It looks like Gyokko has the upper hand for now, since he uses poison, has extreme mobility with his vases and has effectively incapacitated Tokitou in a prison of water. Having him as an archetypal villain certainly makes it easier for the audience to root for Tokitou, who hasn't endeared himself to most because of his personality. Animators even threw in a bit of exposition during the battle as well, as Tokitou has been searching for a way to recover from his amnesia and this fight surprisingly gives him a brief opening into the mist clouding his mind.

Before that, Kanroji makes it back to the village and saves the chief and many others from Gyokko's pawns. That's no sword she's using; more like a bladed whip. Takes a lot of skill to use it effectively, probably more so than the standard Demon Slayer Katanas. She's needed elsewhere, so probably won't spend too much indulging the survivors before she's got to move on.

Viewers can always count on Nezuko to bail out her brother when the situation is really desperate. Tanjirou will then pick up the slack if she's down for the count and he can still keep moving. Again it's the mysterious swordsman from his memories, but this time he picked up more than just a memory. I do not remember Tanjirou using this particular technique in previous episodes, so he's either improvised it on the spot or drawn out something from his genetic memory. No specifics yet, but that certainly turned the tables on Hantengu with Genya surprisingly helping with the fourth. As for Genya's backstory, anime-only viewers will need to watch more to discover why he's the way he is and why he's allowed to work as a Slayer. His case is different from Nezuko's, but right now the big problem facing Tanjirou is whether he has to fight Genya to save himself from being eaten. Nezuko is stuck beneath the rubble, but has more than done her part in ensuring her brother's technique had enough punch to get the job done.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 3:40 am Reply with quote
Genya has been in the sun, right? Unless I forgotten no demon has been shown able to survive sunlight except for maybe the big bad guy who created the other demons. If Genya is acting as a demon right now, it must be something he only pulls out temporary for certain situations, or cannot control properly, but otherwise is a human.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 7:47 am Reply with quote
4–5:

Hmm, really? Hantengu is simply an upgraded version of Gyutaro and Daki where they have to be beheaded at the same time as well? Seems anticlimactic to me. Plus, the fact that Tanjiro actually got 3 out of 4 parts of Hantengu means he almost defeated an Upper Rank. That's quite a leap in his stats compared to his last battle, isn't it? There's got to be more to Hantengu than this; he's just one rank below Akaza, dammit!

Gyokko is an interesting archetype: a demon that's a bag (in this case, a vase) full of tricks. Rather than being the simply powerful boss à la Akaza, he's the tricky type of boss you find in video games where you have to figure out his modus operandi aka how he spawns his vases.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Genya has been in the sun, right? Unless I forgotten no demon has been shown able to survive sunlight except for maybe the big bad guy who created the other demons. If Genya is acting as a demon right now, it must be something he only pulls out temporary for certain situations, or cannot control properly, but otherwise is a human.

HE'S BLADE!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:24 pm Reply with quote
S3 #6

The franchise does include this type of episode every now and then: lots of action but then a turn into the background of one of the featured ensemble characters. This week it is Shinazugawa Genya who gets his turn: the foul-mouthed, bad tempered peer of Tanjirou who is recently revealed to be a demon who can't use breathing techniques.

His older brother Shinazugawa Sanemi is the Hashira whom viewers might remember as the one who was so dead set against Nezuko he literally tempted her with fresh blood to get her to revert to type so that he could kill her. He didn't get his way then, but at least anime-only viewers now know why his hatred for demons is stronger than most. The two brothers actually have a similar background to the Kamado siblings in that they had big families, but that's the only similarity as everything else from their parents to how they ended up in the Corps drastically diverges.

The action this week takes a back seat to the Shinazugawa family background, but it's a nice change of pace since all-action with no break loses its impact. Despite the expository turn, the pacing isn't letting up as somehow Tanjirou recognises and locates the fifth demon they need to kill to finish the job. All of the Upper Demons have some kind of gimmick which makes them hard to slay, and Hantengu is no different. Instead of simultaneous beheading, it's more the case of locating the main body and somehow keeping the summoned emotions busy to deal the killing blow. Tanjirou looks like he's done the job, but I don't think it's quite so simple as the cliffhanger would have viewers believe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 13