• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 3 Etrian Odyssey Games Get Remastered Versions on Switch, PC on June 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerdra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Will content from the 3DS remakes (Millennium Girl, Fafnir Knight) be included?
Oggers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting to get into the Etrian Odyssey games, and this seems like a good way to do so. Seems like I'll be preordering these.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:

Doesn't seem like it, which is a bit baffling considering how the 3DS titles had classic modes.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I've already played (and own) these three games so that + the price on this collection is a pretty big hurdle... But I am a fan of the games and want to support them and the new art looks good... But... 120 bucks is a lot to drop.
Unlikely but if they release a limited edition physical version I might buy that...
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:52 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I've already played (and own) these three games so that + the price on this collection is a pretty big hurdle... But I am a fan of the games and want to support them and the new art looks good... But... 120 bucks is a lot to drop.
Unlikely but if they release a limited edition physical version I might buy that...

The collection/bundle is $80, so you should go with that if you want all three.

It looks like only Japan is getting a physical version, but it seems to be limited to 10K copies. Even if I'm misunderstanding and that number is only for the initial print run, the eShop page says it only supports Japanese, so it still wouldn't be worth importing for most people.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:43 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
The collection/bundle is $80, so you should go with that if you want all three.

I live in Australia so at current (33% off) it's 120$ which is a significant amount of money for 3 old games I already own.

Yeah, I heard JP was getting an LE. I don't know if there's any plans for a physical release in the west, so I'm just going to wait and see what happens.
Jindujun93

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:50 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Aerdra wrote:

Doesn't seem like it, which is a bit baffling considering how the 3DS titles had classic modes.

It's not about whether or not the 3DS titles had classic mode, because those are more like reimaginings rather than 1:1 remakes. Really, the original games are *very* different compared to the Untold games even if you only compare the Classic mode. Different map layouts, skill trees weren't carried over 1:1 into Untold, they have completely different balancing and design philosophies (for example the original EO2 tended to give enemies high defenses but low-ish HP, while the Untold version had regular defenses but absolutely ridiculous amounts of HP bloat), so in a way, there's a point in bringing over the originals over the Untold games (even more so if they want to keep the original trilogy close together, since 3 never had an Untold and it'd be jarring otherwise to have 3 with the two Untold games).

I do prefer the Untold versions over the originals, for the most part (though there's some things the originals do better), but there's still a point in bringing these here over instead of the Untold games. And heck, at this point those *are* the oldest games that weren't easily accessible (the 3DS games were all readily available in the E-Shop while it lasted, after all).

But yeah. Price is absolute highway robbery. Even the Untold games are only 20 bucks in the E-Shop, and yet Atlus is asking for double the price for the originals here. Not cool.
Retrojuicepop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Dude, is Atlus implying Persona Q duology will be remastered as well?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1