• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Dub Casting Prompts Discussion Over Suletta Role

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
popgreens

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know until this thread that Anairis axed her Twitter account sometime after that thread. Anything else said from/to her between those two things?
RemGalleuSimp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:57 pm Reply with quote
popgreens wrote:
Didn't know until this thread that Anairis axed her Twitter account sometime after that thread. Anything else said from/to her between those two things?

The reason for her temp deleting some of here socials is in the article itself it was added after the article had been live a few hours when A.J. Beckles tweeted at ANN about the reasoning behind her deletion etc since it seems from A.J's tweets ANN didn't reach out and ask first.

Either way it has nothing to with the topic being raised here, just a coincidence - The reasoning: https://twitter.com/AJBecklesVO/status/1621309654063259649?t=mQQ8caAGwgqcQIDBUcwNkA&s=19
GasterTheGreat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Cryssoberyl wrote:
It comes from people like you either forgetting or not knowing that Suletta's father is a brown man named Nadim Samaya, which is an Arabic given name and an Indian surname. She is absolutely a mixed-race character, whatever other factors may be at play in this silly "controversy".

Okay, but a name is not exactly actual confirmation though. A foreign person who was born and raised in Japan would most likely have a Japanese name but using their name to judge their ethnicity would be flawed in that scenario. The world building doesn't exactly showcase how cultures have shaped and adapted into space much. And this is assuming they're using cultural names accurately and not just pulling random names out of hat like anime tends to do; especially Gundam which has some of the most random names of all. Is there actual confirmation by the staff or in data books that comments on this? I mean, what would Suletta be a 'mixed race' of, exactly? Assuming her father is Arabic-Indian, what is her mother? What ethnicity is the name Elnora? Would an actor who represents Suletta's mother side be just a fine or does it specifically have to be MENA and Suletta's father's side that gets priority and if so why? And in that case would casting a MENA actor even be accurate if they're not specifically Arabic or Indian? Would a Pakistani actor with no Arab background be fine?

It's fine to speculate and head-canon this stuff if people want but the fact this kind of thing is bleeding over into the actual distribution and handling of anime overseas is a bit concerning.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:41 pm Reply with quote
So here's the thing, i understand having more people in the voice acting industry(or any industry) from different backgrounds is a positive, and I also get why people who are not of Japanese decent or even Caucasian, as they are one of the highest represented groups outside of Japanese in Anime, would be happy to see someone like themselves in an Anime.

What doesn't make sense is why it is being treated like it only matters when both things happen together. It's like it doesn't matter if for example a person of middle eastern descent is in a Anime if they are playing a Japanese person and it doesn't matter if there is a middle eastern character in an Anime if they are not being played by a middle eastern actor.

And when you watch the show anyway what differences does it make, you're only hearing their voice. If they had gotten the actor people wanted they would have sounded the same anyway because they all go for that particular regional(or none, i don't really know) accent.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Cryssoberyl wrote:
SHD wrote:
Personally, I'm just wondering where this "Suletta is a queer MENA character!" came from. I mean, this is not like in case of Chad in Bleach where he's canonically mixed race and all that. This is basically someone deciding that Suletta is MENA, period, and must be treated as such. And they decided this on the basis of... her name? In a Gundam show, hell, in anime where creators are known to just randomly pick and mix names that sound cool and exotic to the Japanese ear? On her skin color that is similarly inconclusive? (People often tend to forget that there's a variety in skin color among Japanese people... darker skinned characters are not necessarily intended to be coded as people of color as per the American discourse.)

It comes from people like you either forgetting or not knowing that Suletta's father is a brown man named Nadim Samaya, which is an Arabic given name and an Indian surname. She is absolutely a mixed-race character, whatever other factors may be at play in this silly "controversy".

I didn't forget, I actually addressed all that in the exact paragraph you're quoting. What evidence is an anime name with no further context, especially in a show like Gundam? (Or hell, in real life, even. If someone hears my name they tend to assume I'm German. Even though I'm not, and my family hasn't been since at least 200 years. I've zero grounds to claim to be of German ethnicity. And yet, my name is fully German.) What does "ethnicity" even mean in a setting where generations have lived and died without ever setting a foot on Earth, and the main distinction among people is not along the lines of Earth-based ethnicities or race, but "Spacian" and "Earthian" (heh)? What's the evidence that we're not giving way more thoughts about the background of these characters than their creators ever did?

As I said, it's one thing to say "I interpret her as [X]." It is however an entirely different thing to say "She is [X], period, and I demand she is seen as such by everyone." People have this tendency to extrapolate from details and then treat their ideas as if they were unshakeable canon facts, even when they're not.

Anyway, I'm getting out of this discussion because I know all too well what to expect. Just reiterating: I'm not saying she shouldn't be voiced by a MENA voice actor or any other non-white voice actor. Diversity is good, more non-white voice actors getting jobs is good, regardless of the ethnicity of the characters they play. I'm talking about people treating headcanons about characters as fact.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:12 pm Reply with quote
To those clamouring over what Suletta's heritage must be based on her name (in a Gundam show >.> ) and her complexion, you seem to be ignoring something very important: her bright red hair.

So... Irish?

Wait, Harris is a British/Wales/Irish name. hmmm....
DevilBrew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Yikes, voice actors on Twitter always get involved in the most braindead drama possible. This fiasco was blown so out of proportion. Yes, it would be nice if the mc was voiced by a MENA actor, theres no reason for people to go on such a petty tirade over it. People will find any reason to vilify Crunchyroll and treat them like the spawn of the devil. Kudos to CR for going with Texas talent.
muteprohet8726

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Please let these same people tell me what the ethnical origins of Quattro Bajeena, Jamitov Hymen and Bright Noa come from as well.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Dude, are you seriously trying to dispute straightforward data about parentage with nonsense about geography? That's two out of your four posts since you registered this account? How is this getting you so bent out of shape?

Suletta is mixed race. I can believe that because for one, I have eyeballs. And for two, okay sure, maybe Suletta's father's name is just a total coincidence. Just like maybe I'll flip heads 98% of the time if I flip a coin 50 times. But......probably not?

It's not a big deal, and there's no point in litigating it at all.
Los Nido

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:53 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
To those clamouring over what Suletta's heritage must be based on her name (in a Gundam show >.> ) and her complexion, you seem to be ignoring something very important: her bright red hair.

So... Irish?

Wait, Harris is a British/Wales/Irish name. hmmm....

You're joking but I'd honestly buy her being Irish over anything else. Something I notice western fans do is overextend when it comes to skin color. Some western fan artists draw Suletta with pitch brown skin despite the fact she has light colored peach skin in the actual show. I think it's one of those things where people are projecting their own interpretation on a character. She might have a bit more color saturation than other characters but it's still peach colored. Sunburnt at best. She is in no way a "brown" girl as I see some people are calling her. Just comparing her skin tone to Shaddiq's should be obvious enough I feel.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:13 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Suletta is mixed race. I can believe that because for one, I have eyeballs. And for two, okay sure, maybe Suletta's father's name is just a total coincidence. Just like maybe I'll flip heads 98% of the time if I flip a coin 50 times. But......probably not?

This is all highly contingent on spoiler[Suletta and Ericht being the same person. There's no guarantee of that at this point in time and all signs so far point to that not being the case.]

So yes, your eyes very well may be decieving you based on what the show has displayed thus far.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:11 am Reply with quote
Dani Chambers is black and did a perfect job voicing a small, quiet, pale Japanese girl like Aharen-san so I don't see the big deal, lol
frozenkex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:11 am Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
Dani Chambers is black and did a perfect job voicing a small, quiet, pale Japanese girl like Aharen-san so I don't see the big deal, lol

that's right and Chise from Ancient Magus bride.
If there are some ... VAs that arent even doing adr work or voicing any characters anywhere, why should anyone think they should be entitled to some role for a character of some color?
"But it would be nice if..." no actually it wouldn't.
theotheranimeman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:46 am Reply with quote
Are these constant unnecessary controversies and drama the reason why english dubs sound so bad usually?
yuricon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:04 am Reply with quote
[quote="ChibiGoku"]
penguintruth wrote:

Representation matters. Like, I cannot stress this enough.

Unless you're a minority, you don't understand how important this stuff is. Like, seeing people, characters, and yes, voice actors, represent you, is extremely important to us. People who aren't minorities, don't get it, because you're represented every day. We're not.

Absolutely this. Anyone arguing that this kind of thing is a non-issue is saying that it is a non-issue to them. Representation is a real issue to everyone else.

Do I want ND roles only going to ND actors or or minority characters only going to minority actors or queer roles only going to queer actors? In a perfect world, no. This is not a perfect world.

When minority actors are still regularly cut out of chances for main characters, and then also cut out of opportunities to represent their own, then yes, give the MENA role to an MENA actor. At least until that actor and all other minority actors have the same opportunities as majority actors.

I cannot believe it is 2023 and we're still having this conversation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6