• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan The Final Season Anime's Conclusion to Air in 2 Parts With 1st Part on March 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:31 pm Reply with quote
primalmaximus wrote:
oFFoy wrote:
primalmaximus wrote:
DamianSalazar wrote:
Attack on Titan - Final Season - Part 3 - Cour 1 of 2.

It's absolutely crazy how Pony Canyon and co are delaying the inevitable.

It's cause they're trying to milk the franchise for all it's worth before anime only fans see the dumpster fire that is the ending of AoT.

Why are you so angry?

I'm not. It's just, when the final season part 2 dropped, in January 2022, the manga had been completed for 6 months. That was more than enough time to be able to extend part 2 long enough to complete the series at that point.

So, they either couldn't negotiate for extra timeslots to air the anime, or they weren't willing to spend the money to get more air time and to produce more episodes. I get that it's more complicated than that, but still.

The timing of the final volume of the manga being released and the airing of the final season part 2 makes it seem like they intentionally delayed the conclusion.

Especially since it was the final tankoban release. The serialized chapters, and the manga itself, had probably been finished a decent amount of time by that point.

I'm not angry. I'm honestly not even that interested in AoT. It just seems like they're intentionally dragging out the final season to milk it for all the money they can. I don't care enough to be angry about this. I only know about the finale's controversy from social media.

I'm just talking about my perceptions of these repeated delays in concluding the anime.[/u]

The reason for the "delays" is plain and simple - for the sake of health and production. Nothing to do with "milking", specially considering how the pacing of the anime has been pretty consistent. They didn't "extend" Part 2, because there was zero way the overall schedules/conditions would allow the team to make a good quality product, not because of the reasonings you said.

Even though this split decision is really odd and the "Final Season Part X" memes will continue, this is still ultimately the better move.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The Last One Forever And Ever For Real This Time We Really Mean It Part 1.

I've seen a lot of snarky comments in this vein since the last installment aired, so when I saw the headline, I just burst out laughing. Apparently people thought they were just making a joke, but the studio looked at it and thought, "Heeeey, now there's an idea...!" Laughing
cloud8100

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing this is becoming a legendary meme now.

They really shouldn't have called the previous parts the final season. It's cracking me up though.
RobbiRobb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Abraham Omosun wrote:
Can wait to watch The End of Attack on Titan: The Final Saeason: The Conclusion: The Last One: Electric Boogaloo 2: Endgame: The Finale

Just quoting this comment from the original announcement because somehow I couldn't forget about it and now it's about to come true. More or less. At least it'll be over after this, unless they decide to split the second part of the third part of the final part. Again.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Ah... the show that can only get nostalgic for its heady days of jumping the shark. The shark is a distant memory now, as is any vestige of my interest in watching any more of the show.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The final season memes are legit.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Zeno's Paradox: The Anime Laughing
Intranetusa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
Why not just call it Part 3 and Part 4? This is so baffling lol.

Or better yet, instead of splitting Season 4 into Parts 1, 2, 3, and 4 (1 and 2 of which are each as along as a season by themselves)...why not just call it Season 5, 6, 7, and 8?
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:01 pm Reply with quote
All of these jokes would've been avoided, had Kodansha/Pony Canyon not been so impatient and shot themselves in the foot by marketing S4 as the "Final Season" before the manga even ended.
ericarreza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:20 pm Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
Cour is not the correct term here - cour implies broadcast over multiple weeks which this is not.

Attack On Titan Final Season Part 3 - Sub Part A
Attack On Titan Final Season Part 3 - Sub Part B

Probably the last 2 parts of AOT: Final Season will be a 1 hour episodes not 30 minute run.
Kevin Triforce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Nico1924 wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
oFFoy wrote:
They decided to split it in two parts because they need more time to animate. Source: https://twitter.com/MAPPA_Info/status/1615273706049400832?t=zaGJIjefMlYoIGKA1N58ng&s=19

That makes sense because there really isn't that much left of the story. Last episode was the end of volume 31 out of 34 total volumes. For reference, S4 part 2 began about halfway into vol 29.

I think the last episode was the end of volume 32, not 31.
9 chapters are left to be adapted.

Ack, you are correct. I was scrolling up and down the wiki page too fast, I guess. Laughing

You are both wrong the anime’s last episode ended at volume 30 we are now at volume 31.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:33 pm Reply with quote
This is exhausting.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:49 pm Reply with quote
The overreaction here is what is exhausting. I don't expect most people to have read the original announcement(s) in Japanese but it's pretty clear that the March 4th will be a long episode, maybe 1 hour. It is not difficult to get a reliable translation. The sites themselves will do it and even Google translate is accurate. The announcement even refers to it as a スペシャル放送 (special broadcast) and there will be another long episode later this year. A lot of people did not understand the announcements and immediately began saying there would be a split cour but the announcements clearly do not say that; they specifically mention 2 parts and one is the "special" on March 3/4. I agree continuing to use the "final season" language is problematic but that can't be changed now. Seems likely that the first special will adapt chs. 131-134 and then the rest in the second part.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:56 pm Reply with quote
It's all fun and games until Square Enix drops a C&D for using the word "Final" with an asterisk large enough to block the cover art.

Given the source manga was plotted for 16, expanded to 20 so the author could tell the story how he wanted, and on, and on until the main story finally ended in volume 34. Why are folks surprised the same thing is happening again with the anime?
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:33 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
All of these jokes would've been avoided, had Kodansha/Pony Canyon not been so impatient and shot themselves in the foot by marketing S4 as the "Final Season" before the manga even ended.

Exactly. I was really surprised back then that they called it Final Season even though we already knew it could not adapt much material, certainly not straight to the end. I still think some people high up in Pony Canyon used it as a marketing ploy because they wanted to time with the end of the manga. They still have the anime is a long commercial for manga mindset, which really doesn't apply for AOT, particularly not AOT.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5