• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Exclusive: N LITE Produces 'Afro-Anime' Film MFINDA in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:08 am Reply with quote
Hmm... interesting to say the least. Hopefully this doesn't become a trainwreck like how LeSean Thomas' Yasuke was.

Ooh and I spotted Shin Koyamada's name there. I haven't heard of him since I last watched Wendy Wu which was like forever ago.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:08 am Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
Hmm... interesting to say the least. Hopefully this doesn't become a trainwreck like how LeSean Thomas' Yasuke was.

I haven't seen Yasuke, was it that bad? Also, isn't LeSean Thomas the creator of Cannon Busters? Because I remember watching the anime adaptation when it came out on Netflix and it felt like a chaotic mix of various 90s and 2000s manga/anime (like Battle Angel Alita, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Gurren Lagann, etc.), honestly I didn't like it that much.
Regarding this project, the art looks pretty nice, it'd be cool to see more stories for all ages based on different African myths and legends
SpideyDude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:20 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
DamianSalazar wrote:

I haven't seen Yasuke, was it that bad? Also, isn't LeSean Thomas the creator of Cannon Busters? Because I remember watching the anime adaptation when it came out on Netflix and it felt like a chaotic mix of various 90s and 2000s manga/anime (like Battle Angel Alita, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Gurren Lagann, etc.), honestly I didn't like it that much.
Regarding this project, the art looks pretty nice, it'd be cool to see more stories for all ages based on different African myths and legends

Yasuke was that bad. Rather than telling the true story of Yasuke they created a made up one which included magic and mechs which felt really out of place
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:53 am Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:

There is also zero connection between the two projects other than the race of the creators so maybe stop and think for a second about why you jumped straight to that

Anyway, it has an okapi, I'm sold
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:58 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
DamianSalazar wrote:

There is also zero connection between the two projects other than the race of the creators so maybe stop and think for a second about why you jumped straight to that

I'm African and Africans need an anime that they can be proud of. Yasuke was supposed to be that since it's a tale about an African slave ending up all the way in Japan. Africans tend to be pretty sensitive about how our stories are handled. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard Disney were making an animated series called "Iwaju", which is set in Lagos, and then I heard CN were making their own series called "Iyanu", and I do hope both productions end up doing pretty well in paying tribute to the culture.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:37 pm Reply with quote
The name of the production company "N LITE" sounds quite sus to me. Does the N there mean NFTs?
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
The name of the production company "N LITE" sounds quite sus to me. Does the N there mean NFTs?

What makes you think that?
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:51 pm Reply with quote
If you're interested in animation based on African legends and myths, I suggest you watch "Kirikou et la Sorcière". I remember it being really good and with a gorgeous art style.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

WHY N LITE?
N LITE was born out of the word “enlightenment.

From their website:https://www.nlitemedia.com/origin-story
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:38 pm Reply with quote
When this subjects come up, I'm left wondering what it means by African? A criticism I've heard levied against people outside of Africa is they wrongly assume Africa is just one country made up of one single group of people, when in reality it is more like Europe, and we wouldn't class Spain and Poland as similar places.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:42 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
DamianSalazar wrote:

I'm African and Africans need an anime that they can be proud of. Yasuke was supposed to be that since it's a tale about an African slave ending up all the way in Japan. Africans tend to be pretty sensitive about how our stories are handled. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard Disney were making an animated series called "Iwaju", which is set in Lagos, and then I heard CN were making their own series called "Iyanu", and I do hope both productions end up doing pretty well in paying tribute to the culture.

Fair enough! Sorry for making assumptions.
MikeToneyDesign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Really excited about this project. I'm actually familiar with the artist Patience and his work. I think the story he wants to tell is interesting and comes from a genuine place. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a good production studio!
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:46 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
When this subjects come up, I'm left wondering what it means by African? A criticism I've heard levied against people outside of Africa is they wrongly assume Africa is just one country made up of one single group of people, when in reality it is more like Europe, and we wouldn't class Spain and Poland as similar places.

Funny you should say that considering Morocco actually shares a border with Spain via the cities of Ceuta and Melilla, and is constantly pestering Spain to return those lands to them.

Yeah, it's true that Africa is "multicultural" in a sense similar to that of Europe. North Africa has more in common with the Middle East than most of Africa (except for probably Sudan, and South Sudan). West Africa (where I'm from) has one thing that unites or causes division between them, Jollof rice, similar to that of the Balkans with rakija. East Africa is where the Lion King is set. Southern Africa is where most of the last remaining white settlers are located. Then there's the Horn of Africa which consists of Ethiopia, Eritrea, and Somalia.
OtomeGay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Looks cool! Excited to see who's on the production team Very Happy
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:20 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
Africans tend to be pretty sensitive about how our stories are handled.

Why? Just curious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2