• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Spy×Family

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Entschuldegungen Sie...Fiona ist eine talentierte und schöne fraulein. That's what they would say in Berlint. She is just too fixated on Loid and that trips her up. Yor is Best Waifu...
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Great episode all around. The action & the comedy were both on point this week. Yor thinking Loid would drop her over tennis, the misdirection with the ball seemingly being missed, then cut up w/ Fiona's reaction etc Great stuff Laughing
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:36 pm Reply with quote
It's plainly clear that Nightfall's outfit is a reference to Aim for the Ace but is Twilight's outfit a reference to any other show/manga? I've never seen AftA but googling it (and some other tennis anime), I don't see any characters dressed like he is, but I feel like it must be referencing something.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Just for the record, I am not shipping Scruffy and Nightfall, they ending as a couple is just a logical deduction based on common tropes.

How dare you doubt Nightfall's obvious true love/eventual partner: Daybreak. Very Happy
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Just for the record, I am not shipping Scruffy and Nightfall, they ending as a couple is just a logical deduction based on common tropes.
How dare you doubt Nightfall's obvious true love/eventual partner: Daybreak. Very Happy

Oh yeah, this is a slamdunk. Can confirm Dr. Wily's detailed linguistic analysis checks out.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:22 am Reply with quote
The tennis arc had some phenomenal and clever animation, plus the humor had me laughing so loud I almost woke up the house, TWICE! My favorite two episodes this season. Classic!!
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say Lloid and Yor probably have one of the most complicated relationships I've ever seen. It was fake marriage from the get go just to benefit each other. The two keep hiding important stuff to each other and there has been little to no progress between both of them after 24 episodes. Is it because the series is a comedy? Kinda like how Gintoki is forever alone despite the series having more characters interested in him as the manga progressed. Maybe the author is not serious about writing actual romance?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:05 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Maybe the author is not serious about writing actual romance?

This is kind've my impression so far, unless it's all just silo'd into a single later arc or something. Really, though, even the main plot has been burning so slowly over the last season that you could be forgiven for forgetting there was one. The initial setup of everything was fantastic, but Spy x Family seems to have gotten verrrry comfortable just episodically dogpaddling and keeping its cast static.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:42 am Reply with quote
It feels to me more like a sitcom, where the "plot" is just the setup for the weekly escapades. It's a lot like Bewitched, with hidden powers and motives and quirky family shenanigans. Loid is Samantha, trying to keep everything together, the agency is the Tates and the ad agency clients, Yor is Darren, though with added secrecy (this one's admittedly a stretch), Anya is Tabitha, Yuri is Endora and the rest of Sam's eccentric family, the neighbor ladies are Gladys Kravitz...
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:24 am Reply with quote
What's creepy about Becky? It's pretty common for kids to have crushes on adults (portrayal of the other direction would be creepy, of course).

Gina: yeah, that's a good comparison. Never did like the episodic sitcom formula very much. Razz
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It feels to me more like a sitcom, where the "plot" is just the setup for the weekly escapades. It's a lot like Bewitched ...
Wow, dating ourselves are we? I loved it and it ran for a long time so it worked in the US. What I find fascinating is that it seems to work the same for Japanese sensibilities despite the different cultural background. Proves we aren't so different at heart...

At time 6:00 listening to Yor's VA's performance she says "goddam" in English very clearly. The lady deserves an award!

@Ghost Critic- Got some chutzpah making that avatar with that statement and showing it here. Karma? Lynzee may get you though...
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It feels to me more like a sitcom, where the "plot" is just the setup for the weekly escapades. It's a lot like Bewitched ...
Wow, dating ourselves are we? I loved it and it ran for a long time so it worked in the US. What I find fascinating is that it seems to work the same for Japanese sensibilities despite the different cultural background. Proves we aren't so different at heart...

American sitcoms have been broadcast on japanese TV since at least the early 60s, so it doesn't surprise me that the sitcom formula is used in a series like Spy x Family. It rather baffles me that some people get upset about a spy plot which isn't "moving forward", not realizing that it's the characters' interactions and themes of family, unity, love and trust which are at the series' core.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
American sitcoms have been broadcast on japanese TV since at least the early 60s, so it doesn't surprise me that the sitcom formula is used in a series like Spy x Family. It rather baffles me that some people get upset about a spy plot which isn't "moving forward", not realizing that it's the characters' interactions and themes of family, unity, love and trust which are at the series' core.

It's not the spy plot I particularly care to see move forward, but the relationships between the main cast. The two happen to be correlated, though; e.g., the Nightfall-centric tennis episode (as separate from the introduction of Nightfall herself, which has led to a small amount of welcome disruption in Loid and Yor's interactions), or the episode about Anya's classmate who thought his father's company was imploding and blamed Damian's family for it, both did very little to advance the relationships of the main cast. Self-contained episodic side stories come with recycled character dynamics and a lack of growth.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:08 am Reply with quote
To me, this episode it's the end of the season, or the highest point of the main story, too.

The relationship between Loid and Yor it is progressing, but sloooowly and still is in the manga. Mainly because as I said it's a comedy series, not a romance one. Many of the stories are focused around Anya, while Loid and Yor's personal/sentimental life remain in the back seat most of the time.

Funny the current situation is, a major change in their relationship would need a war between Ostania and Westalis and all the lies falling down, destroying the Forger family to rebuild it again. And that which, while fullfilling, would mean the (happy) end of Spy x Family.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:53 am Reply with quote
Gotta say that Anya's sudden comment "What are we talking about?" might kinda fit the finale. Lloid knows what he is into but he kept changing subject when he noted Damian's insecurity regarding his father's attention.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:57 am Reply with quote
Pretty eventful finale with Loid finally encountering Donovan Desmond.

So far they feel like perfect foils for each other. Loid is generally good at reading and manipulating people but Donovan is such an enigma emotionally and character-wise that his normal tactics can only go so far and he has to be very careful with anything he says or does, and in term it seems like Donovan was gauging Loid as well.

They also both seem to have parallel views of human interaction, Donovan thinking that people can't ever understand each other or be more than strangers but Loid, despite agreeing in some sense, still wants to better understand people and walk beside them despite not 100% understanding them...something he's learned from his fake family.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of familia warmth in the Desmond family, but at least Damian's dad showed up and acknowledged him a little at the end. And Loid made Damian think Anya is actually interested.

I guess the prior episode was meant to make up for how little Yor got to do in the finale of her own show. Although I know that will be rectified.

Here's to season 2 and the movie!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 20