• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trigun Stampede Anime's English-Subtitled Main Trailer Reveals Theme Songs, January 7 Debut

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XSp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:11 pm Reply with quote
The trailers already tells me all I need to know - they are going more action, sci-fi and serious on this anime, and this is a fundamental problem for me personally, even if it is in fact following the manga closer than the original anime.
Not that I think it's necessarily bad for the franchise, for new watchers, or even for some old fans... it's really just not how I personally see Trigun in the position of a personal classic and favorite of all time.

Trigun was one of the animes that turned me into an anime fan. What did it for me was the story going from what essentially looked like a slapstick comedic spaghetti western kinda vibe, emphasis on comedic, with hints here and there that it was something else, all the way up to going sci-fi tragic drama right by the final episodes when the characters backgrounds really unfolded. It's also about the focus on characters, their sense of ethics and morals, and how the perspective and analysis shifts with the development of it.

It was unlike anything I had ever watched up to that point, and it was shocking and surprising in very good ways. I didn't expect things to go that way, and the experience was awesome because of that. Cowboy Bebop was a bit like that too, but I watched it after Trigun. But even Cowboy Bebop was still far more serious than Trigun, more aligned to a futuristic film noir style, so the shock just didn't hit as hard.

If they are making a trailer that already puts out the major plot points all at once with the whole background exposed, with a seemingly less intimist and more grandiose sci-fi scenario, then it cannot have the effect on new viewers that the original had on me. There's no slow burn, no growing suspicion that this isn't just slapstick comedy, no slow empathy build up.
Not that it'll be bad, or that it's not worth checking, but I see it lacking what turned me into a fan because of how it's being presented.

Art is a bit subjective... I don't think it looks bad, but honestly, I prefer the original. I dunno what exactly bothers me... perhaps because it looks too clean, and too game-like. I don't have major problems with 3D CGI honestly, I'm always for giving new art styles a chance - but it doesn't seem fit for me here.
Even if there seems to be way more focus on facial expressions and movement in comparison to other 3D CG animation, you still can't have the iconic super deformed Vash faces and weird moves. I haven't seen any in the trailers so far, and on the original it was an iconic part of it... the first episode by itself was hilarious because of that.

And then there is the obvious thing that everyone is talking about which also feels extremely essential to the original - Milly Thompson, the chemistry between her and Meryl, and how the character was pivotal to convey the sense of loss and despair in the last episodes. I just can't imagine the original anime having as much of an impact on me if it wasn't for her character. It's definitely about the change in Vash, but also in a more subtle albeit very powerful way, about Milly and Meryl.

The final thing I'll mention is about soundtrack. The way the original anime used Tsuneo Imahori's mostly instrumental thematic ost set the anime apart in it's own world. I don't have anything against orchestral soundtracks, or the kind of music that you hear more in Anime movies and whatnot - but it just doesn't sound as unique. If I close my eyes and hear the music that has been revealed so far in Trigun Stampede trailers, I feel like I could be watching the trailer for any other modern Anime movie - you know, kinda like Hollywood action movies these days all seem and sound the same, particularly if it's based on comics? Well, that's for me, perhaps people can't relate.

So that's about it... it's not that I think this new anime cannot still be great, very successful and an interesting add to the franchise. Just that it probably won't be able to replace the original. Which I guess is fine too... people can always watch the original to understand why it has legions of fans. And if this one is good enough, it adds to the franchise.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:21 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
I'm honestly really glad I never watched/read anything Trigun

Whereas I have an enormous amount of pity and feel sorry for you for not watching or reading the anime/manga that has been out and available for many many years now.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Livio is so skinny... Where's the beef?
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
I'm honestly really glad I never watched/read anything Trigun

Whereas I have an enormous amount of pity and feel sorry for you for not watching or reading the anime/manga that has been out and available for many many years now.

I was gonna say, it's weird to be proud about not having watched/read a beloved anime/manga.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I think I will give this new show a chance, the CGI doesn't bother me that much, but I'd like Vash to be voiced by his original Neutral Spanish voice actor, Gabriel Ortiz, I'm pretty sure Crunchyroll will dub this in various languages. Even though the original anime was dubbed over 15 years ago Gabriel still sounds pretty young, in fact he recently voiced Yūichi Jin in World Trigger and Ryouhei Sasagawa in Katekyo Hitman Reborn! (these two series arrived in our territory just this year), not to mention Gabriel returned as Renji Abari in Bleach TYBW.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:23 pm Reply with quote
There are numerous, drastic differences between the original anime and manga, this is just a third version of the same core story. Assuming it's actually good I'll have trouble enjoying this on the same level as I enjoy those two.

People are worried about this being too serious, but these trailers could just be deceptively cut to give that impression.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Don't like the themes much, feels very generic anime theme song compared to the original's more distinctive rock track
Retrojuicepop

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:52 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
I'm honestly really glad I never watched/read anything Trigun, because it means I'll be able to watch this and judge it entirely based on it's own merits, as it's own anime, instead of having this childish "WhY iS It diFFeRenT?! WHaT an InSuLt To The FaNBaSe!!!" mindset.

I'm glad you will. In fact, I barely care much about Trigun, even though tv5 Philippines aired it in late 2000s. Let me just say that my younger self back then and now the current me isn't much too keen on the series.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm completely fine with them doing their own thing with the material. So many people act like adaptations must be page for page, of the source material.

Last edited by Themaster20000 on Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShinuZERO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm a diehard Trigun fan and I'm looking forward to this. We already have an all time classic anime and manga so why does it hurt to have another take? Especially if it looks like it's being done with this much care. If they went for a straight remake the same people would probably find something to be mad about anyway...
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:36 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
That was Milly on the far right of the group shot, right?

That character appears twice more in this trailer so it could be her. We don't see her face but she's the right height, build and hair color. I won't say it's definite and I don't know why she wouldn't be featured in the trailers but it could be her.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:51 am Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
I'm completely fine with them doing their own thing with the material. So many people act like adaptations must be page for page, of the source material.

But they already had another version of Trigun, this was a chance for them to do the manga justice in animated form. This is like if FMA Brotherhood was also not a direct adaptation of the FMA manga, but a third version of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:34 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Themaster20000 wrote:

But they already had another version of Trigun, this was a chance for them to do the manga justice in animated form. This is like if FMA Brotherhood was also not a direct adaptation of the FMA manga, but a third version of it.

Same. I'd honestly have zero issue if we got this new modern reimagining until after Trimax got its adaptation.

This is the first time we get to see Livio animated and he looks like a stick figure. Sad
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:56 am Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:

Actually the problem going by a large portion of the recurring criticism seems to be people expecting this to be close to or exactly the same as the original anime. With the minority being made up of people who expected this to take from the manga.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:36 am Reply with quote
Perhaps some other studio has called dibs on adapting the Trigun/Trigun Maximum manga but Orange got the go-ahead to make this different version? What if the next few years sees TWO new Trigun shows!? Yeah, that's the ticket!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3