• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon Anime Declares Winner of Pokémon World Coronation Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations, Satoshi/Ash! What a team!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Pokemon needs a reboot now, since Ash is a Pokemon Master.
IceKirby

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate ANN for being careful with spoilers. I already got spoiled for this because other sites simply didn't care and put the result directly in the title.

And that was a heck of an episode. And not only this episode, but the whole Masters 8 arc was superb. I had stopped watching around mid-Johto but kept checking the games, so while I didn't know much about the anime plot itself, I had a fair idea about the important characters. And seeing all those champions in a single tournament was amazing.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Pokemon needs a reboot now, since Ash is a Pokemon Master.

The anime went out of its way earlier to say that winning the Masters 8 doesn't make you a Pokemon Master. And on a meta level the tournament just ended up making every champion not named Leon and Cynthia look like a huge loser, so it's also not that much of an accomplishment in general.

Last edited by JoelBurger on Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
#sukkar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, mad props for keeping the spoilers well hidden, even the official twitter account didn't do that.

I'm super interested in where the anime goes from here. The next generation starts in a week and we still don't know anything about a follow up series or arc.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:19 pm Reply with quote
#sukkar wrote:
Seriously, mad props for keeping the spoilers well hidden, even the official twitter account didn't do that.

The thumbnail on this article spoils the winner though
Rosiero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:29 pm Reply with quote
While Ash is indeed now the best, it is incorrect to say that he is the best like noone ever was, as previous champions exist. Razz
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Call me a fool for still believing this if you want, but I think Ash may finally be retiring as the main characters of the show. Maybe he will be kept as a mentor for the next MC, or maybe he will finally leave. But regardless of what Scarlet and Violet bring, this battle just screamed "Grand Finale" for me.

Every companion Ash had is shown watching his battle, and Pikachu gets his own "Shonen Power of Friendship" moment where he remembers every Pokémon Ash has ever caught, including those he doesn't even own anymore. Oh, and they played the first opening theme at the climax of the battle. I'm having trouble picturing a more "Grand Finale" battle than this.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Great episode. Choked up seeing the OG team and the others support Pikachu in the final bout.

I have to say his current team probably has the more characterization and camaraderie than any other generation. They all have personality and get a chance to shine.

Wonder where the anime will go now...
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll be.

I know people always say this, but it really wouldn't be surprising if they switch out Ash after this season. I'm not sure how you top this. The episode had cameos from every single one of Ash's human companions and Pokemon throughout the years, and had the original theme song as an insert song. That all screamed "final" to me.

But then again, Ash and Pikachu are money makers,
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
I have to say his current team probably has the more characterization and camaraderie than any other generation. They all have personality and get a chance to shine.

His current team were barely ever on screen together because of the show's format, they have basically no camaraderie. Same with characterization, where Ash taking a backseat to Go for most of the show meant that we barely got anything from his Pokemon. Like seriously try to tell me anything about his Dragonite or Dracovish.
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Please be the end of Ash & Pikachu.
It's been 25 long years.
Definitely time to move on from them.
Teraman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Not that I really care since the result has been plastered all over every social platform by this point, but why would you post two separate spoiler warnings at the beginning and then use THAT as the thumbnail?
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:42 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:

His current team were barely ever on screen together because of the show's format, they have basically no camaraderie. Same with characterization, where Ash taking a backseat to Go for most of the show meant that we barely got anything from his Pokemon. Like seriously try to tell me anything about his Dragonite or Dracovish.

Dragonite definitely didn't get much other than being a gentle hugger and the Iris battle, but Dracovish has a lot of character and is close with Sirfetch'd. The Drasna mini arc, the Cynthia battle and the episode last week showed this.
Blazi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a journey of 25 years, and he did it. Congratulations Ash!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3