• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Anime's Dub Casts Alain Mesa as Chad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allnightclerk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:48 pm Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
Yes, there has. Literally every time a voice actor has reprised their role. Unless there's more to the story than has been posted here, Price says he was offered the role and made the difficult decision to turn it down because he didn't feel comfortable playing a person of color anymore. We have no evidence that someone pushed for him to leave the role - if that was the case, they wouldn't have offered him a reprisal in the first place!

Can you name a specific example please? As I mentioned every voice controversy I've heard about ends with a replacement. The black characters on The Simpsons and Family Guy. Jubilee on the new 90s X-Men cartoon continuation. That one Guilty Gear character with tan skin. I can't say I've heard of any white person reprising their role after being made aware of the situation and saying they do not care. Which specific actor reprise their role after a situation like that was put forward? Unless you're speaking in the general sense that any actor can step down to make way for another person at any time, but that is not the situation I am talking about.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:59 pm Reply with quote
allnightclerk wrote:
Can you name a specific example please? As I mentioned every voice controversy I've heard about ends with a replacement. The black characters on The Simpsons and Family Guy. Jubilee on the new 90s X-Men cartoon continuation. That one Guilty Gear character with tan skin. I can't say I've heard of any white person reprising their role after being made aware of the situation and saying they do not care. Which specific actor reprise their role after a situation like that was put forward? Unless you're speaking in the general sense that any actor can step down to make way for another person at any time, but that is not the situation I am talking about.

Yeah, see, the problem is that you're inventing a scenario here. As stated, Jamieson Price chose to step down from the role of his own accord. There was no controversy, there was no backlash that this was in response to. This is a completely different scenario from what you're describing.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:15 am Reply with quote
And the role of Sajin Komamura will be played by Snuggles the Corgi.

Yeah, I'm a bit indifferent to the whole thing. If the guy doesn't want to play the role because the politics of voicing a character of a different race has changed, not my place. It's really up to the actor what role they want and doesn't want. My guess is the only reason why there is an announcement about the reason is following the whole Mob Psych and Bayonetta mess and people will be asking questions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
xTrailer45

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:30 am Reply with quote
Alain Mesa why do you get involved in controversies? Sad
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:39 am Reply with quote
Not really a controversy. Price stepped down from the role, Mesa auditioned and got the part. Everything beyond that is just Price explaining why he chose on his own to step down and a some people with opinions about a whole lot of other stuff that feel the need to whine about Price making a personal decision.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:43 am Reply with quote
@catandmouse

Because Sado's name is Japanese, but his Mexican heritage is a defining point of his character. It's his non-asian blood that has contributed to his size and build, as well as his skin color. Traits that make him an outsider in Japan, which is a huge part of his bond with Ichigo, a fellow outcast. His backstory is largely about his close relationship and promise not to fight with his grandfather - specifically referred to as abuelo, at least in the English dub. His moves are all given spanish names as a call-out to his heritage. The character is steeped in his Mexican culture, at least as much as we can expect from a Japanese writer.
Los Nido

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:29 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Yeah, I'm a bit indifferent to the whole thing. If the guy doesn't want to play the role because the politics of voicing a character of a different race has changed, not my place. It's really up to the actor what role they want and doesn't want. My guess is the only reason why there is an announcement about the reason is following the whole Mob Psych and Bayonetta mess and people will be asking questions.

I don't think so. Erin Fitzgerald made an announcement for stepping down as Ramlethal's English voice actor by saying she feels a black woman should play the character. That predate those two other instances.

This has been pretty common in American cartoons for awhile now and it's just now catching up to the world of anime and video game dubs. If I was a betting man I'd put money on Wendee Lee being next. Chris Sabat will be replaced as Garterbelt in the new Panty and Stocking project as well, I assume. There's no doubt also other characters I can't think of at the top of my head at the moment.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:36 am Reply with quote
This is Jamieson Price's own choice to step down from the role because of his own personal views and not because of Viz or anyone else. Just because Price is stepping down doesn't mean anyone else will. If Wendee Lee steps down it will be because it was her personal choice and not because of Viz. Whether you agree with Price's decision or not, his personal wishes should be respected and I don't think it's helpful for people to be spreading fear mongering about other actors being replaced when again it's clear this is Price's choice and nothing has been said about any other roles. It should also be pointed out Price is not the only or even the original dub actor for Chad. He was originally voiced by Marc Worden for the first 78 episodes and Kaiji Tang voiced Chad in the dub of the live action movie. For some reason though Price replacing Worden didn't cause any outrage.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:19 am Reply with quote
Most of you just like to fabricate some controversy for something that was a personal choice. Rolling Eyes
MewtwoCrusher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:59 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Saying Chad's ethnicity isn't integral to his character is just not right. Its incredibly important in his backstory and all his attacks are in Spanish. Ultimately its his decision and he's not making a grand statement, if he wanted to give the role to an actor who may have not been in the role then let him.

Spanish is a language that originates from an overwhelmingly White nation and is spoken by millions of people of all colours and religions and cultures.

Americans are impressed when White people speak Spanish. Will they have a heart attack if they visit Spain or Argentina or Uruguay?
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:35 am Reply with quote
MewtwoCrusher wrote:
Also, who cares about "fairness" in voice acting? If it happens that White people and Jewish people dominate voice acting, why is this a problem? Whites and Jews come from cultures with heavy performing arts influences!

My dude... First of all, because representation matters to people. Seeing someone with the same skin color, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity as you succeed in an industry matters. Either because you relate to that person, or because it tells you that there's a place for people like you in that industry.

Second, are you unaware of how, like...history works? Whites don't come from cultures with heavy performing arts influences, at least not moreso than any other culture. They come from cultures that historically have been given roles in the performing arts at the expense of other races. See: white actors being cast as asians, latinos, black people, etc. or the lack of diversity in the cast (including the extras) of shows like Seinfeld, Friends, etc.

If you look at history, we went from all white casts on film, to getting a token black person playing piano every once in a while. Of course looking at the history of film, you'll see the white people have a long history with it! ...Because black people weren't allowed for such a large portion. But every culture has created their own form of the performing arts, for the record, so, like...we all come from cultures that are heavily influenced by them. That's part of human nature.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:09 am Reply with quote
MewtwoCrusher wrote:
Spanish is a language that originates from an overwhelmingly White nation and is spoken by millions of people of all colours and religions and cultures.

Americans are impressed when White people speak Spanish. Will they have a heart attack if they visit Spain or Argentina or Uruguay?

Yeah you're completely (or deliberately) missing the point that the character is still part Mexican so it doesn't matter how many white people speak spanish in Spain
wing-zero-strike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:28 am Reply with quote
It sounds like it was Price’s personal decision, and I’m so happy to see the role go to a Cuban-American! Especially given the current US administration’s racist policies against Cuban immigrants, seems like good timing.

I looked up some of Alain Mesa’s other work - he actually does a great job in MW2. I understand casting changes can be rough to fans, but I do hope people keep their (polite and respectful) criticisms on Price’s decision, and not personally towards Mesa. He deserves a fair chance, and I think he’ll be great in this role!
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:31 am Reply with quote
You know the real reason why James stepped away from the role - It's Chad. Let's be serious here. This is like voicing Tien in the Majin Buu Saga in Dragon Ball Z. He's one of the big A-Lister voice actors, he ain't got time to play a character that is basically the Yamcha of Bleach. spoiler[The final arc of the original Bleach tv series basically set Chad up for something big, then immediately dropped him.] He knows that man was done dirty.
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:40 am Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
My dude... First of all, because representation matters to people. Seeing someone with the same skin color, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity as you succeed in an industry matters. Either because you relate to that person, or because it tells you that there's a place for people like you in that industry.

So this happened to make aspiring Hispanic actors feel welcome in the industry, cool. Except had Alain gotten original roles and more work outside of this, that still would've happened AND long time fans would be able to still be happy about hearing Chad be back, everybody would win, instead a small portion of people are happy and everyone else is either annoyed, frustrated, or admittedly yeah just doesn't care. What this act REALLY says is "hey if you're a PoC actor you can get special treatment! Actors will literally give you roles because you're that role's race" Alain Mesa got special treatment for his race in this instance and that is where I and many of the people complaining have an issue. Nobody would be complaining had he been casted as literally anybody who wasn't already cast
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7