• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Concerning Reincarnated as a Sword:
Richard wrote:
Basically, it feels a bit like 15 minutes of material being stretched into 22 minutes so that the pair's first battle will happen right at the end of episode 1.

The part where the sword is going around killing the monsters on its own actually is the montage version; this is much longer and more drawn out in the novel. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised by how much the anime sped through that part.

I have a bit of an advantage on this one in that I'm familiar with the source novel, but the promise shown late in the episode when Fran and the sword finally link up keeps what is otherwise a fairly generic isekai story interesting going forward. It's easily watchable just for that, and is one I will certainly support for weekly coverage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Was planning not to watch Full Shoujo Alchemist, but the reviews got me curious about the test....
I don't think I'll be sticking with this though....

As usual I am out of sync with almost everyone else, since this is the one show of the new season* that I want to see more of. One of the prime attractions anime has for me over "western" cartoons is they assume the viewer has a decent attention span and are willing to use a slow pace.

*Other than some upcoming continuations that have not been released yet.
Kalhiki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:27 pm Reply with quote
DIY was wonderful. Truly blessed to have it and Yama no Susume in the same season.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm a sword?! - Good premier. Should be interesting to see how the pair develops.

Zero Metal Alchemist - Nice set up, but I'll have to see how it does once the actual story gets moving now that the set up is done

Shinobi - Seems fairly generic, but I appreciate using something like gymnastics to train the kid. I don't get why though everyone else around him is an active ninja, yet as the heir he's kept in the dark. It would be one thing if they kept the kids in the dark till they were older, but his childhood friend clearly wasn't.
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:29 pm Reply with quote
It looks like The Eminence in Shadow has decided to start slowly by playing things somewhat straight initially, for example by eschewing the manga's sarcastic narrator from chapter 1. At this point the MC has shown only a few hints of his lame cheesiness ("Stylish Ruffian Slayer").

Nicholas Dupree wrote:
Making an intentional parody that is also this stonefaced in its execution is a difficult tonal tightrope to walk

I like the fact they took up the challenge with the slow burn.

Quote:
An intentional self-parody of edgelord isekai protagonists could certainly be fun, especially with the sharp production and energy this first episode brings. And hey, even if it isn't intentional, it still had me laughing

Oh it's definitely intentional. It's a good example of show-don't-tell (no narrator). I can see how it could be confusing if you are going into it cold.

I love the foreshadowing where Kageno lamented that no matter how hard he trained he could never survive, say, a nuke. spoiler[So of course he later becomes the nuke.]
NozakiTomoTanakaMukhoda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:33 pm Reply with quote
The premiere episode did a pretty good job walking the line between "your usual OP protag" and "look at this chuuni who thinks he's so cool." It was a little surprising that they started with a Book 4 story, but it makes way more sense here than much later when it would feel shoehorned in.

I'm in for the whole season. Good animation and voice acting. Looking forward to more kick-ass moments followed by, "oh, this idiot doesn't even realize what's happening" chuckles.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Kalhiki wrote:
DIY was wonderful.

At least we get one CGDCT/SOL show this season. Looking forward to the next episode, even though we can guess where the plot is going.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Eminence in Shadow: That was way slower and more drawn out than I expected. I didn't crack a single laugh until the EX-MILITARY NEVER LEFT THE WAR BEHIND dude got going. Slick crowbar action, though. Hopefully the next episodes make the rest of the comedy click.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I knew what what the big gimmick for The Eminence of Shadow was going in and I'm still not quite sure what I just watched. I was definitely entertained, I'll give it that. I have a huge soft spot for chuuni characters, so I'll stick around for a couple more eps and see where this goes.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:57 pm Reply with quote
The Eminence of Shadow is a lot more stonefaced in regards to it's humor than I remember the manga being, so some tonal confusion in that regard is to be expected, but apparently it's still landing for some people. That's good, I suppose.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first episode of Eminence of Shadow, but that doesn't really tell me much about the show (though introducing the episode's viewpoint character panties-first certainly was a statement of priorities). Looking at the way it's being described by its fans, it reminds me of the approach to humor of something like Overlord, which I grew to hate as it went from absurd to sociopathic. Am I going to be asked to laugh at a bunch of superpowered folks butchering a bunch of normal people who have no chance against them? It would be nice to know now so I can bail, but sadly, the first episode was not informative on this point.

Mercury Witch's prologue had me skeptical just because the suffering parade of Gundam wasn't really what I wanted to spend my leisure time on, but the first episode had me rolling my eyes for a completely different reason. That specific high school bully, who I must have seen in about 50 different shows by now, sends me running as readily as "Everyone is so mean to me! Why don't they realize how awesome I am?" (bye, Beast Tamer) I guess we're supposed to get a sense of joy at seeing him get his comeuppance, but at the end of the day, it just feels like a different kind of bullying, where the character gets bullied by the writers. His whole reason for existence is to be the easily-defeated avatar of unfairness, brought low by the arrival of the character the writers truly love and have given overwhelmingly unfair powers (but the good kind of unfair). Of course, that's not the end of the system's unfairness, he's just the front line grunt sent out to catch the first bullet in order to demonstrate that there's actually a fight, now. It's so naked in its demand for a specific reaction I want to react oppositely just to spite the writing. The positive reactions seem to be highly referential and external ("It uses my favorite show's plot", "same-sex relationships are legit here, so take that, haters") which is not typically a good sign for the show itself.

Golden Kamuy continues to leave me in stitches with a sense of humor that, if I tried to explain to anyone else, would lead to some raised eyebrows, at best.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:20 am Reply with quote
DIY was fin, felt very retro in both art style and story. Although I could have done with less "Tsundere girl next door". I though she was going to join the club but apparently not so they could have made her less of a presence and spent more time on the DIY aspect.

I hope they're not trying to set up some sort of "old school vs modern" building techniques though, with the two rival school and all. Oh, and 3D printing something, even heart valve, isn't anywhere near the flex the show seems to think it is (or maybe it knows that and we're supposed to read that as strike against the tsundere character?).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:02 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Was planning not to watch Full Shoujo Alchemist, but the reviews got me curious about the test....
I don't think I'll be sticking with this though....

As usual I am out of sync with almost everyone else, since this is the one show of the new season* that I want to see more of. One of the prime attractions anime has for me over "western" cartoons is they assume the viewer has a decent attention span and are willing to use a slow pace.

Did I somehow give the impression that I was passing on it for being a slow burn? oO Not at all. I like stories that take their time unfolding. I just didn't like the MC very much and she seems to be a composite of a bunch of different characters that don't mesh well or make sense as a single person. Even in a slower season, I might still watch it, but I couldn't hear it click with me above the din of all the other stuff calling for attention. Smile

Like Psycho Helmet and the Giant Broccoli. Mob, knowing what you want to do isn't the same as being able to do it, so don't worry, you'll figure it out. I knew what I wanted to do in the 4th grade, but ended up more like Reigan (except for the con artist/internet sex symbol part). Smile What I want to know is who is 352nd place?

I enjoyed Eminence Front a lot. Was pretty much on the same page as Richard, except that I came into it pretty much cold beyond the basic premise. Really looking forward to more, although I already wish his crew weren't all women. Though I guess that might work ok to emphasize the chuuni fantasy part. We'll see.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:54 am Reply with quote
Mob S3 - More Mob, so no complaints here.

Eminence - Didn't know anything about this going in so it was certainly something. Chunnibyou gets his wish I guess? The (apparent) turn of the century setting looks interesting, though based on the reviews and comments it seems like the first episode isn't a good judge for the rest of the series (at least on face value).
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:35 am Reply with quote
All right, I've watched the first episodes of all the new series I'm committed to watching start-to-finish this season (Bibliophile Princess remains a strong maybe for right now). Time for impressions!

Pop Team Epic is amazing and entertaining as always. The tokusatsu parody opening was prime, I wouldn't mind it taking Hoshiiro Girldrop's place as the "don't you wish you were watching this instead?" hypo-series. I look forward to watching this every week, just as I did back in 2018.

Though I'm not a fan of the horror genre in general, thanks to a mix of not liking jump scares and the supernatural elements being far too ludicrous for me to take seriously, I can handle it in anime thanks to its specific approach to the genre. Housing Complex C so far manages to be an identifiable middle ground between American horror and Japanese horror, no doubt in part due to [adult swim] themselves bankrolling the production (and regrettably setting itself up for a position on Zaslav's chopping block next year, assuming he keeps his job). A looming sense of dread in place of cheap startles, but with horror that goes beyond pure atmosphere. For me, the joy of this anime comes from the little things, mostly meta stuff like the Rayearth poster (one of many given the Diane Thurston treatment) in the otaku's bedroom or the fact that this show has a "Bangladesh advisor" on its core staff. The only problem I can say exists with the show is that the show promos are prone to either unfortunate implications ("it was a normal town until they show up", the narrator says as it pans over to the migrant workers) or cutting so many scenes together it practically spoils the episode previewed (spoiler[the topping for the shaved ice is Momo's corpse, isn't it?]). That, and making the underlying horror Lovecraftian in nature feels a little too easy a target. The "C" in the title stands for "Cthulu", ya get it? Rolling Eyes Oh well, at least it's three steps up from Nyaruko-san, don't @ me on that.

Finally, there's Shinobi no Ittoki, my impression of which comes down to a nicer amalgamation of the site previews. It looks great and it moves great, but the story is awfully boilerplate for an original work and many of the characters are a little too simplistic to really get behind. I see vast potential for improvement with the already likable-enough Ittoki, and Tokisada is easily the best character, but despite keeping her OTN mask on for the entire episode (because she knows I like it like that Anime catgrin), Kousetsu is a little too two-dimensional for me to really get behind, and I have a feeling I'm going to despise Satomi whenever she's onscreen after her third or fourth attempt on Ittoki's life. Luckily, this show appears to be more dramatically inclined than comically so, so that's a hint she'll eventually give it up, if anything. Still, I'm so tired of watching shinobi anime where the shinobi are fighting other shinobi or another set of compatible opponents like samurai or pirates. Just once can we have an anime where the ninja are fighting normal-ass people who can put up a challenge, like the military or the police? Oh well, if anime can't give you what you want, the only recourse is to make something hypothetical in that exact vein for yourself, like I did four years ago. But now's not the time for self-promotion. Point is, Shinobi no Ittoki is a series where my stance is conflicted, and I think I'm gonna need a few more episodes before I know where my position on the spectrum of subjective quality lies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 22