• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE to Stream Akiba Maid War Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:59 pm Reply with quote
therjabundo wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Nice. With this and Urusei Yatsura Sentai/HIDIVE already has a strong lineup for Fall 2022.

Indeed, also can't wait to see this. The Sentai wave last summer was really impressive. Now that they have licensed at least ten series again for the fall, there's no way their ADR directors Kyle, John and Shannon could not be not busy again. We still have half of their summer titles left undubbed and I'm hoping When Will Ayumu Make His Move? and Tokyo Mew Mew New still get dubs.

As for their fall lineup, I'm most looking forward to Reincarnated as a Sword and The Eminence in Shadow and I hope they Dubcast them.

So which Fall 2022 anime that will Sentai/Hidive dub ? i was little bit dissapointed they got My Master Have no Tail and that means there's a zero chance it will get dub because nowadays Sentai never dub slice of life or CGDCT anime anymore.

For now Isekai or Fantasy genre is Sentai's/HIDIVE bread & butter and some of it might get dubbed. But, whenever Sentai/HIDIVE license a Slice of life, CGDCT (Cute Girls Doing Cute Things), Shoujo Romance, Idol anime, i'm pretty sure that if most of the Sentai seasonal license that was not get a DUBCAST, their home media release probably be released in sub-only, they not like CR/FUNI where they can go back and dub any anime that was never get english dub.
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Manu#12 wrote:
Nachtwandler wrote:
It's good for you who can get HiDIVE. But do you think of people in countries who cannot get it? I only have CR account because there is no other choice (you could get Wakanim in past but I hae watching with non-English subs and they are the same now either way).

I live in Europe so I get what you mean, I'm sure if everyone complained to them about this Sentai would change the way they do things, unfortunately those who live in the US don't care about Sentai/Hidive damaging every other country because they aren't affected by it, so our complaints will never get to the company. We Europeans aren't allowed to legally watch these anime because of a company that wants to be greedy, that's just how it is and it's both ironic and frustating, the moment we're about to legally get all seasonal shows another company pops up and starts licensing dozens of anime without even translating them. Wish Japanese companies cared more about how their series get distributed in the west.

Hoping I don’t sound arrogant, but have you tried using a VPN? I was able to watch HIDIVE no problem when I traveled to Japan this summer with one.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:57 am Reply with quote
Manu#12 wrote:
Nachtwandler wrote:
It's good for you who can get HiDIVE. But do you think of people in countries who cannot get it? I only have CR account because there is no other choice (you could get Wakanim in past but I hae watching with non-English subs and they are the same now either way).

I live in Europe so I get what you mean, I'm sure if everyone complained to them about this Sentai would change the way they do things, unfortunately those who live in the US don't care about Sentai/Hidive damaging every other country because they aren't affected by it, so our complaints will never get to the company. We Europeans aren't allowed to legally watch these anime because of a company that wants to be greedy, that's just how it is and it's both ironic and frustating, the moment we're about to legally get all seasonal shows another company pops up and starts licensing dozens of anime without even translating them. Wish Japanese companies cared more about how their series get distributed in the west.

I know ANN mainly focuses on the English-speaking anime market, but anime is consumed all over the world, and companies like HiDive block the legal rights of various series, leaving fans no other options to watch new shows legally. There're a few select Latin American countries where HiDive is available but not all of the series are available with subtitles, and the ones that do have subs are of questionable quality. I just hope that at least HiDive can expand quickly to other regions, but if they plan to subtitle and dub their shows, they better put some effort because the few Spanish dubs they made before leaving the region were of a really low quality, especially compared to the dubs made by Netflix, CR, Funi and even smaller companies like Anime Onegai.
Manu#12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:17 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Hoping I don’t sound arrogant, but have you tried using a VPN? I was able to watch HIDIVE no problem when I traveled to Japan this summer with one.

That's not the issue, Hidive is available in Europe and they (mostly) get exclusive global rights for their series but they only make English subtitles and sometimes Spanish subtitles 3 weeks after the episodes come out. People who don't know English or who want to watch those series subbed in their language can't and are forced to watch them through fansubs which isn't optimal and overall isn't the best solution for the industry. I imagine you're from an English-speaking country, now imagine if an European company got the global rights for a show and subbed it in many European languages but not in English, you'd be forced to wait for fansubs to put out a translation and you wouldn't be able to watch it legally, or rather you could but it wouldn't be in your language and you would have to pay, and no other streaming service would be able to get the streaming rights for the US, UK etc.

Hidive got 11 series this season (for now), that's 11 series that almost no one in Europe will watch legally, that's not good for the industry. Hidive doesn't even localize their price, it's 5 dollars in the US and it's 5 dollars everywhere else in the world even in countries that don't use dollars, and their catalog in Europe consists of around 30 series which are almost all only subbed in English. No one's gonna use their service and they'll keep getting in the way of other services who at least care about Europe. If Hidive wants to compete in Europe, and I'm not specifically against that, they need to provide a service here because as of now all they're doing is basically gatekeeping series and making sure people pirate them which I don't like, what Hidive is doing is unfair and they don't seem to care one bit, people have been asking them about this for 1 year and there's still no response from them. I'm not saying people have to boycott them or anything like that, but it would help if some at least tried to spread the news instead of ignoring the issue just because it doesn't affect them, or acting like it's not an issue because "everyone should learn English" which is what most people do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2