• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PlayStation 5 Gets Price Increase in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Australia, Japan, More Regions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Voting has its consequences, if you don't want your fancy northern countries to become latinamerica then don't vote for politicians who have the same way of thinking as theirs.

Uh, there's only two countries "north" of Latin America, and one of them isn't getting the price increase.

I am talking about Europe too.

So ... by that odd line of thought, Europe should vote less like Latin America and more like a country that didn't get the consequences of a PS5 price increase ...

... like [checks notes] the United States.

One might rethink misusing the PS5 price increase to make a poltical point.

USA has record inflation, I don't see how the fact that one item alone didn't change price changes what I said.

Sony didn't increase the price in USA for a combination of the Dollar to be an stronger currency than Euro and because it's their strongest market plus they have Microsoft's competition who can go without an increment for years. Microsoft actually just announced they are not increasing the XB's price.

Essentially, Sony is subsidizing the PS5's USA price with the increment in other countries.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

USA has record inflation, I don't see how the fact that one item alone didn't change price changes what I said.

What you said is, "Voting has its consequences." Then you proceeded, as you acknowledged in the sentence above, to demonstrate that voting in a country had no correlation with whether that country had a PS5 price increase.

Please stop misusing the PS5 price increase to make a political point it does not support.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

What you said is, "Voting has its consequences." Then you proceeded, as you acknowledged in the sentence above, to demonstrate that voting in a country had no correlation with whether that country had a PS5 price increase.

Please stop misusing the PS5 price increase to make a political point it does not support.

I meant inflation as a whole, but I understand how that can be misinterpreted, sorry for being unclear.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

The economy is overheated for the stimuli packages and the increment in the price of energy come from the green energy push without a proper plan that dissimulated investment in dirt energy.

What?

Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Companies are also hoarding money to have a war chest to survive the upcoming recession that the increment on the interest rates the governments are implementing to fix the first issue already mentioned.

You have plenty of companies that have lost money over the last two year and am few months some of them teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and this was before inflation came around.

[quote="Minos_Kurumada"] I have no idea of what you mean with the chip shortage occasioned by crypto, the increment in the cost of energy plus the crash of crypto made mining unprofitable,[/quite]

Just because crypto is in a bad state right now doesn’t mean mining for it has stopped you also have the issue of NFT’s
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Voting has its consequences, if you don't want your fancy northern countries to become latinamerica then don't vote for politicians who have the same way of thinking as theirs.

Uh, there's only two countries "north" of Latin America, and one of them isn't getting the price increase.

I am talking about Europe too.

Replica_Rabbit wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

What!? This has nothing to do with politicians, this is more about the chip shortage (because of cryptocurrency) and an ongoing pandemic. Politicians can play an effect on this, but that normally takes a couple of years (like 4 to 5 years). I have no idea why you bring that up

Anyway, maybe I should get a PS5 before the price go up over here

The economy is overheated for the stimuli packages and the increment in the price of energy come from the green energy push without a proper plan that dissimulated investment in dirt energy.

Companies are also hoarding money to have a war chest to survive the upcoming recession that the increment on the interest rates the governments are implementing to fix the first issue already mentioned.

The current economical chaos it's, at least, 80% occasioned by the economic politices that Europe, Asia and North America have implemented that could very well been planned by an Argentinean or Venezuelan politician.

I have no idea of what you mean with the chip shortage occasioned by crypto, the increment in the cost of energy plus the crash of crypto made mining unprofitable, so the second hand market is filled with cheap used cards, you can find videos from Jay, Linux and Paul talking about how cheap video cards are now if you wish.

I try to do what you did and blame something I don't like, it makes sound simpler than it is. The chip shortage is caused by supply chains (that were caused by the pandemic and other things) and it is not the push for green energy, it is more about the war that Russia (one country that has a big supply of oil) doing at the moment and the oil companies letting go a ton (around 100000 jobs was gone) of people and they take their sweet time rehiring (even though they doing record-breaking profit.) There are a ton of things happening war, pandemic, climate change, etc. Saying it is only the Politicians because they running the country like Argentinean or Venezuelan is laughable
I don't understand fully what going on, either do you
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Sony didn't increase the price in USA for a combination of the Dollar to be an stronger currency than Euro and because it's their strongest market plus they have Microsoft's competition who can go without an increment for years. Microsoft actually just announced they are not increasing the XB's price.

Essentially, Sony is subsidizing the PS5's USA price with the increment in other countries.

You contradict yourself. If the US dollar is stronger, which it is, then people in the US are paying as much as people from other countries. On that logic, your deduction of "people from other countries are paying more so that Sony can sell PS5 cheaper in the US" is untenable. Try again.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:32 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Overheating it's an economic term, it means production cannot keep with aggregate demand, the current inflation comes from the increment of aggregate demand product from the stimuli packages.

The FED itself admitted they are part of the problem, as a great economist onece said "Today's stimuli are tomorrow recessions".

And, NFTs also crashed so I don't get the example quite frankly....

Replica_Rabbit wrote:

I can write a huge wall of text explaining the reason for the cost of gas don't depend on Putin's stupid war or you can watch the video "Why Gas Got So Expensive (It’s Not the War)" by Wendover Productions.

The TL:DR is that currently, there is no logic in investing in Oil extraction right now since there is no future for dirty energies and there is an upcoming recession.

Did you know that there is enough gas to supply Spain for 30 years and Europe for a couple under Spanish floor?

They don't extract it because you need to use fracking to do so, and it's ilegal in Spain, of course, Spain's main gas seller it's USA who gets it it by fracking... but making fracking ilegal as a campaign promise from the current government.

Germany didn't need to outlaw nuclear energy, but they did because Fukushima scared a lot of voters, so now they depend of Russian gas instead of Nuclear.

France didn't need to block Spain from linking its African gas pipes to their to supply Europe, but they did because that way they can sell more nuclear energy to the rest of Europe.

Did you now that, most probably Arabia Saudi's government is lying about how much oil has left?

They claim they have for 73 years but its more likely 9.

China's housing bubble it's a bout to blow (finally), which will lower it's oil consumption too, so again, there is no reason to extract more right now.

I can go on, but I see no point on it, the current gas prices are different short-sighted governments self-interest crashing against each other in a perfect storm.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Overheating it's an economic term, it means production cannot keep with aggregate demand, the current inflation comes from the increment of aggregate demand product from the stimuli packages.

The FED itself admitted they are part of the problem, as a great economist onece said "Today's stimuli are tomorrow recessions".

And, NFTs also crashed so I don't get the example quite frankly....

Replica_Rabbit wrote:

I can write a huge wall of text explaining the reason for the cost of gas don't depend on Putin's stupid war or you can watch the video "Why Gas Got So Expensive (It’s Not the War)" by Wendover Productions.

The TL:DR is that currently, there is no logic in investing in Oil extraction right now since there is no future for dirty energies and there is an upcoming recession.

Did you know that there is enough gas to supply Spain for 30 years and Europe for a couple under Spanish floor?

They don't extract it because you need to use fracking to do so, and it's ilegal in Spain, of course, Spain's main gas seller it's USA who gets it it by fracking... but making fracking ilegal as a campaign promise from the current government.

Germany didn't need to outlaw nuclear energy, but they did because Fukushima scared a lot of voters, so now they depend of Russian gas instead of Nuclear.

France didn't need to block Spain from linking its African gas pipes to their to supply Europe, but they did because that way they can sell more nuclear energy to the rest of Europe.

Did you now that, most probably Arabia Saudi's government is lying about how much oil has left?

They claim they have for 73 years but its more likely 9.

China's housing bubble it's a bout to blow (finally), which will lower it's oil consumption too, so again, there is no reason to extract more right now.

I can go on, but I see no point on it, the current gas prices are different short-sighted governments self-interest crashing against each other in a perfect storm.

I don't really want to watch a video, I know the governments mess things up. I only reply because you make things sound simpler than it is. I know if I try looking into it, I'll show a ton of other reasons. I want people to be more round than, you vote for this or something
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Matcha8 wrote:

Common, don't be dishonest, the fact that the Dollar it's a more stable currency than Euro was one of the 2 reasons I gave. lets see how much PS5 cost across the main areas Sony raised:

US 500
Australia US 559
Canada US 501
China US 525
Europe US 550 (however Europe prices include tax, up to 21%)
Japan US 441
Mexico US 625
UK US 566 (also includes 20% VAT, so US 472 before tax)

Prices are different all across the globe and is even cheaper in various countries than in USA, so, Sony can rise the price in USA and hurt its main market while gives away market share to it's main competitor...

Or rise it for 7 areas where is not that expensive and leave USA alone, if Microsoft didn't exist you can bet Sony would have raised the price in US by $25, more or less, and not rise it so much in, say, Japan where the PS5 doesn't sell.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Cant even buy the smegging thing and they want me to pay 50 dollars more for the privilege of their inability to supply the market.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:50 am Reply with quote
If they're really increasing production, shouldn't the price go down?

This is a really bizarre move, especially considered on top of Sony recently deciding to just port all of their newer games to PC. I'm beginning to think they're deliberately trying to tank the brand.
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:02 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
what about dictatorship countries where real voting doesn't exist ?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

This is a really bizarre move, especially considered on top of Sony recently deciding to just port all of their newer games to PC. I'm beginning to think they're deliberately trying to tank the brand.

Well safe to say that’s not their intention.
Imperiled

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:58 pm Reply with quote
19 million consoles, down astronomically from the over 100 million that the PS4 sold during it's life time. Nintendo switch has far outsold the PS5 as well (also around 100 million if I'm not mistaken), and they aren't having a price increase - so I wonder what the issue actually is..
Adv193

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I payed a much heavier price for mine and I did so out of desperation due to the supply issues allowing me to get my PS5 which I had since last March.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3