• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Unveils Final Preview Clip for Resident Evil Live-Action Series Ahead of Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:32 pm Reply with quote
No thanks
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I might check it out. The trailers looked a little better than expected.

Even if the show sucks, I'm pretty confidence Lance Reddick as Wesker will be great. He was a great choice.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:28 am Reply with quote
honestly the trailer was "meh" ...which for a major IP is never good sign.
people like Re for its characters and focusing on new nobodies (as in none of main cast of series) isnt gonna make people attached.

Lance REDDICK being wesker is fine as a vocie, but if you show up a black man for something people connect to a white guy? thats not gonna have a lot of raves as it just further disconnects the series from what people know of the series.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:
people like Re for its characters and focusing on new nobodies (as in none of main cast of series) isnt gonna make people attached.

Well would you rather they use the characters from the games like the last few movies and the hardcore segment of fans complain about how they got the characters wrong?

As for people only caring about the characters?

Don’t know what research you’ve done but the characters are one of a few things that people care about with regards to the games. The others being the atmosphere and the overarching narrative of the earlier games involving Umbrella.

Firefly251 wrote:
Lance REDDICK being wesker is fine as a vocie, but if you show up a black man for something people connect to a white guy?

In the original games he’s a blond/brunette white guy, in this series he’s a black guy this isn’t as complicated as people want to make it out to be.

There are some characters in established works whose ethnicity and even gender are immutable but there are those that aren’t Wesker isn’t one of those characters whose ethnicity is immutable it’s also not the thing that people remember about the character the most.
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:

Lance REDDICK being wesker is fine as a vocie, but if you show up a black man for something people connect to a white guy? thats not gonna have a lot of raves as it just further disconnects the series from what people know of the series.

I don't like Wesker because he's white. I like Wesker for his character, and being a fun villain. And that's all I care about when it comes to whoever is playing him. To nail the spirit of the character.

Wesker's ethnicity does not matter. It's not crucial to this character. Wesker wasn't a white character, he was a character that just so happened to be white. So casting does not have to be limited to that in an adaptation.

And it's Lance Reddick playing Wesker, he's pretty good. Why would anyone in their right mind be opposed to that casting?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1