• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Creator Ken Akamatsu Wins Seat in Japan's House of Councillors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazerem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:39 am Reply with quote
vampiyan wrote:
Quote:
Eh? Massive meltdown? I see literally nobody here doing that. All I see is people voicing their opinions and giving criticism, y'know the things adults do, and others fist pumping in victory against the imaginary enemy they've invented that wants to take all their anime away.

I guess you haven't seen Twitter today. A lot of the usual pro-censorship industry people are upset at this news and passing around an article about why Ken Akamatasu is a bad person. I think the general dislike for this news can be summed up as basically that one Garfield meme of him looking at a sign and asking "I wonder who's that's for?" They know this kind of mindset people have about 'foreign meddling' is specifically talking about them. A common thing I've seen in recent years is activists trying to get international attention on a subject in an attempt to drum up bad PR and force Japan to change from outside pressure by tagging foreign news outlets in things. We saw a lot of it leading up to the Tokyo Olympics. The whole Tawawa thing was just one of the more recent examples.

I haven't seen any mention of this on Twitter today, maybe you need to do some cleanup on your following list to keep negativity off your feed? Because this sounds like a case of going out of your way to find people to be upset with.
coreymon77

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:06 am Reply with quote
americananimotk wrote:
Keep political propaganda out of anime!

Clearly you have not watched any anime or, for that matter, consumed any form of media or artistic expression out there.

It doesn't matter if it's books, tv shows, movies, songs, paintings, drawings, comics, games, all artist expression is political.

If you haven't noticed this it's because you only think it's "political propaganda" when it's something you don't like, are told not to like, or is the outrage bait of the day.

And don't go saying that Japan or Japanese artistic types are somehow above it. I'm delving into video games because that's where my head is right now, but video games certainly fall under a "large Japanese export that has a heavy look at the foreign market (and "keep politics out of video games is a similar argument"). I could certainly come up with anime examples, though. Having a message also doesn't mean something is bad or worse for it.

The Persona games, and Shin Megami Tensei in general, is rather heavy handed in its social commentary. The Final Fantasy series routinely has political messages and themes in it. If you somehow missed FF7's blatant environmental message, I don't know what to tell you. There is also FFX's rather unkind words to say about organized religion. Yet these are some of the most acclaimed games out there.

It's always been like this. You just never noticed because either you were too young to notice or it was something you agreed with.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:12 am Reply with quote
andramus wrote:

Just a possibility but maybe they're upset because they are a 10-15 year old. Probably not but I suspect there are a lot of 10-15 year olds well more like 12-15 year olds who like ecchi.

It's not illegal for a 12 year old to buy Jump Square. Anyone can read Jump or Jump Square, the demographic target is just for optics.

Quote:
Also isn't full frontal nudity a bit of an exaggeration when genitalia is never depicted? As far as I can recall characters are drawn like Ken and Barbie dolls downstairs in any manga that's not a hentai.

No, it's not. Are you familiar with Kentaro Yabuki's work at all? We were discussing a specific series. It's nipples. If you head over to his ANN encyclopedia page you can read articles we've written specifically on the different creative ways he's added sexual content and nudity to his series. This isn't just like, some panning frames of a character in a shower.

kakugo complete wrote:
It is to me when he says it's a result of learning from "overseas political correctness" and not taking pointers on how to make strong female characters from, say, Rose of Versailles. He's not the one who cited "overseas criticism" as the reason either (I wish I could recall the name of the yuri dating sim artist who said that but I'm gonna go with Marvelous Entertainment citing the Olympics as a reason to censor stuff). US feminism is doodoo now and Japan has a far better history of female representation.

Who cares? He can only make a decision about how he wants to improve his writing as long as it comes from people that are the same nationality as him? What exactly is the purpose of the internet and interacting with fans and people across the world? This really opens up the underlying idea that people have of Japan being this walled off land of ideological purity and any interactions they have internationally is poisoning it.

Entertainment is global and we're all able to enjoy things like anime despite most of us on this website not being Japanese. Japanese creators go to events around the world to meet the people that enjoy their stories and interact with their fans. That also means they care, to some degree or another, about viewers thoughts and feelings about their work. What is the point in sharing feelings and art across the world but then saying "don't pay any attention to THOSE fans' they aren't from your country?"

On at least three occasions at AX, the creators shot video on their phone at the end of a panel just to share that enthusiasm with the staff back in Japan. They obviously care about how their work is perceived beyond just viewers in Japan and if they want to also be open-minded to ideas they haven't considered, whether those ideas are proposed by an American or anywhere else, than that's allowed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:27 am Reply with quote
lazerem wrote:
vampiyan wrote:
I guess you haven't seen Twitter today. ...

I haven't seen any mention of this on Twitter today, maybe you need to do some cleanup on your following list to keep negativity off your feed? Because this sounds like a case of going out of your way to find people to be upset with.

I haven't seen much either. The few posts who do(speaking as someone who doesn't have twitter and has to use alternative means of searching for them) are getting HEAVY pushback, to the point some are already deleted.

Threads on some other places, like the Resetera forums, with their specific kind of userbase(read, pro-censorship), on the other hand...(that one quote about the infamous spaceport in Star Wars crosses the mind when thinking of suitable descriptors...)
Sakurafire_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:31 am Reply with quote
It's something that has bothered me since he announced his candidacy. I feel like there are very obvious ulterior motives here. I'm a little surprised that the ANN article didn't touch the subject. Here is a statement via CBR:

Akamatsu has also received criticism for pushing for more artistic freedom rather than pushing for stricter laws on the overworked animation and manga industries. Those who are familiar with his works are dubious to his reasons for running as he has a history of drawing minors in compromising positions and situations. Others fully support his platform and the push for more lenient censorship laws. While it is true that Japan's laws are some of the more strict on a global scale, the question then becomes what are the limits to artistic expression when it comes to depicting minors?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:41 am Reply with quote
Sakurafire_ wrote:
It's something that has bothered me since he announced his candidacy. I feel like there are very obvious ulterior motives here. I'm a little surprised that the ANN article didn't touch the subject. Here is a statement via CBR:

Akamatsu has also received criticism for pushing for more artistic freedom rather than pushing for stricter laws on the overworked animation and manga industries. Those who are familiar with his works are dubious to his reasons for running as he has a history of drawing minors in compromising positions and situations. Others fully support his platform and the push for more lenient censorship laws. While it is true that Japan's laws are some of the more strict on a global scale, the question then becomes what are the limits to artistic expression when it comes to depicting minors?

There is no ulterior motive, his platform is very clear and open on the freedom of expression for ACG(Anime, Comics, Games) and that it needs to be protected.

Quote:
Those who are familiar with his works are dubious to his reasons for running as he has a history of drawing minors in compromising positions and situations

Yes, that IS included in the freedom talked on his platform.

Quote:
While it is true that Japan's laws are some of the more strict on a global scale, the question then becomes what are the limits to artistic expression when it comes to depicting minors?

As far as fiction(ACG)? There should be none, as per his platform. He's very clear that there's a difference real life vs fiction, non-victim vs real victim.
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:34 am Reply with quote
kakugo complete wrote:
It is to me when he says it's a result of learning from "overseas political correctness" and not taking pointers on how to make strong female characters from, say, Rose of Versailles.

I would have to guess because no one in Japan asked him for it and it was only once he went to American conventions he heard people talk about it and ask for it? Or maybe he's just saying things to appease those oversea fans who made a career trashing SAO on Youtube and has no real plans to do it. I don't read the LNs so I don't know what's actually changed in the series. I assume the anime wont reach that part for awhile
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:48 am Reply with quote
vampiyan wrote:
Quote:
Eh? Massive meltdown? I see literally nobody here doing that. All I see is people voicing their opinions and giving criticism, y'know the things adults do, and others fist pumping in victory against the imaginary enemy they've invented that wants to take all their anime away.

I guess you haven't seen Twitter today. A lot of the usual pro-censorship industry people are upset at this news and passing around an article about why Ken Akamatasu is a bad person. I think the general dislike for this news can be summed up as basically that one Garfield meme of him looking at a sign and asking "I wonder who's that's for?" They know this kind of mindset people have about 'foreign meddling' is specifically talking about them. A common thing I've seen in recent years is activists trying to get international attention on a subject in an attempt to drum up bad PR and force Japan to change from outside pressure by tagging foreign news outlets in things. We saw a lot of it leading up to the Tokyo Olympics. The whole Tawawa thing was just one of the more recent examples.

You're right, I haven't seen anything negative on twitter today. Also, the person I responded to said "In here" as in on this forum. Which says to me that they have a problem conflating any criticism with "having a meltdown" because I see none of the latter in here.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:53 am Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
And let's be honest, it's more and more frequent that mangas that come out in app or official online sites have the ecchi completely censored and only shown in the bound volumes.

And curiously, the violence is left untouched.

It's not "more and more frequent", it's been that way for literal decades. Retouching the art for quality and removal of censorship is one of the primary marketing points in DVD and tankobon sales, and has been that way forever.

One great example is DOGS: Bullets & Carnage, where the magazine release was often an empty wasteland and almost every panel saw a complete redraw for a tankobon release.

On the anime side, Code Geass, Seikon no Qwaser, Madoka Magica, Monogatari and numerous other shows saw heavy redraws upon moving from TV to DVD.

There's nothing to be "honest" about, this is just you misrepresenting a marketing tactic that's been around for a good 20 years to suit your argument.
Gamen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:03 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
kakugo complete wrote:
It is to me when he says it's a result of learning from "overseas political correctness" and not taking pointers on how to make strong female characters from, say, Rose of Versailles.

I would have to guess because no one in Japan asked him for it and it was only once he went to American conventions he heard people talk about it and ask for it? Or maybe he's just saying things to appease those oversea fans who made a career trashing SAO on Youtube and has no real plans to do it. I don't read the LNs so I don't know what's actually changed in the series. I assume the anime wont reach that part for awhile

Except for the newest, post-web novel arc, the anime has adapted basically everything. As far as I know, he's only said (paraphrased) that he regrets using the threat of sexual violence to introduce tension and stakes. Also AFAIK the only real change was from the WN to the published novels which changed the rape of two characters into an attempted rape - which might be more standards & practices on the Japanese side than any foreign influence. If there was anything it'd be in the last half of the Underworld arc which I haven't watched or read....but again, AFAIK if anything it's just that he's had an epiphany or is going to self-censor, so it's only relevant to his newer works. And indeed I can't think of anything in SAO Progressive, or the Isolator, and only - if it even counts - that blackmail incident early on in Accel World.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:51 am Reply with quote
I can give two examples (I have to be vague though) where the Japanese publisher of one of the books we publish have come to us, the English publisher, asking for advice about sections of the novels which "might be interpreted as insensitive or hurtful to minority groups" which should be modified for anime adaptations of the original source material.
Or well, not modified so much as probably just cut for time.

This request usually came not from the Japanese publisher itself, but the original author who wants to make sure their work is accepted well overseas, especially once it becomes an anime.

I think the reaction to shield hero and mushokutensei overseas have most definitely percolated around the light novel authors in Japan so many of them are trying to make sure if their works get adapted to anime that that anime is recieved with as little controversy as possible.

If you want to call that a form of self censorship, I dunno, but it's happened twice now.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:06 am Reply with quote
Gamen wrote:
And indeed I can't think of anything in SAO Progressive, or the Isolator, and only - if it even counts - that blackmail incident early on in Accel World.
Technically in Isolator v1 you have spoiler[The Biter angling for a JK's legs, but at the end of the day that's just cannibalism.] Nothing else approaching that specific nuance or atmosphere comes to mind.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:25 am Reply with quote
It's great news, hopefully he'll help keep the censors at bay including the western varieties, because they're still up to no good, in fact they're slowly getting worse.

If I were you, I would probably abandon Twitter, that place is going to get even worse now that Musk backed out of the deal because the site got exposed for being mostly fake, then you have the drama that has become more pettier and insane by the day, things that were glanced over 3 years ago are now suddenly a big deal.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:42 am Reply with quote
Gamen wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

GasterTheGreat wrote:

He's criticized things like feminism, affirmative action, and other concepts that have threatened creative freedom in anime and manga

Yeah, nothing threatens creative freedom more than (checks notes) women getting equal pay and minorities getting jobs.

Yeah, it's a little more nuanced than that; it's not feminism he's criticized, but attacks on arguably sexualizing/objectifying depictions of women. And I assume the reference to affirmative action is a likewise oversimplified reference to his comments from two years ago detailed in Ken Akamatsu Comments on Casting POC Voice Actors in American Cartoons, Japanese Anime

pretty much the only time I disagreed with his actions/words. He really is incapable of understanding that situation since he lives in a country that's largely one group and he's of course a member of said large group. He can't possibly understand the issues of not being represented properly in media. It's also just racist to have white people doing impressions of Asian accents.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:06 am Reply with quote
Gamen wrote:
Guile wrote:
kakugo complete wrote:

Except for the newest, post-web novel arc, the anime has adapted basically everything. As far as I know, he's only said (paraphrased) that he regrets using the threat of sexual violence to introduce tension and stakes. Also AFAIK the only real change was from the WN to the published novels which changed the rape of two characters into an attempted rape - which might be more standards & practices on the Japanese side than any foreign influence. If there was anything it'd be in the last half of the Underworld arc which I haven't watched or read....but again, AFAIK if anything it's just that he's had an epiphany or is going to self-censor, so it's only relevant to his newer works. And indeed I can't think of anything in SAO Progressive, or the Isolator, and only - if it even counts - that blackmail incident early on in Accel World.

I sat in on an press round table with him...years ago now where he was asked about his treatment of Asuna directly and, according to what he said at the time. He considered the Mother's Rosario arc a way of making up for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8