• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nobuteru Yuki, Raita Kazama, Domerica, More Reveal Project TriTri Action RPG

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:48 am Reply with quote
That's some nice art.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:37 pm Reply with quote
When I read through this, I thought, "Wow, that's an impressive lineup!" But then, I thought, "This feels suspiciously like the FuRyu formula: get a bunch of devs who worked on beloved games, and use the nostalgia value of those past projects to generate hype for this new game that it probably wouldn't have otherwise."

As it turns out, after a little digging, the JP publisher *drumroll* IS FuRyu. Does anyone remember Legend of Legacy? How about The Alliance Alive? Both were marketed in the exact same way as this new game, and both, uh...failed to set the gaming world on fire.

There's a growing contingent of Japan's gaming space that seems to be trying to capture the feel of the RPGs we loved growing up, but attempts to actually do this have (IMO) been more miss than hit. If making a great game was simply a matter of throwing a bunch of people who'd worked on good titles onto a team together, I think we'd see breakout hits more regularly than we actually do.

I'll always appreciate the work this staff have put in on their past projects, and I hope they'll continue to make great things in the future, too. It's just hard not to be cynical about the way FuRyu trots out this marketing strategy over and over, compared with the actual games that have resulted from that.

Last edited by ittoujuu on Fri May 20, 2022 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:37 pm Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:
As it turns out, after a little digging, the JP publisher *drumroll* IS FuRyu. Does anyone remember Legend of Legacy? How about The Alliance Alive? Both were marketed in the exact same way as this new game, and both, uh...failed to set the gaming world on fire.
I liked Legend of Legacy! The Alliance Alive has also been on my list for ages, but I recently caved in to my darkest impulses and started Final Fantasy XI, so it'll be a while before I get around to it. I do see your basic point, though.

Hopefully, someday, FANTASIAN will be freed from Apple Arcade jail and the posers can see how it's done.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Haha, digging into an MMO does kind of short-circuit one's ability to keep up with console gaming, alas! But I hope you enjoy your foray in FFXI.

I'm right there with you waiting for Fantasian to escape from Apple jail. I'd really like to see a premium, paid, non-gacha RPG for mobile platforms become a broader success (perhaps in the hope it sparks something in other developers, too). Plus, I appreciate that while Sakaguchi and co.'s creative output has varied, he doesn't simply rest on his laurels as the father of the Final Fantasy series. He's out there trying weird, new stuff that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, and I can respect that.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:10 am Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:

In all fairness, Legend of Legacy was pretty fun even if it was nothing incredible, and I actually loved Alliance Alive. It did a great job of recapturing the things I loved about PS1-era JRPGs that have been discarded by modern titles. Heck, AA has one of the best soundtracks Hamauzu has composed, IMO.

Getting a bunch of noteworthy names to contribute to a budget title is definitely part of their marketing strategy, but they still make some solid games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1