• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: How Disney+ Is Promoting Itself To Japanese Anime Companies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I could see slice-of-life shows with very little to no objectionable content such as Non Non Biyori, Azumanga Daioh, and K-On! (which was already shown in reruns on Disney Channel in Japan) working well on Disney Plus outside of Japan.

Of course, they'd need to dub Non Non Biyori first to hypothetically get it on to Disney Plus in English-speaking areas of the world and all of the specific shows I mentioned might be off-limits to Disney in North America anyway if they're already available on competing streaming platforms. And Disney would probably crop Azumanga Daioh to widescreen like they already do for classic Simpsons, ugh.

EDIT: On second thought, Azumanga Daioh probably wouldn't be suitable for Disney Plus anyway primarily because of Mr. Kimura's overall creepish behaviour, even if the whole point of the character is that everybody thinks he's super-creepy "in universe".

Last edited by Tenchi on Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Weird Guy wrote:
Get ready to watch anime with scenes changed or modified

Like how in the Japanese airing of Jojo certain scene had to be modified?

Because a minor smoking cigarettes or scenes of violence are bad.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:18 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
dsfjr1190 wrote:
Disney may say they won't censor anime, but the fact that they currently censor and remove episodes of The Simpsons makes me believe otherwise.

I think American audiences and anime fans are two different things.
I think that's part of the concern. I feel disney has a decent understanding of American audiences, but not anime audiences. Things like day and date releases, quality subs, and no censorship are huge concerns with anime fans. I honestly don't know how it will turn out, but I can imagine Disney licensing something and then getting cold feet if nudity starts popping up

Yes - Disney+ is no stranger to censorship. They went back and edited two That's So Raven episodes after their "how did that make it on the Disney Channel?" moments went viral, and are streaming censored versions of Adventures in Babysitting and Splash around the globe. I'd like to hope they'd be hands-off, but if distributors that specifically put out and should understand anime can crush that hope, I'm not putting that faith in Disney.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:42 pm Reply with quote
JennLegacy wrote:
The possibility of Disney picking up kid friendly shows was actually what I was really hoping for when D+ first went up. There's so many cute/cool kids and preschool anime that never leave Japan because they're outside of what the typical westerner views anime as. I'd love for some of them to finally find a home in the west

Yeah, I miss the days were kid-friendly anime were more prevalent, I grew up watching shows like Digimon Adventure, Medabots, Monster Rancher. Shows like Pokémon and Beyblade are still being dubbed in many languages but there isn't as much variety as it used to. Recently here in Latin America some Doraemon movies were added to HBO Max, those are the few all-ages anime available in the platform.
MysticGon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:54 pm Reply with quote
The companies will likely treat it like any other Western company. Let them overpay for garbage while using that money to put their best efforts in more traditional routes like television works and films. I'm not worried except for the poor staff that will be overworked to satisfy contractual obligations.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:58 pm Reply with quote
MysticGon wrote:
The companies will likely treat it like any other Western company. Let them overpay for garbage while using that money to put their best efforts in more traditional routes like television works and films. I'm not worried except for the poor staff that will be overworked to satisfy contractual obligations.

You can't blame disney for this. Look, corporations are evil, but the overworked and underpaid staff is a JAPAN thing. Japan's wage and employment system is, problematic, at the least. In fact, disney animators in the USA have admitted they are paid very well and have living conditions. This is not disney, same as its not netflix or any other western group. You want change, their needs to be legal changes in the japanese workforce.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Like, very gory or sexual anime?

Exactly, but really anything that doesn't fit their brand image. Especially since it's animated, it would be easy for a headline to spin it that Disney is showing objectionable cartoons to children.

And hopefully this isn't where it gets pointed out that one of the licensed series they've already got has a ton of the stuff Laughing
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:06 pm Reply with quote
If Disney+ would invest in a Owl House anime that would be sublime I highly doubt that day will ever arrive. If they're serious about taking on the anime medium then naturally put your money where your mouth is Disney actually step up and produce more anime content for your viewers.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:34 am Reply with quote
I liked Disney cartoons when I was a kid, I liked those Hayao Miyazaki anime on Disney (don't think they were edited for content, but I don't know), and if any partnership develops which is made with real little children in mind, then that is great.

But using the Disney name for anime not strictly catering to children, then that is what is called: "Family Friendly Hell!".

Not saying they are not going to be able to put out something good, but if I am going to watch Disney influenced anime, it would be much simplier to just watch Disney animation.

I don't know how much interest there is in Disney inspired or Disney controlled anime for those that are not children.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:43 am Reply with quote
One thing I'm more concerned about more than censorship paranoia is what this means for physical releases of the anime Disney+ licenses as Disney has been on the record content premiering on Disney+ will not be released on physical. Also will they use proper subtitle translations for their anime as I recall Star Wars Visions used dubtitles and this was never fixed. I also find it amusing that Disney is just pretending they didn't have any role to play in releasing Studio Ghibli films in the US for two decades as part of their marketing pitch now that they don't have the rights to Ghibli anymore.
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:21 am Reply with quote
Hey! Disney! How About that Kingdom Hearts Anime?? you literally Have over 100 properties To Make one. lol
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:02 am Reply with quote
iamthevastuniverse wrote:
If Disney+ would invest in a Owl House anime that would be sublime I highly doubt that day will ever arrive. If they're serious about taking on the anime medium then naturally put your money where your mouth is Disney actually step up and produce more anime content for your viewers.

Owl house was cancelled because Disney decided it "didn't fit the Disney brand," because of all that girl on girl hand holding action. Once the show is finished airing expect it to be buried hard.

I do not want Disney anywhere near anime. They have already swallowed and homogenized enough of the entertainment industry, I don't want to see them do the same thing to anime. Anime has its issues but I like it because western mega-media conglomerates haven't stuck their fingers in it yet.
Anne F

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:23 am Reply with quote
I'll just be happy if the Twisted Wonderland anime isn't exclusive to Disney+ JP because I am definitely interested in watching it!
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:08 am Reply with quote
Even if they say they wont alter things, they've shown to do just that with other movies and shows on Disney+. I don't really believe them. I wonder what this will lead to, though
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:35 am Reply with quote
It will probabbly heavily tie in with their huge ips like star wars and marvel. Visions definitely felt it was made towards star wars fans due to abundance of sw references made that anime fans who haven't seen the saga wont get
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4