• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love of Kill

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:41 am Reply with quote
Really upping Chateau's cute moments.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:34 am Reply with quote
Unless I really missed something, they messed up on the continuity during the murder. They went to great pains to show him not-at-all-suspiciously closing the curtains, then the next frame after showing the kill about to happen, we see the city view through the open curtains with the sound effect of the silenced shot and glass and body falling. Who storyboarded this?

Also, longest sunset in history. Smile
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Chateau continues to be (for me at least,) the very weakest past of the show. Well, aside from Jim but he is so far out of focus it doesn't come up often. 4 episodes in and we have theoretically intriguing mysteries about her, but she herself is still stoic, bland, and uninteresting, so I don't really care.

On the plus side, she did manage to make a kill in the latest episode: my interest in the show. I guess I'll keep looking at reviews to see if it ever goes anywhere interesting, but I'm dropping this.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Today's side theory: Chateau Noble wasn't her name, but where she's from. Song's name is less an individual's name and more a name given to whomever is the current elite assassin in whatever Chinese Korean Italian ninja clan he was raised by, a la Lupin.

I don't think that's how stun guns work...? The voltage doesn't incapacitate you just because it's painful (which it is), but because it spasms all your muscles (and would do so even if you were unconscious or dead, like twitching a frog's detached leg), among other effects that chronic drug abuse wouldn't shield you from. Wearing winter clothes would have made a better excuse. But sheesh, she's been clocked by the same guy twice now. smh
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Chateau being adopted by the Dankworths was actually pretty sweet, even if it's suspicious that she was found with seemingly Song's dead body...somehow. And her name is the only thing she remembers but it might not be her real name.

Is Chateau ever going to get to do anything? She doesn't get to shoot any of their assailants and her big effort with the stun gun was useless because of contrived writing. I guess at the very least she can get out of a car with a bomb in it while handcuffed, but that also basically spoiled the tension of the end of the episode.

I love how Song and Ho's big fight was off-screen, although I guess they're continuing it in the next episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At the same time, it's pretty obvious who the culprit actually is considering how fatal the wound looked, so I don't know why the show is even bothering to frame it like it's Ryang-ha's doing. But who knows, maybe I'm in for a surprise next week.

Well, the killer was wearing those same purple basketball sneakers that knife-wielding Hou had on when we last saw him, so I guess I'd be surprised if he somehow didn't die in Ep 5. Otherwise it's obviously the kid assassin who's been stalking them for awhile, since I don't think Song owns a pair of sneakers and he took a gun with him. Maybe those shoes are like the publicly acceptable equivalent of the spider face tat. Smile

But yeah, this agency has really been a failure on pretty much every job they've had (although I guess the wife-client is still alive and only her husband-bodyguard is dead this time). I sure as hell would never hire them for anything. And I couldn't help but think as he's standing by the railing waiting to meet a man he knows is an assassin, lamp-shading that he shouldn't have come alone, that no weapon was even needed - just shove him over the railing into the sea.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised they killed off the boss character when the Opening prominently displayed him as a main character and we're barely even at the halfway point.

Maybe it's some kind of karma for hitting the jackpot with his wife (beautiful, rich, and voiced by Maaya Sakamoto) that he had to go and do something dumb and get killed while trying to advance the plot. Is his wife going to take over to avenger her husbands' death.

Chateau looked fabulous in that dress.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, ok, boss survived if you say so, series. But a knife to the throat that is not centered on the trachea would slice the carotid, so yeah.

I'm thinking Song went off the reservation in not killing Chateau or delivering her or whatever he was supposed to have done back then, so now Assassin Daddy Donny is siccing his other children on him now. Though why he'd wait 15 or 20 some years to do so, beats me.

Looks like No Mouth Kid is next on the fake chopping block.

Sure wish they'd dial back the melodramatic piano music. It doesn't fit and is too loud, often drowning out the dialog.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what stood out to me more, the inexplicable fake-out of Jim's death or Chateau actually successfully taking someone out. I'm so proud of her!

I wonder what's up with Song. Is this all because he killed the original Song and stole his identity? And Chateau was kidnapped?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, ok, Jim survived if you say so, series. But the broken glass couldn't possibly have hit him far enough ahead of the bullet for him to react, even by reflex, so yeah.

I guess she did good taking him down, but she couldn't have done without Jim throwing a chair at him first. Still, it's an improvement.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:05 pm Reply with quote
The Jim thing confused me. My only guess is that either the glass somehow hit him and he reacted faster than the bullet, or Jim being short made the assassin shoot above his head instead of through it?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:09 pm Reply with quote
So what is going on? It seems like "Ryang-Ha" knew the original Ryang-Ha, and they were together in the car with Chateau, but did our Song kill the original and steal his identity? It didn't seem like he knew about Donny, but is this all connected somehow?

Well, Chateau needed to be saved again (no surprise that picked Song back up again despite his wounds), but hopefully they can work together as equals now to survive.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Annie Wilkes here, but in previous flashbacks our Song was not in the cockadoodie car! About 3 min into Ep 8 (it's easier to see how no one is beside him in motion):

(click for larger image)

Anyway, given how different he looks now, I still feel like it should've occurred to me that Danny's Song isn't the present one. I just figured Song picked up an accomplice along the way, killed him and gave him his ID so no one would look for him, and rescued Chateau.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Song and Chateau pretending to be a married couple and Song making a joke about Chateau being pregnant with her not getting it was priceless.

So this was never about what happened to the original Ryang-Ha, at least directly, it was all about Chateau from day one. Did Donny want to make her another one of his killer kids? Is this about Chateau's father? It seems like he left her behind because he was trying to make a new life for them, before he presumably was killed.

Did Chateau kill the original Song because she realized (or was told) he was basically kidnapping her to give to Donny?

So we finally see how the original and future Song met. The original Song really was just a street urchin until the original ended up saving him on a spur of the moment meeting. And then they got stuck together.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:11 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Did Chateau kill the original Song because she realized (or was told) he was basically kidnapping her to give to Donny?

What makes you think Chateau had the wherewithal to kill anybody for any reason? She can barely pull that off as a grown woman, let alone a what, 5 year old child? Never mind. Embarassed

I'm pretty sure that present Song did OG Song in and called in the authorities to take care of Chateau [ok, wrong again! Embarassed], but after the cheat of adding him into the passenger seat, I'm not sure it's safe to speculate on anything now. Series gonna do what it wants, regardless of what it's already done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3