• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Konjiki no Gash/Zatch Bell! Manga Gets New Series in Mid-March

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:22 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

Maybe because there’s been no legal access to either the manga or anime (Crunchyroll isn’t streaming it anymore) in English for some time now? And even when the English audience had access, going by the article, neither the manga nor anime were available in their entirety.

I mean had the series caught fire like DBZ and Pokémon wouldn’t that increased access had come after the fact?
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Missed out on this series back in the day but I'd certainly give a reboot or complete manga re-release a chance.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Gash bell was one of the first manga I collected growing up. To see it come back makes me happy.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:32 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't help that this masterpiece got the "collectible marketable monster" treatment and was treated like a Digimon or Pokémon type kids show instead of an emotional Shonen Drama. I'd say it was hit almost as hard as Cardcaptor Sakura, but at least you can legally watch that in Japanese. My lawyers have advised I not admit to how I viewed the manga and uncut anime.
DevilBrew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Definitely good news to see Raiku finally make his return to manga. Never thought the zatch bell masterpiece would get a sequel but its still great news. Since the mamodo battles take place once every 1000 years, I hope the sequel isn't some weird sci-fi setting cause that would be a major turnoff.

Kodasha USA, please publish zatch bell.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:56 pm Reply with quote
KnG is back! All these 20/25/30th anniversary announcements happening.

cchigu wrote:
veemonjosh wrote:
cchigu wrote:
One of the better Jump titles for sure.

Gash Bell isn't a Jump series. It's not even published by Shueisha.
Whoops, my bad. I wonder why I was under the impression that it was a Jump manga.

Read the article in FULL first before commenting. It's literally the 1st sentence under the video.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Cool now only if we could get those bastards to release the anime and the manga in its complete physical form highly doubt it will ever happen but I can dream.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:59 pm Reply with quote
iamthevastuniverse wrote:
Cool now only if we could get those bastards to release the anime and the manga in its complete physical form highly doubt it will ever happen but I can dream.

I just hope that if they do release/re-release it, it'll go the way of "The Sailor Moon" and get an uncut dub with proper names and zero cuts. For whatever reason, Viz marketed and treated the show like it was a children's anime instead of a Shonen Title. The only way we've ever been able to watch or read it without the strange edits was illegally, and that's not exactly a way that's preferred by anyone. I have hope though, since Discotek released the two movies of Gash Bell. Strangely, while the movies refer to the series as "Zatch Bell," the characters are all referred to in the subtitles by their Japanese names.

On the note of making "Zatch Bell" a childish version of "Gash Bell," does anyone else remember the old PS2 game, Mamodo's Fury? It was weird. They had "Zatch" say a few curse words (I distinctly remember the dub cutscene of that game having him say "Bastard"). It always felt like a confused release, which might explain why the dub never actually concluded. Maybe when the "Market it like Digimon and remove all the violence, mature themes, and replace the entire OST with generic stuff" didn't work out, Viz gave up and stopped at an early point. Old shames aren't something that companies like to admit though, so I doubt we'll ever get a real answer.

On a more positive note, Konjiki no Gash Bell is my absolute favorite manga ever and the only one to make me shed tears regularly. I want this announcement to mean that we're getting a new anime, but I doubt it. It's too painful for me to hold out hope after all this time.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:23 am Reply with quote
Viz lost the rights to both the anime and manga a long time ago and considering that the former was since rescued by a joke of a company (Cinedigm), it's movies being licensed by a better company (Discotek) and the latter being tied to the author in a similar way to what happened with Shaman King (major falling out with original publisher), Viz will not be re-releasing either of them ever.

The manga in Japan is currently under Raiku's own company (no longer under Kodansha either) so who knows if or when it'll ever get licensed again but it won't be through Viz.
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:37 am Reply with quote
Very Melon, yeah!

Best news I've heard all day.
Donkey-er

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:59 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Viz lost the rights to both the anime and manga a long time ago and considering that the former was since rescued by a joke of a company (Cinedigm), it's movies being licensed by a better company (Discotek) and the latter being tied to the author in a similar way to what happened with Shaman King (major falling out with original publisher), Viz will not be re-releasing either of them ever.

The manga in Japan is currently under Raiku's own company (no longer under Kodansha either) so who knows if or when it'll ever get licensed again but it won't be through Viz.

Thanks for this information, now I know I really shouldn't get my hopes up for a rerelease.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Donkey-er wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

Thanks for this information, now I know I really shouldn't get my hopes up for a rerelease.

This actually gets my hopes up. Maybe I'm just huffing some good old fashioned "cope-ium," but if Funimation ever rescues and redubs it, it'll be a dream come true for me. Heck, I'm not even that picky. I'll accept Sentai.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:55 am Reply with quote
I gotta say if people's only experience with Raiku's work was the toonami dub of Zatch Bell and none of it's manga version, let alone it's last arc or other works like animal land, I can only imagine the amount of whiplash one would get.

Being self published and all, while I do hope for there to be a legal way to read it in English I can only wonder what form that would take, especially considering the original manga never got fully translated in the states to begin with...
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:47 am Reply with quote
Not the sequel I expected, but a welcome one all the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2