• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Genius Prince's Guide to Raising a Nation Out of Debt

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tropical Forest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes I just can't with this show's way of storytelling, the editing and consequently the pacing are just all over the place. And episode 6 feels the worst in this case so far. It certainly feels rushed, but it's more than that, the curve is spiky if that makes sense.

On another note, the new chapter seems intriguing with hints of overarching plot, I just hope that later episodes offer more comfortable viewing.
Zefram

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6-7 managed to condense a whole novel into 2 episode arc. I wonder if they want to give more episode time for more engrossing novel 4 or will they really try to fit in 2 or more books in the remaining 5-6 episodes?
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I like Wein- he's more clever than most, predicts most things, and still is either undone by people taking surprising actions...or by his own temper. And apparently I've been underestimating how common Wein's temper is- his guard's understated "Ah, I see. Well, finish up quickly." is both telling and hilarious.

Caldmellia is...weird. I guess the best comparison is the Joker? Winning and losing, gain and loss, none of it matters. Presuming I understand her right, at least thus far, she just wants a spectacle of chaos, no big goal, or ideal required. So, how does someone like that get personally loyal agents? How did she get to a position of official power? Also, how old is she supposed to be? Lots of questions.

I can tell that they're running through a fair amount of material, as the pacing feels a bit rushed, but it doesn't feel like a lot is being left behind. I'm still following events fairly easily. Maybe the absences will be felt further down the cour?
Lirsen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:08 pm Reply with quote
The more i see this adaptation the more I'm hating it because the "fast pace". Not only they skill parts that would make the next ones make more sense like the mine trap in the second chapter, that they ignored two major characters completely in this last one and half explained why wein was called by ordalasse. Why couldn't them make a " slow and detailed" one like the realist? ( BTW: I'm hating the adaptation not the anime itself, i readed the novels and I'm enjoying the anime but hating the pace)
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps it'd be different if I had read the novels this is based on, and maybe I'm alone on this, but I'm losing favor with this series. I don't necessarily dislike the trope of "genius leader outwits enemies even though they just want to retire from all of it" but Wein's effort relative to the complexity of the plots, the odds he overcomes, the assistance he actually gets in executing his schemes, are just too extreme. The ability for him to even get out of the city after killing the king in the last episode is beyond ludicrous to the point it feels less like bending the rules and more like throwing the rulebook out the window for a cheap laugh and moving on to the next plot point.

Again, maybe in the novels the extra time people are talking about spent on planning or dialogue would help ease those feelings, but I don't really get that sense at the moment. I'm sure we're going to get some overly dramatic mini-arc coming up where he suffers a "major" loss or setback in some half-baked attempt to bring him back down to earth, but it feels really cheap right now.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:56 pm Reply with quote
While what the late king wanted to do what reprehensible, Wein killing him then and there was still a surprise. There has to be more to his backstory and relationship to Ninym and her people that makes him fly off the handle like that.

Maybe it's just because I'm also watching Realist, but I was expecting a marriage proposal out of Zeno by the end of the episode... Maybe next episode? lol
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:28 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
Perhaps it'd be different if I had read the novels this is based on, and maybe I'm alone on this, but I'm losing favor with this series. I don't necessarily dislike the trope of "genius leader outwits enemies even though they just want to retire from all of it" but Wein's effort relative to the complexity of the plots, the odds he overcomes, the assistance he actually gets in executing his schemes, are just too extreme. The ability for him to even get out of the city after killing the king in the last episode is beyond ludicrous to the point it feels less like bending the rules and more like throwing the rulebook out the window for a cheap laugh and moving on to the next plot point.

Again, maybe in the novels the extra time people are talking about spent on planning or dialogue would help ease those feelings, but I don't really get that sense at the moment. I'm sure we're going to get some overly dramatic mini-arc coming up where he suffers a "major" loss or setback in some half-baked attempt to bring him back down to earth, but it feels really cheap right now.

The shows definitely suffering from the massive amount of cut material. I mean it adapted an entire volume in 2 episodes. For every Sabikui Bisco or 86 which do entire season for one volume you get these shows that cram 5 volumes in 12 episodes.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:05 pm Reply with quote
People really need to stop bringing up the Flahm's (and also Ninym) in front of Wein. It never ends well for them. Although it was kind of funny how Riklum figured out what happened and just handed Wein his sword.

I love how Ninym is miffed after realizing how Wein got them into this mess but was still blushing at him, likely because on some level she appreciated it.

To the surprise of probably no one, Zeno is really Zenovia, princess of Marden. Although the real surprise is how she managed to hide those boobs.

Caldmellia will probably be a dangerous political adversary for Wein moving forward. But he has enough to worry about after annexing Marden.
Lirsen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:51 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:

this is another example of the mess they are doing by rushing the source matherial.
in the novel spoiler[wein is invited to a holiday in the city AND at the same time is the reunion of the 7 holy elites and is invited to their reunion. That holiday runs for three full days, days that are spent first with the reunion with the seven, second with wein visiting three of the six holy elites ( that the anime skiped two of them even when they are major players in the future) and the third day when he kills the king, they couldn't follow wein quickily because that, too many people in the city]
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I hate when they rush/content like this even if I'm still enjoying the anime. I could feel that something was off even if I haven't read the novels; all that considered, I'll probably give them a try too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Excellent review, with a note to your editor.

Quote:
"When you watch a man kill the king of a powerful nation in his own palace, insight a civil war,"

The word is Incite. Sounds the same, totally different meaning.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:15 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
I hate when they rush/content like this even if I'm still enjoying the anime. I could feel that something was off even if I haven't read the novels; all that considered, I'll probably give them a try too.

I'm dropping the anime because I actually like it. (No, the previous sentence is not a mistake.)

Like many other posters mentioned, I like what I've seen so far, but the story felt rushed. I don't want to watch a speed-run of the plot, so I'd rather read the source light novels.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Review wrote:

I am shocked that Wein showed up at all considering the logistical implications of such a move. Who is ruling Natra in his stead? When he's been gone previously, I assume that Falanya was nominally in charge but with them both gone, is their bedridden father suddenly back on the throne? Or is Zeno acting as temporary regent of both Marden and Natra?

Considering the discussion of the meeting at the beginning of the episode (about whether the ministers could successfully manage the post war situation in Wein's absence) and the surprise everyone has at Falanya's growth, it seems very likely that the chief ministers were temporarily in charge when Wein went to Cavarin, not Falanya, and that would be the same case here.
Review wrote:

Writing the previous point, I had a sudden, super-random thought. What if it's not Wein at all who showed up but rather Nanaki in disguise? With the right clothes, makeup, and hair dye, he could probably pass for Wein (at least to those that have never met the prince).

Nanaki's height would appear to make this very difficult, Wein seems to be almost 2 feet taller. Nanaki is shown as being only a few inches taller than Falanya, and was also shown to be at least half a head shorter than Ninym when they were standing next to each other. Wein has already been shown to be about a full head taller than Ninym.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:36 pm Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:
Review wrote:

Writing the previous point, I had a sudden, super-random thought. What if it's not Wein at all who showed up but rather Nanaki in disguise? With the right clothes, makeup, and hair dye, he could probably pass for Wein (at least to those that have never met the prince).

Nanaki's height would appear to make this very difficult, Wein seems to be almost 2 feet taller. Nanaki is shown as being only a few inches taller than Falanya, and was also shown to be at least half a head shorter than Ninym when they were standing next to each other. Wein has already been shown to be about a full head taller than Ninym.

I had the same thought, though. Some kind of trickery is possible, and I am expecting it a bit. I guess we will find out next week.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Lowa getting excited at seeing Wein so she could tease him (and probably just see him again) only to see Falanya was priceless.

It's nice seeing Falanya's development as a character and princess coming to the fore. She still has stuff to learn, but she's coming into her own.

Ninym and Lowa got positively catty in this episode. That moment when Ninym threw "my heart has a previous engagement" right at Lowa knowing her feelings for Wein was great. And then she just basically makes it clear she could really put the hurt on the Imperial Princess if she wanted too.

We finally meet Lowa's brothers. One seems like a male version of her, the other is a military guy, but Demetrio is utter trash. It'll be interesting to see how Wein plays off all three of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6