• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kenji Kamiyama's The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim Film Opens in April 2024

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:06 pm Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Is it wrong that I'm expecting more from this than the Amazon series?

Amazon series is WOKE!
So it will suck and they will GO BROKE!
But this film will be NO JOKE! Razz

Nah seriously who knows how either will turn out. Blade Runner Black Lotus was nothing to wrote home about. Dark Crystal Age of Resistance was dope though.

I'd just like to be clear that isn't my position. I am a huge Tolkien fan, and my expectations are based on 1) how closely they plan to stay true to the source material and 2) is the writing staff up to the challenge of creating an engaging story?

I saw the trailer, I read the vanity fair preview. I wasn't expecting much, but I keep seeing things that make zero sense. Hobbits in the 2nd age, Galadriel some war leader in the north (????), Dwarven women without beards, elves with short hair. Now, these may be minor things, and I'll live with them if the show is good - BUT think about this: what do we know about this show? Almost nothing. We are less than a year away and the whole thing is still a mystery except for a bunch of aesthetic promos. And on that scant record, they are already messing with the lore. So I am actually dreading the whole thing. Cause you lead with the best. And if this is it, I think we might be looking at a colossal dissapointment.

I want to be wrong, but the warning signs are all over this. Was no different to the wheel of time or an adaptation of something like Cowboy Bebop. Modern day storytelling simply doesn't impress me very often, and adaptations get screwed over by someone's attempt to tell their own story. I'm just not on board for that.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:34 pm Reply with quote
^

That's fair. Personally I'll hold out to hear what the audience review for Amazon Prime's Lord of the Rings series is like before watching. The anime film I'll watch eventually, just because even when anime is lackluster or even bad, I still get some level of enjoyment in watching drawings do stuff.

With properties like this, sometimes there being too many cooks in the kitchen is a problem when it comes to making them into anime. I like them more when Americans get out of Japan's way and let them do what they want. Like Batman Ninja, the Witchblade anime or Star Wars Visions. Things where they hold Japan's hand like the Blade Runner Black Lotus, the four Marvel anime shows or Batman Gorham Knight are not as good to me. Still entertaining on some levels though.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:45 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:

I have more faith in that series than in any Netflix live-action adaptation that so many people on this site apparently seem to love, given their defensive reactions when people complain about them.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Ever since Christopher Tolkien's passing, I do not trust the Tolkien Estate to care about the property anymore or treat it with the respect he did. It was one of the few western franchises that still had some form of integrity in the modern era and it's sad to see that era end.

Star Wars Visions was alright, but sadly I don't think the dream scenario of Japan adapting western franchises super faithfully and with amazing production values will ever truly be realized since there's too much red tape involved, unless it's a public domain franchise.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:29 am Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:
^

That's fair. Personally I'll hold out to hear what the audience review for Amazon Prime's Lord of the Rings series is like before watching. The anime film I'll watch eventually, just because even when anime is lackluster or even bad, I still get some level of enjoyment in watching drawings do stuff.

With properties like this, sometimes there being too many cooks in the kitchen is a problem when it comes to making them into anime. I like them more when Americans get out of Japan's way and let them do what they want. Like Batman Ninja, the Witchblade anime or Star Wars Visions. Things where they hold Japan's hand like the Blade Runner Black Lotus, the four Marvel anime shows or Batman Gorham Knight are not as good to me. Still entertaining on some levels though.

I'm partial to animation too.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:51 am Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:
ZiharkXVI wrote:

Amazon series is WOKE!
So it will suck and they will GO BROKE!
But this film will be NO JOKE! Razz

Nah seriously who knows how either will turn out. Blade Runner Black Lotus was nothing to wrote home about. Dark Crystal Age of Resistance was dope though.

Having minorities in a film doesn't make something woke considering age rating is like pg 13 at best. Even when it comes to anime, there are far edgier topics covered. The only people who say hollywood is going woke are anti-Shonen Jump Weekly grifters. Ironic how they praise anime as fighting woke when they barely watch the genre and a lot of their content is very hateful to minorities including asians. These leads many anime fans into far right channels like yellowflash
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:37 am Reply with quote
Please keep your politics out of it. Any further posts along those lines will be removed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SrkSano

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:39 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Certainly just having minorities in a movie doesn't make it woke. Zulu Dawn had a lot of minorities in it (and they were pretty cool), but it obviously isn't woke because their inclusion made perfect sense. In fact, if they had been lacking, *that* wouldn't have made any sense.

It's the same here: adding minorities just to add minorities *is* woke. It's basically a form of virtue signalling, plus it isn't in keeping with the author's vision.

I think sometimes it comes down to execution. If you watch James Gunn's The Suicide Squad (2) or Peacemaker, they both check off every single box Netflix Cowboy Bebop checks off. Minorities front and center, check. Women in prominent roles that don't need to be rescued, check. People of different sexual orientations, check, check, check. Yet no one calls James Gunn's work woke. Because it's entertaining as all get out.

In short if you're a good writer or director, you can do whatever want and get away with it for the most part. Netflix Cowboy Bebop... I mean they made Faye Valentine's catch phrase "BALLS" sooo... I just don't think it was made by the sharpest crayons in the box.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:32 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Ever since Christopher Tolkien's passing, I do not trust the Tolkien Estate to care about the property anymore or treat it with the respect he did. It was one of the few western franchises that still had some form of integrity in the modern era and it's sad to see that era end.

Keep in mind that Christopher Tolkien heavily criticized Peter Jackson's films before and after their release, and yet Jackson still made them. That's because J.R.R. Tolkien himself had sold the adaptation rights three decades before those films were made, so Christopher Tolkien and the Tolkien Estate had little to no input besides demanding royalties. The belief that Christopher Tolkien ensured adaptations passed muster before his passing is mistaken.

Ironically, the Tolkien Estate has more creative input now, since Tolkien Estate's contracts were updated after Peter Jackson's films, and the previously sold rights did not include television adaptations.

https://www.indiewire.com/2013/01/christopher-tolkien-trashes-peter-jacksons-lord-of-the-rings-says-films-lack-beauty-and-seriousness-of-the-books-102485/

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/lord-of-the-rings-hobbit-tolkien-zaentz-rights-sale-1235176036/
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:57 am Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:

I like them more when Americans get out of Japan's way and let them do what they want. Like Batman Ninja, the Witchblade anime or Star Wars Visions.

Dunno if ya wanna use Batman Ninja as an example there. Enjoyable it may be, it tends to be around the bottom of Batman DCAU lists. It may be fine for those not familiar with Batman DCAU movies, but then that's no different than people fine with the Tolkien movies who are not familiar with the books
chronium

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:14 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
^
The Istari (Wizards) sailed from Valinor to Middle Earth and landed in the Grey Havens, which gave Nówë (Círdan) a chance to pass Narya (Ring of Fire) on to Olórin (Gandalf).

Galadriel's original home is Valinor in Aman. Hobbit movies are not canon.

A billion dollars should compensate for a story being hard to tell.

Isildur was of course on a ship when fleeing the downfall of Númenor.

Tolkien's books (which I read prior to Rankin-Bass The Hobbit existing) are canon, Peter Jackson's movies are not (nor are Khraniteli or Hobitit). Legolas as Super Mario is not canon.

Before Valinor they came from the stars and a meteor is how they decided to show it in the show.

I know that it is why I said when she arrived in middle earth. The whole planet isn't called middle earth just the section where the books take place. Hate to break it to you but to the general public Perter Jackson's movies are canon.

The show would end up being a anthology series and those type of shows won't bring in the big numbers they need.

The Numenoreans are a naval focused military since they're on a island.

Like I said before Jackson's movies are canon to the general public they can't be ignored.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:41 am Reply with quote
chronium wrote:

Before Valinor they came from the stars and a meteor is how they decided to show it in the show.

The Ainur (equivalent to Abrahamic angels) were created by the thought of Eru Ilúvatar (equivalent to Abrahamic YHWH). They existed in the void outside of linear time before the creation of Eä. The exact way some (but not all) of them entered Eä to become the Valar and Maiar is not described.

chronium wrote:

I know that it is why I said when she arrived in middle earth. The whole planet isn't called middle earth just the section where the books take place. Hate to break it to you but to the general public Perter Jackson's movies are canon.

Middle Earth is a continent on Arda, which is the planet in Eä.

One should care not for the general public's opinion when said opinion is factually wrong.

chronium wrote:

The show would end up being a anthology series and those type of shows won't bring in the big numbers they need.

Will the show bring in big numbers if almost everyone in the existing fan base flames it in social media?

chronium wrote:

The Numenoreans are a naval focused military since they're on a island.

The only formal "navy" mentioned is the fleet in Ar-Pharazôn's Great Armament, and Isildur being one of The Faithful would not have joined a force of the King's Men.

chronium wrote:

Like I said before Jackson's movies are canon to the general public they can't be ignored.

As for PJ's films, a new show may choose to imitate the good things such as the visual images of Middle Earth while ignoring the bad things (when Jackson invents unnecessary main characters and events). Even many people who enjoyed Jackson's portrayal of Legolas in the LOTR films found the "superhero" excesses of Legolas in The Hobbit movies to be ridiculous.
convolve34

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:01 am Reply with quote
andyos wrote:
The film is being animated by Sola Entertainment, which is indeed the parent company of Sola Digital Arts, which animated the CG series of Ultraman, SAC_2045 and Black Lotus. But LOTR may be being made by a different division of Sola Entertainment, or by a studio outsourced from it. Notably, LOTR’s production studio is listed on Sola’s own website as “Sola Entertainment/TBC.”

Supplement.
In the interview last year, Kamiyama said they are going to establish another studio for this film.
https://akiba-souken.com/article/52741/

He also said Alcon (Blade Runner) and Lucasfilm (Star Wars: Visions) actively gave Japanese creaters creative freedom, but in LotR, they had a lot of discussions with Hollywood crews.
He felt the production scale was quite different from past projects, it was like building a stadium or a bridge.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:29 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
SrkSano wrote:

I like them more when Americans get out of Japan's way and let them do what they want. Like Batman Ninja, the Witchblade anime or Star Wars Visions.

Dunno if ya wanna use Batman Ninja as an example there. Enjoyable it may be, it tends to be around the bottom of Batman DCAU lists. It may be fine for those not familiar with Batman DCAU movies, but then that's no different than people fine with the Tolkien movies who are not familiar with the books

True enough although personally I enjoyed it. I know two Batman fans, one who hated it and one who loved ir. The one who loved it watches a ton of anime like I do, the one who hated it doesn't. I mean it's hard to like why people like or dislike things, but to this day there are plenty of Marvel and DC fans that if you say anime to them they will cringe in a corner.

Examples aside, I still think productions like this where Japan is writing, directing, doing pretty much everything are better than say the Marvel anime shows Blade, Wolverine, Iron Man and X-Men. Those are made by Warren Ellis handing Japan a script. I just think that they all would be better if Japan did everything from the ground up.

I mean Warren Ellis also writing the Castlevania series kind of proves this, even though it was made by Powerhouse. You have a team all working together in tandem from day one. You get a product than someone passing a torch to another country.
chronium

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:18 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

One should care not for the general public's opinion when said opinion is factually wrong.

If you want to make something successful off a well established franchise you do have to take into account what the general public think.

Piglet the Grate wrote:
Will the show bring in big numbers if almost everyone in the existing fan base flames it in social media?

It's mostly just the racist people that are bashing the show and that bashing normally has no effect because the word of mouth on whether something is good or not is what generates the big numbers.

Piglet the Grate wrote:
The only formal "navy" mentioned is the fleet in Ar-Pharazôn's Great Armament, and Isildur being one of The Faithful would not have joined a force of the King's Men.

It's using common sense. They're a island nation and a strong military power so they're going to have more then one fleet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3