• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hai Fidelity - L'arc~en~Ciel: Kiss

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Is this column going to be for J-pop/J-rock and/or anime related bands only? I'd like to see an article about Sigh someday, if you don't mind. Very Happy
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Monsieur Pink wrote:
Is this column going to be for J-pop/J-rock and/or anime related bands only? I'd like to see an article about Sigh someday, if you don't mind. Very Happy

Since we're an anime site, this column will generally stick to anime related music when possible, but Rachael will still cover unrelated music when she wants to, or when there's no more anime related music.

Zac and Rachael can tell you more about the plans for the column.

There's another project in the works that is actually separate from ANN for the rest of the JPOP universe, but I've said too much already.
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Zoe wrote:
My only critique is cut out the "loosely translated" bit. That really isn't necessary, and it's redundant seeing it multiple times.

I guarantee you that without that this entire thread would be people whining and nitpicking the translations to death.

I find that a little hard to believe, but if that's the case, then I think it would be better to take it out of the meat of the article and leave it for a tracklisting before or after the article. The way it is now (particularly the redundancy) interrupts the flow.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
As tempest said, I'll mostly be covering anime-related music. But, please, feel free to suggest bands. I will cover artists that have no connection to anime once in awhile. I can't say for sure how often that will be though.

More music = Happy Rachael so keep the suggestions flowing Anime smile

Last edited by Cassandra on Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
billyarnie wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
"Daybreak's Bell" grew on me as Gundam 00's theme song, though. It was certainly better than "Ready Steady Go" for Fullmetal Alchemist.

That's your opinion... When I started watching "Fullmetal Alchemist" on [adult swim] in February 2005, part of my enjoyment was this crazy opening song that I learned later was "Ready Steady Go". High energy that ramps up & slows down just right.

Well, to each their own, but I felt "Ready Steady Go" was the weakest of the four theme songs for FMA - the droning chorus was especially irritating. The songs they did for the FMA movie were a little better, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
"Black Rose" is my favorite song on the album too. The horns are amazing. Overall I find this album (and band) mediocre.

KISS is available on itunes for $9.99 so pick it up if you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I think Ìm going to like this new column. It may help me decide which albums are worth the shipping fees Anime hyper!
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, to each their own, but I felt "Ready Steady Go" was the weakest of the four theme songs for FMA - the droning chorus was especially irritating. The songs they did for the FMA movie were a little better, at least.

Agreed. Rewrite was easily the most memorable of the FMA themes, at least in my opinion; Ready Steady Go, while fun, does get kind of annoying after a while.

I didn't particularly care for Link (from CoS), but Lost Heaven is wonderful.

Anyway, a great start to a column that's sure to be of great help to me! I'm always on the look out for new music.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
subaru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
phoenixphire24 wrote:
I'm very excited for this new column. I enjoy J-pop/J-rock a lot, but I pretty much only find out about a group after they've done a song for an anime series. I hope this column will give me some new groups to listen to!

First of all, luuuuv this new column. And as mentioned by phoenixphire24, please don't just limit your column to anime related songs only. As there are many many Japanese artists who has never done an anime related songs but are still great......... e.g. Ken Hirai, Love Psychedelico, Misia, etc.

Keep up the good work~
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I love L'Arc~en~Ciel, and that's a fact.

I think the singles weren't as "strong" as past singles, but in my opinion "Kiss" is stronger than "Smile" and "Awake". My absolute favorite song is Alone en la Vida, and Sunadokei comes pretty close. Sundokei sounds like something tetsu would compose, it sounds very reminiscent of his solo work.

I find it interesting in this album there is at least one song that is both written and composed by each band member, usually hyde does almost all the lyrics.

I wasn't sure what to expect last fall when they announced Hurry X-Mas, but it's such a cute song. I never hyde to write a full blown christmas song... (since winter fall and snow drop and I wish were just "wintery")

I also like the first press pakaging, I always like creative cd boxes. It has this pull out pamphlet, that's flimsy, but something new
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad this feature is here. I loved Sound decision before it but that's been gone for some time now. I'm also surprised as to the person writing this new feature. Since I had previously randomly contacted Cassandra about the translation to the three songs from this album.

It's a great piece overall and I can't wait to pick up the album but I should note that there is a slight difference in guitar work for "Link -KISS Mix-", and though it's insignifcant. The new mix actually ends rather than fade out. Otherwise, great stuff. CAn't wait for more!
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the unintentional double post.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
ddojo wrote:

Any chance of reviewing an Asian Kung-Fu Generation CD? I think they deserve a lot more attention than they get in America.

They aren't currently on my "To Do" list but they have a new album coming out next week so chances are they will show up sometime in the future.

Actually, I saw that new album on the shelf when I went to the store on Monday. Maybe this is a fluke?

And let me add in my two cents that I hope you stick to bands that do anime-related work. Contrary to many popular opinions, anime is NOT a terribly good representation of Japanese culture, and it bothers me when when people mix up love of anime/manga with love of Japan. As this is a topical site, please stay relevant.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Cassandra wrote:
ddojo wrote:

Any chance of reviewing an Asian Kung-Fu Generation CD? I think they deserve a lot more attention than they get in America.

They aren't currently on my "To Do" list but they have a new album coming out next week so chances are they will show up sometime in the future.

Actually, I saw that new album on the shelf when I went to the store on Monday. Maybe this is a fluke?

The listed street date I saw was March 5. From my experience, some labels don't stick to those street dates too well and end up releasing albums early. So while it hasn't technically come out yet, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find it on store shelves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Celes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
The only L'arc-en-ciel songs I've heard were from anime. My ex-college roommate had all their CDs though and was a big fan. I just couldn't get into them, however (although I guess technically I never gave their music a chance past the anime they were in). I haven't thought about L'arc-en-ciel since she and I got in a fight and she moved out, but I have a story this column made me remember: When we went to Ohayocon together I was helping her find band merch in the dealer room and we called it "Project Rainbow" as a joke.

When I found a DVD she had been looking for, I two-wayed her on my cell and said "Rainbow DVD at Anime Palace booth!" out loud and the 2 other girls that were at the booth with me stared at me. But luckily one was kind enough to inform me that the DVD I was holding was not a band called Rainbow, but rather L'Arc-en-Ciel and that they were "The biggest band in Japan" and had I never heard of Fullmetal Alchemist?
Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4