• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi's Urusei Yatsura Manga Gets New TV Anime in 2022

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
^ The old anime still exists to be watched even by people who weren't born when it aired.

Also, I'm not saying that they shouldn't re-animate the important manga chapters, which I'm sure they will do, but I don't want all 48 episodes or whatever the final episode count will be to be stuff that was already adapted well-enough the first time, I think there should also be some fresh content for existing fans already familiar with either the original anime and/or the manga.
With all due respect, nobody cares about what you want, or not.

If you really think animators will skip episodes already done in 80s series, think again.

Also, current target audience aren't interested in watching anime made before they (or maybe even their parents, for that matter) were born.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I understand that the 1980s Urusei Yatsura anime was a product of its time and might not appeal to younger audiences (even though some of that younger audience has probably seen at least a little of it in reruns) but the manga itself was also a product of its time (one of the chapters was called "Disco Inferno" even in the original Japanese version) so I'm at least a little skeptical that they will make the new adaptation appealing to Generation Z and beyond, updating the attitudes, cultural references, and technology to fit this decade while still remaining faithful to the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I understand that the 1980s Urusei Yatsura anime was a product of its time and might not appeal to younger audiences (even though some of that younger audience has probably seen at least a little of it in reruns) but the manga itself was also a product of its time (one of the chapters was called "Disco Inferno" even in the original Japanese version) so I'm at least a little skeptical that they will make the new adaptation appealing to Generation Z and beyond, updating the attitudes, cultural references, and technology to fit this decade while still remaining faithful to the manga.

If I had to guess it will be handled like how Gegege no Kitaro's various adaptions always are: it will be updated to reflect the current time period with technology and pop culture, but the rest of the franchise remains the same. Ataru will look and act like a modern teenager than one from the 70s or 80s, but he's still going to be the perverted lech everyone knows and loves. The only "modern attitudes" the show will face is we most likely won't see nipples anymore like we did back in 80s anime. A sad fact to be sure, but Lum's not going to be in a burqa nor is Ataru going to be a male feminist preaching about respecting women. All we'll see is the characters will have smart phones and use the internet now.
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:25 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

If I had to guess it will be handled like how Gegege no Kitaro's various adaptions always are: it will be updated to reflect the current time period with technology and pop culture, but the rest of the franchise remains the same. Ataru will look and act like a modern teenager than one from the 70s or 80s, but he's still going to be the perverted lech everyone knows and loves. The only "modern attitudes" the show will face is we most likely won't see nipples anymore like we did back in 80s anime. A sad fact to be sure, but Lum's not going to be in a burqa nor is Ataru going to be a male feminist preaching about respecting women. All we'll see is the characters will have smart phones and use the internet now.
You're probably right, but I'd love it if they just went all in and made it an 80s period piece. Really lean into the Era lol
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Something else occurred to me: how is the new Urusei Yatsura adaptation going to handle Ryuunosuke without being accused of spoiler["trans panic"]?

It shouldn't really be an issue because Ryuunosuke is spoiler[a biological female who wants to be more girl-like despite being raised as a boy by a single father who wanted to have a son and therefore Ryuunosuke acts masculine in contradiction to her own desires to be more feminine], but Ryuunosuke is a character who is going to have to be handled very delicately, probably more delicately than the original manga handled her, to avoid stepping on any modern sociopolitical landmines.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saiphaz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if I want this. To me, Urusei Yatsura is way too entrenched in Japan's 80's culture for it to work here.The animation, the music, the characters interacting, everything had a kind of energy that modern anime simply doesn't have.

I think I'm passing.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
I feel like a lot of you don't watch modern anime?

I (mid-1970s born Generation X) watch modern anime but I mostly stick to slice-of-life comedies, usually either with supernatural elements (The Great Jahy will Not Be Defeated) or iyashikei elements (Non Non Biyori), sometimes with both (Flying Witch).

Saiphaz wrote:
Not sure if I want this. To me, Urusei Yatsura is way too entrenched in Japan's 80's culture for it to work here.The animation, the music, the characters interacting, everything had a kind of energy that modern anime simply doesn't have.

I'll be sure to give the Urusei Yatsura remake a chance but there's also the technology problem, specifically the "would the story be any different if everyone had smartphones?" issue. Since much of Urusei Yatsura is rooted in Japanese folklore, I don't think updating the story 40 years so that characters in different places have the potential to constantly be in communication beyond landline telephones is as much of an issue as it would be for, say, Seinfeld, but I'm sure there must be some things that would have to be rewritten to account for current technology unless they make the remake a total period piece.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Some folks here sure are making a big stink about an imaginary backlash they've made up entirely in their heads. If you're so caught up in culture war rhetoric that you're pre-emptively defending a show that doesn't exist yet from hypothetical people with theoretically potential objections, maybe you need to re-evaluate...well a lot of stuff, but in this instance maybe focus on why that is your first instinct when talking about a new adaptation of a property you say you like.

As for the actual show, it seems pretty interesting! I've never sat down and really tried out UY myself - I keep telling myself to try picking up a copy of the manga to sample - so I'm interested to see this new show and how they'll approach it. UY and Takahashi's entire ouvre are so integral to past and present romcoms that I'm curious to see how those fundamentals will play in a modern context. I really dig the art style they look to be going with, so that's a great start.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Great to see Urusei Yatsura getting a 2nd anime reboot almost 4 decades later after the original anime ended back in 1986 before the manga ended a year later.

Looking forward on the rest of the cast and who would license the anime.

Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Ohhhh wowww.

Do you think this could go to Netflix?

Who knows? Even with the deep pockets Netflix has, it just comes down if they are interested in licensing the 2nd adaptation of Urusei Yatsura, or if Crunchyroll or FUNimation get it ahead of time before Netflix outbids them, considering that Netflix is right now satisfied with their upcoming anime originals they announced back at their November 9th Anime Day event (e.g. Vampire in the Garden, Orbital Children, Kotaro Lives Alone, etc.) along with the licensed anime titles they have (e.g. Shaman King 2021, Edens Zero, Blue Period, Komi Can't Communicate, JoJo: Stone Ocean, Tiger & Bunny 2) and it might result in Netflix not getting the license for Urusei which also happened when Netflix didn't acquire/licensed SpyxFamily at their November 9th Anime Day event as Crunchyroll got it 2 weeks ahead of time prior to their official announcement at Anime NYC.

So even if Netflix has beaten out Funimation and Crunchyroll for their streaming licenses for Shaman King 2021, Edens Zero, Blue Period Komi Can't Communicate and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean, we'll have to wait and see if they are interested in licensing Urusei.
Kabuby 77

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:41 am Reply with quote
When I hear the word reboot I always have concerns. Just see what they do in Hollywood. It makes no sense to take back material already used in the classic series. This is a quality product, while today CG techniques allow houses to save money by running and leaving aside the details. To give an example, just look at the difference between the first and second series of One Punch, the change of production studio was devastating. When you remake a classic opera you always have to do better, otherwise the historical fans will not forgive you.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
there's also the technology problem, specifically the "would the story be any different if everyone had smartphones?" issue.

Having Lum accidentally fry someone’s phone would be a decent excuse if there are any bits where the story really needs them not to have one.

(Besides, I think don’t think the characters have many problems with not talking to each other. When it comes to listening to each other, though….)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand the handwringing around Urusei Yatsura's problematic content when even among US anime fandom one of the most popular anime of 2021 was Mushoku Tensei. And like Irregular at Magic High School was literally just announced for another season. If Yashahime didn't get Takahashi canceled, she's going to be fine. And if people are critical of the dated aspects of the series, I don't see what the big deal is? People can like something and be critical of it at the same time. That's kind of the purpose of media criticism. Like people complained about Miss Kobayashi season two for a week and then forgot about it.
And anime fans have debated the dated aspects of Takahashi's series for decades. People don't even bat an eye about the far worse content in a lot of modern anime by male creators that gets made every season.
Yusaku_005

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:36 pm Reply with quote
RE: The whole smartphone thing... My current bets are on them keeping to late 70's/early 80's technology, but largely making the whole time period rather vague. The characters' fashion sense can be made modern without it being too jarring, and we might see a flat-screen TV in Moroboshi's home or something like that; But I doubt they'll be texting each other or using the computer. Especially if it's simply adaptations of the manga.

Going off of David Productions' JJBA adaptations, they've been very true to the time periods the parts take place in - Granted, time periods are more important to the narrative in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but it still might show some precedent. Hell, they even made the 1999 Pepsi logo period-accurate.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The anime will adapt selected stories from the manga and run for four cours or a full year, although not necessarily consecutively.

Missed this part, but that sounds good to me. Based on the preview I'm curious to see how the look of the show comes out. It seems like they're going to go closer to the color cover art than the original anime could afford to. It'd be nice if this was an every other season release schedule to keep it to a high visual quality, but ideally it would be just split in half so there isn't too long of a wait. Hopefully there isn't any more of a gap than a single season though between each part.
Shinuki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I'm just happy to see a show getting picked up for a 1 year run. It seems increasingly rare these days for anime to get more than 1 cour, let alone 1 year. Yeah, UY is a popular established franchise so of course it's more likely to get a big batch of episodes than an original work. But still, I hope this is the start of a trend.

No, 50ish episodes (1 year run) still pretty normal to happen, is just that most cases are series more kid oriented.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7