• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi's Urusei Yatsura Manga Gets New TV Anime in 2022

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:52 am Reply with quote
I got blueballed by the opening in the teaser.

SpideyDude wrote:

I believe they're too old at this point to properly voice teenagers. You can hear their voices are aging in the 2008 OVA. It's the same reason why Akira Kamiya won'tcplay Kenshiro anymore.

Furukawa still sounds fine. Mayumi Tanaka and Shigeru Chiba could still play their characters too amongst others but I'm not against a full recast after this long. Maybe some of them will show up in other roles.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:04 am Reply with quote
David Production and a 4-cour treatment sounds pretty great to me. The teaser looks fun and I think Uesaka's nailing the "Darling."
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:28 am Reply with quote
earl.m wrote:
How are they going to react to Urusei Yatsura? Start with the fact that the main character is literally (almost) always in a two-piece bikini

Speaking of supernatural comedies full of fanservice created by women but broadly aimed at a teenaged shounen demographic, I honestly didn't notice much of any negative western reactions to (adult form) Jahy's main outfit, essentially just leather straps and booty shorts which makes Lum's standard bikini look modest in comparison, so Lum is probably safe from "cancellation".

Admittedly, The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated does not have a *sukebe* archetype male character like Ataru Moroboshi (or much of any other kinds of male characters either for that matter beyond the teacher taking selfies in the magical girl outfit or the policeman that takes him and Jahy into custody sometimes). I suspect 2022 Ataru will be much the same as the 1981 version but David Productions may curtail a few of Ataru's more outrageous hobbies such as skirt-flipping with a yo-yo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yusaku_005

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:36 am Reply with quote
As a long-time URUSEI YATSURA fan, I'm pretty optimistic about this - Maybe it's seeing new official artwork in about a decade, or the nostalgia of having these characters coming back, but I'm very excited for this. The new actors sound great in that PV to boot; Capturing the spirit of Fumi Hirano and Toshio Furukawa well!

The first glimpses at the new art style are also quite promising. It's faithful to the original in all the right ways, but makes use of modern digital coloring in a way the original couldn't (i.e. giving Lum her multi-colored hair she's had in various Takahashi illustrations)

Also: I really doubt Lum/UY will be "cancelled", since I imagine most anime fans are familiar with her as a mascot. Whether you watched Beautiful Dreamer on LaserDisc with an anime club back in the day, or are a newer fan familiar with Lum through Youtube videos, the property is well known today. Ataru's lechery is portrayed in a comedic, non-glorifying way, and Lum's outfit is fairly tame compared to some anime designs today.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:33 am Reply with quote
Ohhhh wowww.

Do you think this could go to Netflix?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:38 am Reply with quote
I've always been curious about Urusei Yatsura but the series has been OOP in the US besides the movies, so I'm very excite about this news and I hope this will also lead to Discotek rescue licensing the original anime. And being done by David Productions and some of the staff from Jojo's makes me even more excited.
SpideyDude

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:32 am Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
I got blueballed by the opening in the teaser.

SpideyDude wrote:

I believe they're too old at this point to properly voice teenagers. You can hear their voices are aging in the 2008 OVA. It's the same reason why Akira Kamiya won'tcplay Kenshiro anymore.

Furukawa still sounds fine. Mayumi Tanaka and Shigeru Chiba could still play their characters too amongst others but I'm not against a full recast after this long. Maybe some of them will show up in other roles.

I don't know about Tanaka and Chiba but I find that Furukawa can only do Ataru's high pitch voice in small doses like he does in conventions so it's probably best if he sit this one out.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:37 am Reply with quote
Well regardless Hirano asks Uesaka to take care of Ataru's parents on earth here. So maybe the old VA's are taking over the roles of the parents.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:06 am Reply with quote
Btw, just one thing about Hiroshi Kamiya that most people often forget, or just ignore...

He may be younger than Toshio Furukawa, but he is still 46 year old man, which isn't exactly young anymore.

Of course, he can still do young roles, and sound naturally, but he was around since 1994, or so, and only in 2000s became famous.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:11 am Reply with quote
Never really got into UY, but I'm happy for its fans.
Artemis X

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:51 am Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
Artemis X wrote:
There is no denying this is all Discotec's recent popularization of this franchise. The domino effect.

I don't think so.
This new anime must have been in development for like 1 or 2 years now.

That is what I am saying, Discotec is the one that started releasing and lisencing the films several years ago and coincidentally enough since there panel last year where they announced more films and some of the new releases we just got this year. BOOM this announcement comes. It is no coincidence.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:59 am Reply with quote
That's surprising.
As someone who watched the original series in the 1980s and most of the movies....I'm not sure what to think of it.
I admit I didn't like the original series (and the manga too) that much, as I felt the characters remained "static" throughout the story. With that said, there were some episodes and stories that were genuinely funny.

A series like that in 2022? Not sure how it could be developed.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:01 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Ohhhh wowww.

Do you think this could go to Netflix?

Who can say? If it was a JoJo series, I'd say there was a good chance. Part of me wishes it didn't if they're going to release the show in chunks and keep people waiting.

Hell, if it does get streamed, which I'm sure it will, I'm curious how they handle the show's more Japanese aspects. I doubt Netflix or Crunchyroll will have AnimEigo-style linear notes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:54 am Reply with quote
Artemis X wrote:
I wonder if we will ever get a proper lisenced DUB version of the original anime now.

Depends on how well an English dub of the new anime does.

L'Imperatore wrote:
Wasn't the original broadcast at around 7 pm, i.e. prime time?

You're correct.

Artemis X also wrote:
That is what I am saying, Discotec is the one that started releasing and lisencing the films several years ago and coincidentally enough since there panel last year where they announced more films and some of the new releases we just got this year. BOOM this announcement comes. It is no coincidence.

Discotek's releases are mostly targeted towards the North American market, so I don't think their releases of the UY movies had much to do with the Japanese staff's decision to produce the new anime. The new anime seems to be targeted towards the Japanese market and produced in response to the franchise's ongoing popularity there. However, it's possible that it'll get licensed here in North America in response to the popularity of Discotek's releases.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:23 am Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Well regardless Hirano asks Uesaka to take care of Ataru's parents on earth here. So maybe the old VA's are taking over the roles of the parents.

That would be cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7