• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mieruko-chan (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote

Same trend as last week. The camera shots on the girls are frontloaded for the first 5-10 minutes of the episode, then the horror takes centre stage. There's a slight return towards the end, but I actually liked it as a mental refresher. If there's one thing this show is REALLY good at, it's the design of the spectral entities and what they're meant to inspire in viewers.

It's more or less established that Yuria is prone to jumping to the wrong conclusions at light speed because of established misconceptions. This is bad for Miko, since Yuria's desire to one-up Miko on the Sight front is going to lead to more situations like this week. Yuria's not a complete loss though, since she's clearly lonely and hanging out with the two gives her friends for the first time. Setting that picture as a phone wallpaper in place of the idol she worships being a good way to get that point across.

The degree of affinity with the Sight is another reason why Yuria is more trouble than she's worth for Miko. Miko sees absolutely everything so no matter how much Yuria tries to get her to admit it she absolutely has to keep her poker face on for sanity's sake. This week's boss monster really turns up the horror, but viewers have conclusive proof that last week's unintended bargain gives Miko three picks before the contract is fulfilled.

As an aside, it's no coincidence that tunnels are full of them. The variety show host gives a few reasons why before he reads out next week's episode title. If Youtube channels are any indication, the other places Miko really should avoid if she doesn't want to run into them are dams and lakes since large bodies of water are a supposed hotspot. She's had the misfortune of encountering one in the bathroom, which is more likely than other areas in her house.

About this week's centrepiece: This is not the first time viewers see a type of entity which is a predator to others. The first one was way back at the donut shop mini-arc while last week's exorcised entity was happy to use Hana as a portable grill. What happens if the predators eat enough of their peers and then discover a human can see them? We didn't find out this week since the temple guardians intervened, but the experience has parallels in real life. Not sure Miko would want to be on the receiving end though.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:18 am Reply with quote

There was chat on this thread earlier about how Miko finds the spectres tiresome because they don't really do anything directly to her besides looking grotesque. This episode shows just how wrong those viewers are: Miko is afraid of them because she doesn't know what they're capable of. The spectre on the train is the first example in this series which actively interacted with regular humans regardless of their capability to See, so for Miko to get through it all at the expense of making an extra trip for shopping is testament again to her mental fortitude.

Predator entities are one thing, but the axe-wielder on the train was apparently hunting malevolent spirits which had possessed unwary humans. Whether or not it will consume its prey the same way the tunnel ghost and Hana's ghost did is not divulged, but what little we see about the different types of spectres though Miko's eyes is interesting.

The clothes shop spectre looked like a former store manager who hanged herself but stayed behind. Although it interfered with Miko and Kousuke's plans to buy family presents, the gift they bought instead was still a good choice. This episode reminds viewers that horror and fanservice aren't the only things the series is about.

Another thing this episode did differently was getting into Miko's mindset regarding her Sight. It's been so long since she started to See, that she's now beginning to wonder why she suddenly acquired the ability and what use it might be for. To date she's only helped the old lady to regain her prized possession, but apart from that she's kept largely to her poker face routine to avoid unnecessary trouble because she remains defenceless. She'll continue with brushing off her supernatural encounters, but will her mental state snap from the continued strain? She's obviously getting better at keeping up appearances, but it's still tough and unlike the Godmother she has no knowledge about what she Sees and how to deal with them.

The last part of the episode reintroduces a character from earlier on, but this is bad news for Miko since it's one thing brushing off a stranger, it's another when said stranger becomes the substitute homeroom teacher and remembers the previous encounter. She can't run away from this one, so how she resolves it will likely take up the remaining airtime.

Another cameo from the scar-faced widow. Appearances being what they are, most people react the same way Hana did when they interact with him. I'm not sure if he can See as well, since the animators made it look like he made his decision after the former pets settled on a choice.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:17 am Reply with quote
The last bit with the scarred face guy made me tear up a bit, but kind of in a good way. And you also had the earlier scene that implied the first lost baby was staying around his mother for his younger sibling.

But in between those there is the creepy guy, suddenly being made a teacher.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:26 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

There was chat on this thread earlier about how Miko finds the spectres tiresome because they don't really do anything directly to her besides looking grotesque. This episode shows just how wrong those viewers are: Miko is afraid of them because she doesn't know what they're capable of. The spectre on the train is the first example in this series which actively interacted with regular humans regardless of their capability to See, so for Miko to get through it all at the expense of making an extra trip for shopping is testament again to her mental fortitude.

Predator entities are one thing, but the axe-wielder on the train was apparently hunting malevolent spirits which had possessed unwary humans. Whether or not it will consume its prey the same way the tunnel ghost and Hana's ghost did is not divulged, but what little we see about the different types of spectres though Miko's eyes is interesting.

Man, where to begin? The audience was led to believe the spirit was using the axe to get a reaction because we saw it through Miko's eyes. But I would say the spirit itself treated people as no more than pots/boxes in a video game; What they are is meaningless and what matters is if they contain something. As to what the spirit hunted and why, I won't hazard a guess because... and this is the important part... Miko doesn't care.

But it's funny to me that the tipping point for Miko's indifference isn't that spirit but the one Miko saw floating around her teacher. And then she's tipped right back again by the entity at the vending machine... which she may have helped by selecting the right choice.

And then her system is completely broken by her new teacher where even Hana is taken aback. Is the error of indifference over? Let's see, the episode is titled "The Things She Sees".... and the next episode is "The Things She's Seen Before." So that's new, that the emphasis is finally on what she is seeing.

I've sensed this entire mythology behind the scenes of the series' world... the exact opposite of, look at how convenient that is, Ghostbusters. For that series, ghosts only exist for the Ghostbusters to bust but here, there's this whole world of Second Sight, Things that Can Be Done as well as some classic Ghost on Ghost action. Ghost wards seems to be a silent market of its own so there are people who know they're needed.

And so far, Miko has closed her eyes to all of it. But she knows all of it isn't bad and she knows she can do things so the time for action is hopefully soon?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:56 am Reply with quote
I think Mieruko-chan better start carrying around extra panties with her at all times now. I like this show but I kind of wish its central premise wasn't serviced quite so resolutely. I wouldn't mind the occasional half-episode to go by without poor Mieruko having to ignore some ghost. I don't think I'm alone in hoping the show changes its "zomg, Mieruko sees a ghost, let's watch her ignore it" dynamic (I know that's an oversimplication, but sometimes the show feels like that's the only thing going on, scene after scene after scene).
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:11 am Reply with quote

An inversion compared to previous weeks, the "main" arc is in the first half with the stand-alone story in the second. Not only is Sub teacher Toono haunted by multiple cat ghosts, there's a huge female(?) abomination tailing him and keeping a jealous watch over any who approach him. Already there's a change for Miko, since she's now determined to protect her friends who cannot See what she can. Back at the start of the series, her preferred course of action with this new threat would be to ignore it like she always could.

Perhaps it's just me, but she heard the female abomination (credited as 謎の化け物) but didn't see her form clearly before it disappeared. Not only that, early on in the episode it was crawling on the wall but Miko didn't sense nor See it. She could see the handprints (presumably from the entity tailing Toono walking down the corridors) but not the form itself. This is interesting, since it indicates this particular horror is powerful enough to keep its form hidden should it choose from Miko's powerful Sight.

An unexpected side effect to seeing terrifying spectral abominations on a daily basis is haunted house attractions don't provide any thrill whatsoever. In Miko's case, she actually welcomes the chance to visit these since she can act like just about everyone else when faced with jump scares. Once she figured out the otherwise obvious psychological release valve, she can "scream" with terror just like Hana and get away with it thanks to the setting. The experience is more of a cathartic release for her rather than any mental fortitude training, but if she's feeling the pressure to be too much she now has an unusual way to keep her sanity going. This is probably the first and only time I'll see someone laugh with joy at visiting a haunted house attraction.

Trailer hints viewers will find out more about Toono Zen and why he's possessed by cat spirits and a horrible abomination.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:11 am Reply with quote

Last week viewers were promised a bit more about Toono Zen, well this week we haven't really seen much about him in detail. He's given leftovers by his neighbour (which he throws away without consuming), is possessed by a horde of cat wraiths and additionally has a huge female abomination clinging on to him possessively. No idea who the female spirit is supposed to be right now, maybe we'll find out before the adaptation ends.

It's not just the spectral abominations that contribute to the horror elements in this series. The crow motif was used way back in the first episode, but the animators are really good at turning up the menace in a similar vein to Hitchcock's Birds.

Yuria's blurting out actually helps Miko connect the dots. The one thing Yuria had an edge over Miko was her knowledge about Hana's vitality, but with this Miko is more or less caught up (although she's roughly aware of how it works, she hasn't seen how specifically it affects Hana the same way Yuria does). If she cares about her best friend, then her routine up to this point isn't going to help her since the mere presence of powerful wraiths drains Hana. There's only so much food and the pocket money required to buy it that can help Hana hold out for now.

The park scene again shows off how good the animators have become at switching on the horror at a moment's notice. Again Miko has let her guard down and nearly paid for it were it not for the intervention. Now even viewers know what the "Three Times" meant, so Miko has one more ward before the contract is fulfilled. Exorcism is never free, so what price must Miko pay in return for those three interventions?

Who is the cat mutilator in the parka? Toono Zen? He had unexplained wounds on his hands and the cat wraiths multiply each time Miko sees him, so he's a prime suspect. On the other hand, the student who passed the hooded parka earlier did not react. Either she couldn't see beyond the hood, or she could and it wasn't Toono Zen. It doesn't look good for him at the moment, but the show has already shown how appearances are deceiving.

Quarter is drawing to a close, and I'm staying to see how this final arc is resolved.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:50 am Reply with quote

Don't judge a book by its cover. Appearances can be deceiving. This show has already made this point clear earlier with the lost cat arc, and it's done so again this episode in a far more impactful manner.

If you didn't read the source material, there's little hint of what was to come halfway through the episode. It should have been obvious who the little boy was at the start of the episode, but the twist in the middle would not have been expected. After all, every indicator so far has marked Toono Zen as a person Miko suspected him to be when she refused to let him adopt the lost cat earlier in the series. Although she made the right choice eventually thanks to her Sight, this is not the first time she has jumped to conclusions in this series (think two episodes before).

The loose end is cleared up as well. It's rare for the show to reveal the true identity of spectral abominations, much less the hulking horror which clings to Toono Zen. Now that viewers are given the full picture, it seems inevitable that the third and final ward would be used consciously by Miko. As much as Toono Zen is a victim of circumstances beyond his direct control, Miko took on considerable personal risk in trying to make a difference for the first time since she could See. To top it off, Toono Zen after his recovery will most likely change his lifestyle for the better, all the while remaining ignorant of just how important a role Yotsuya Miko played in the trigger. What's more, Miko has to face the consequences as the contract has been fulfilled and those exorcisms are almost certainly not going to be free.

Next week is the last episode for this adaptation, so I'm wondering how the animators will close it off. The series has completely overturned my expectations, so I'm curious to see how they'll wrap it up as it's clear the source material is still ongoing and Miko now has to contend with the fallout from this adventure.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:44 pm Reply with quote
11:

spoiler[The cat abuser isn't Satoru, is it?]

It's a bit dark to see topics of child abuse being covered. Not that I don't think such topics should be covered in the first place, but Mieruko-chan has always been the kind of lulzy, light-hearted show (albeit the grim visuals).

Time to wrap it up in the next episode.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:37 am Reply with quote
Okay, I just binge-watched this show and it's really freaking good. If you dropped it after ep 1 or 2 because of the fanservice, I encourage you to stick with it since that mostly goes away.

Also the ghosts are so scary I could cry like Miko does. xD But I really appreciate the genuine heart-warming/sorrowful moments the show offers.

Damn Mieruko-chan, you really DO want me to cry, don't you!?

The production values are also great. I prefer the art here over the manga's. The exorcising scenes with the shrine deities are freaking amazing. Passione did pretty well with this one, compared to Higurashi...
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:26 am Reply with quote
#12 End

Closure for Toono Zen, but it appears the apple does not fall too far from the tree. Besides inheriting some of his deceased mother's mannerisms, he's also able to "dispose" of unwanted things the same way his mother did. Don't get on his bad side and let him be with his pet cat, and he'll be no more than an anti-social teacher making zero effort to remember his charges' names.

This quarter will come to a close, but the story isn't anywhere near finished. Viewers are not told why Miko started to See, and the consequences of her contract are probably going to feature next (assuming there is a further adaptation). The dream sequence again scores heavily on the horror aspect, and it appears even in the waking world the Godmother might well involve herself again with the pair having received the photo.

Much closer look at the shrine's name in this episode. I still can't make out the second character, but it would not surprise me if the reading was Mikoya Jinja. The fox motif leads me to surmise it's a variant of 狐, and all three particles coincidentally sharing three out of the five syllables in Yotsuya Miko's full name makes a strong case over other alternatives.

Slight inversion from the rest of the series in returning the body shots to the back-end of the episode when all of the horror has been frontloaded. If this does get a continuation with the same studio and animation staff, I'll have to resign myself with putting up with this aspect as it's integral to how the animators see this series and its necessary inclusion.

Source material is highly rated in Japan, so chances of a sequel are quite good. Material is still ongoing, and if and when a sequel does air I'll be keen to watch it. Expectations coming into this series weren't high, especially with the early fixation on leery camery shots. But the core of the series is horror and human relationships and that's what will draw people back in. It's been an entertaining watch for its unusual motif and horrifyingly detailed spectral terrors.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Final:

I chuckled at the neighbor being exposed, that got me a little. But I rolled my eyes really hard at the "it's just a dream" cliché.

5/10. The show is just a lot of fluff with the occasional heartwarming moment. The fanservice was just unnecessary (although that's the point of fanservice tbh), but at least they toned it down gradually, but the mechanics of the episodes―"do you see me?", Miko in a pinch and eventually just endure her way through all of them―are the same week in week out, so it got monotonous pretty quick. Didn't do much for me.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:06 pm Reply with quote
This show was so good! I'd be down for a second season of this...though I've been reading the manga too. I don't like the manga nearly as much. The anime adaptation is officially better!

The shrine scene was so scary. I'm really glad it was just a dream. Speaking of which, I love the shrine deities. Such a cool animation effect with the wavy gold auras and they're so badass too. Cool

Does anyone know what they're supposed to be? The big one looks like a nine-tailed kitsune but also rather different from how it appears in folklore art. Maybe the mangaka is just being creative? The shrine itself is definitely a Shinto shrine...(I've visited a couple myself) so we can assume they're Shinto deities.

I'm going to rewatch this with my Discord group. We wanted to be scared by Higurashi Gou/Sotsu and just ended up laughing most of the time. THIS is a perfect show when you want scary. Razz
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:59 am Reply with quote
So, yeah, the teacher totally murdered a guy, chopped him into pieces and disposed of him in the trash. The clue to the last bit being a ghost that was an array of body parts hanging around some garbage that was left out to be collected. That itself is horror, where even if he likes cats, there is something sick with him. I am seeing the dream that Mieruko had of the shrine is likely something like a premonition, that she should actually trust her gut and not just convince herself that the shrine spirits were altruistic, and what they will get out will be even more than what they did for her.

I enjoyed the show, more than I would have thought I would. It stopped with the creep shots and focused more on the horror aspects, having its weird type of comedy from Mieruko being able escape whatever terrifying spirit. While also it coming across that our heroine really doesn't understand the rules of whatever it is she is dealing with, rather than just trying to not get attention. The very end of the show managed to do a particularly creepy variant by having us in the pov of the spirits asking if we can see them, with strange glitches. I was sort of thinking that you could probably do an interesting thing with something like women that have to ignore men who try and bother them for attention, but probably nothing intentional.

Anyway, my rating for the show is going to be Very good (8/10), it is pretty good, if maybe stuck a bit in the one joke of a repeated plot. In some ways it reminds me a bit of Chio's School Road, which also did the one gimmick plot.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
So, yeah, the teacher totally murdered a guy, chopped him into pieces and disposed of him in the trash. The clue to the last bit being a ghost that was an array of body parts hanging around some garbage that was left out to be collected.

Rewatch episode 4.
The Yotsuyas and Toono Zen aren't neighbours or living in the same area with a common garbage collection point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4