• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sakugan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I’m not sold on Sakugan yet. I’m still rolling my eyes at Memempu being a super genius who has already graduated college at 9, and her dynamic with Gagumber leans towards more annoying than charming most of the time, IMHO. That said, ep 4 was mostly fun. The Italy pastiche was cool. Jolly Jolly was probably built in Italy’s image—it has “canals” based on Venice, and they combined the Roman Colosseum with the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Gagumber was rightfully rejected 12 times, once by a lesbian couple, which wasn’t as cringey to watch as it could have been.

I wish they had kept their stereotype tropes to “the mafia is in Italy, obvs” but they just *had* to go there with a femme man who threatens other men with rape as torture. Gross. That was definitely the worst part of the episode.

Zackletu has actually been tailing our father-daughter team for a while—she’s in a previous episode reacting to Gagumber and Memempu’s name on the radio, and she was watching them in the cafe before Gagumber went to the bar. She is using the “debt” as an excuse to keep following them, and I hope we find out why.

I don’t think the guy who locked up Gagumber & Memempu is a villain, just a bureaucrat. Mostly because he didn’t keep them locked up and let them explore the city. But I could be wrong.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:55 am Reply with quote

All I can say about this episode is that we've learned over the past year that their solution to the problem would no longer work in the real world. The true believers will remain unconvinced, denying the evidence of their own lying eyes, or finding a way to justify his behavior as admirable.

Still looking for a character I like in this series. I'm about to call it a loss and just move on.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:17 pm Reply with quote
SOOOO if the plot doesn't start next week so help me.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:32 pm Reply with quote
^ Depends on what you think the plot is. If it is finding the dream place, at the present pace that may be in S2 if it happens at all (a cliff-hanger?)...However, if the plot is how Memempu and Gagumber reconcile their differences and start a two-way friendship/partnership beyond their roles, I think that has been what the plot has been developing to date and will likely continue.

Ep8- I would think someone here should find the character interaction this Ep to your liking. Zackletu is beginning to grow on me and I really didn't see the twist coming, so good for the writers...P.S. Could Ururop be a human-kaiju hybrid??
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:01 am Reply with quote
So far it looks like 12 eps.

When they first got attacked I was wondering why the didn't submerge as I thought they were on a sub and that seems like the best thing to do then, but they didn't so I thought I was mistaken. Then the kaiju attacks and they submerge...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Gagumber is a trailer park dad through and through.

Was that really necessary? :/ I guess it's more noble to be homeless than live in a trailer, huh.

I just hope the Rainbow Children don't turn out to be this series' Blade Children. Or worse, anime Indigo Children. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I also like that the show doesn't imply Sina is miserable living her role as the Diva even if it's not her dream.

But her drawings showed that it actually was one of her many dreams, just not the only thing she wanted to experience.

JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Feel like there's been a bit of a trend developing within the anime industry. With the sheer volume of anime that's being produced, we're getting more and more shows such as this and Re-Main. Original shows that, rather than trying to tell a complete story with no loose ends in a single cour, are banking on the idea that the industry demands so much content that another season will be greenlit.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was a sweet ending to the beginning of the story. There's plenty of room for more adventures, but the two main characters get closure, while the side characters were, well, side characters.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:29 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Feel like there's been a bit of a trend developing...Original shows that, rather than trying to tell a complete story with no loose ends in a single cour, are banking on the idea that the industry demands so much content that another season will be greenlit.
Interesting possibility, definitely in play here. Doing such in the past would have been a huge gamble and there are infamous examples of shows that tried, only to never be heard from again. I feel as Mr. Dupree does that the team on Sakugan did so well in setting the character relationship stage that one cour was enough to be enjoyable. Thus, I expect and am fully excited to watch S2 which should tell a very compelling story with Memempu and Gagumber as nucleus. Taking 12 Eps to get a good start going makes more sense for large scale stories and avoids the problem with cramming too much into one cour.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Watched the last two eps last night. These two picked the series up for me a bit, but in hindsight I think I still could have passed on it. Not sure I'd bother with a second season if one comes to fruition.

The "you're still my daughter" bit was well done, if fairly typical for what you'd expect with that setup.

Re: Ep 11, I guess no one thought to tell Memempu that some kids do dream or are happy about following in their parents footsteps?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2