• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spy×Family Domestic Spy Comedy Manga Gets TV Anime in 2022

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Honestly surprised this didn't happen sooner.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Really good news! Can’t wait to watch this. Now all we need is Kaiju No. 8 and the universe will be one step closer to world peace…
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
HYPE! Spy x Family is one of my favorite Shonen Jump app titles that’s currently running. That teaser looks fantastic! I can’t wait to see the OP—it better be the best Bond theme parody ever!
Peebs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:47 pm Reply with quote
OmegaE50 wrote:
This world is about to witness the greatness of an animated Anya
Bow to your new gremlin child overlord

*bows down* She makes the best reaction faces. I'll be filling up a folder with screencaps.

This morning I was reading the latest chapter and wondered to myself when they were going to make the official announcement. Here it is and I am beside myself with excitement. I did not expect Egutan to voice Loid, but here we are. He sounded good. Looking forward to Anya's and Yor's actors.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Who do you think could license this?

Who knows, but like everyone else had mentioned I do expect Funimation to have the better chance to license and simulcast this series, however I wouldn't rule out Netflix and possibly Disney+ getting this.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Really hope this gets a decent (re: big) budget... god knows it deserves one.
redranger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:32 pm Reply with quote
The manga is fantastic. The studios better not cock this up.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:35 pm Reply with quote
36 comments after half a day... I guess this one is popular. spoiler[Telepathy] seems like a weird element to add to a spy story, but I guess it has to differentiate itself from the several other recent comedies about action heroes as fish-out-of-water in domestic settings (both anime/manga and live action).
RikaDu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:45 am Reply with quote
kyyaaa!!! i have been waiting for this! I am excited!!!
Dfens

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I knew this manga would get a adaption eventually it was a given, and been reading it and loving every chapter up to date.

The only thing that worries me is that it's still on going and the fact it won't be ending anytime soon. So they are going to have to end it suddenly without resolving the main conflict and have the same problem most modern shows have. Go read the on going manga to see what happens.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:18 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
I can't speak about if it was the best of all time, but its fellow Shonen Jump+ series Kaiju No. 8 actually outdid it the following year with its first volume

It took some poking around (deeply annoyed at the lack of a central source for archived Oricon charts), but it looks like you're right. Here's what I was able to find for Spy x Family's first volumes:

Code:
Volume | Week 1  | Week 2  | Week 3
-------+---------+---------+--------
1      | 39,461  | ?       | ?
2      | 109,702 | 193,425 | 240,226
3      | 156,267 | 312,542 | 371,446

And for Kaiju No. 8:

Code:
Volume | Week 1  | Week 2  | Week 3
-------+---------+---------+--------
1      | 90,831  | 160,235 | ?
2      | 301,425 | 407,870 | 468,176
3      | 318,973 | 526,237 | 593,821

So yeah, Kaiju No. 8's definitely grown faster. If you look at the June 2021 charts, Spy x Family is still more popular now, but that's comparing its 7th volume to KN8's 3rd.

The end-of-year sales chart should be interesting, assuming Jujutsu Kaisen and Tokyo Revengers volumes don't crowd everything else off the list.

EDIT: On a whim, since you compared with Dr. Stone, I decided to look up recent numbers. Volume 22 sold 213,902 copies in its first three weeks, and that was after two seasons of the anime had come out. That's not small potatoes either; it makes Dr. Stone like the 4th-most-popular manga in WSJ:

Code:
 1. | One Piece #100 ....... | 1,736,402
 2. | Jujutsu Kaisen #17 ... | 1,457,805
 3. | My Hero Academia #32 . | 585,388
 4. | Dr. Stone #22 ........ | 213,902
 5. | Black Clover #30 ..... | 150,613
 6. | Mashle #8 ............ | 127,229
 7. | Blue Box #2 .......... | 96,434
 8. | The Elusive Samurai #2 | 81,470
 9. | Ayakashi Triangle #6 . | 57,454
10. | Sakamoto Days #3 ..... | 41,376

(Some of these numbers are straight from Oricon, others are augmented with estimates from Shoseki after dropping off the Oricon charts, reported by the Twitter fan-news account @WSJ_manga. No idea how they calculate those estimates.)

Speaking as someone who reads and enjoys Kaiju No. 8, it is frankly insane that it's doing MHA numbers this early.

Last edited by Shay Guy on Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
The only thing that worries me is that it's still on going and the fact it won't be ending anytime soon. So they are going to have to end it suddenly without resolving the main conflict and have the same problem most modern shows have. Go read the on going manga to see what happens.

The "read the manga" ending is by no means a recent thing, and has existed more or less since late-night anime became a proper thing, i.e. the late 90s. And that's really by design, because that's what these adaptations tend to often be, a literal late-night anime infomercial for the later home video release, and if it's an adaptation then it's also pretty much an infomercial for the manga/light novel/video game/etc. itself. The productions are essentially saying "If you want more then experience it in its original form, which this anime was literally made to sell you on".

If they go for an original ending then it gives the feeling that they don't intend to make more, so productions often decide to leave it without any proper resolution, even if that means that (should it not get more anime) it'll end without resolving much of anything. I don't really fault anime for doing that, because it's pretty much a "screwed if you do, screwed if you don't" situation.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:21 am Reply with quote
Wonderful news! Like the chemistry with the cast and hoping for an anime.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:13 am Reply with quote
Seems like a show Netflix would grab... Wink
12Zwolf12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:42 am Reply with quote
I like the manga, it is a fun a refreshing ride in a somewhat fresh setting (kind of a mix of east-west Germany with Victorian England, in a spy setting), but my problem is that the story is really dragging on. It already shows Conan symptoms of a story that could be great, but gets dragged into the episodic setting that stops the actual plot from going anywhere and while the plot idea is fresh and the setting and characters are fun, hammering away at the same jokes with slight variation will make it grow old fast.
I really hope they focus on the main story for the anime and find some actual plot points instead of going full episodic comedy with the overarching plot going nowhere, I see both possibilities.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4