• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, Jiraiya kinda got walked back, a little, in a bizarrely roundabout way. And we're not talking spoiler[a human here. Aren't the Tailed Beasts immortal? Maybe he'll come back as a kit. Wink Given how Kurama has been split up and passed around all over the place], anything is possible, though I would imagine they'd take awhile to act on that, given the dramatic, angsty potential the situation offers.

I really do feel for Naruto though. spoiler[Kurama's been with him his entire life, so advantages aside, that's a huge hole in his life. He's already lost both his parents and his foster father, as well as the Third Hokage who was a foster grandfather figure. Iruka and Kakashi are his only remaining mentors.]

So can Sasuke heal his eye or is he going to have to go find another Uchiha or Otsuki donor somewhere (for a clan that's been wiped out there still seem to be a lot of sharingans out and about)? What became of all those eyeballs Danzo was hoarding?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Ep 219

So I guess Sumire is going to be Boruto's Hinata? Shy girl watching her boy from the sidelines? Ugh. It's not that I mind so much if he ends up wanting a girl just like the girl that married dear old dad, I just don't need another support girl in this franchise.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:44 pm Reply with quote
re: Ep 220 -- I can't help but find the language Boruto's adopted for scientizing Otsutsuki host-hopping hilarious. Like, the central fear permeating this episode is: oh no, will Boruto's gunzip / winzip extract Momoshiki.zip extra fast!?! Hopefully no one tells Momoshi about Pigz.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Lol, I hadn't thought of it that way, but yeah.

Still, it was kinda touching in places, at least until they pulled a semi-deus.exe with the pause feature so they could abruptly switch gears back to the chunin exams...again, while putting Code in sleep mode for awhile.

I kept thinking Sarada might approach Dad to find out if there was something she could be doing (without killing anybody) to get whatever sharingan it is that lets him warp around dimensions. If they can't unearth an extra Uchiha eye from the vaults (surely Orochimaru has one or two tucked away - hell, after Itachi went on his murder spree, you'd think the village elders would've collected eyes by the bushel for future use, given how readily interchangeable they are), she seems the only available alternative. (having said that, I've long forgotten what all it took for Sasuke to acquire it)

Speaking of Orochimaru, does it kind of feel like they're replacing him with Amado?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Ep 221-222

Unless there's another trick up their sleeve, this is a ridiculous way to choose promotions. If they're not selecting opponents according to who they expect to win and lose, then they could be turning down some of their most qualified candidates (like if they randomly drew Boruto vs Mitsuki or Sarada vs ChouChou). But if they are making deliberate selections, it seems rather cruel to make the lesser skilled ones think they have a chance. I suppose it's better than the incredibly stupid last-one-standing method (unless you only need just the one, ever).

And what is this with genin being in ANBU Black Ops? It didn't sound like they were just doing training that would eventually suit them for it.

Funny how we went from "scientific ninja tools disqualify you," to "scientific ninja tools be fine."
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Ep 240

Is this Land of Waves arc ever going to end? I thought we might be almost done several weeks ago, but it just keeps going. Now it seems headed for a whole new phase instead of towards a wrap. >.<

I still don't get how people who can literally walk on water keep being in danger of drowning.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Ep 243

So apparently they sat half a day and examined and stared at a piece of paper with cryptic writing on it, that had been previously carefully folded, and it never occurred to anyone to refold it? And what did it say? "Drink Ovaltine!" Or something like that. >.>

I kinda thought Boruto might relate Kagura's tale of an outcast childhood to Naruto's, but nope. Never even crossed his mind. (ha, just noticed spellcheck recognizes Naruto but not Boruto)

I wish this arc would end with the Big Battle coming up, but I suspect they'll drag it out to another 4 or 5 episodes. The ongoing stupid is going to burn a hole in my brain before this is over.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:32 am Reply with quote
Ep 244

Omg, this just keeps getting stupider by the minute. The army is coming, let's hide everyone! Wait, the kids are gone! And they took Kawaki's headband that he casually left lying around. They'll run right into the army! Ah, kids, saved, disaster averted. Wait, now Hebi's gone! She'll run right into the army! We'll go after her! Let's hurry and slooowly amble off at grandma speed...

Can none of these people stay put for five seconds? gah :headdesk:
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:02 am Reply with quote
Ep 249

So they really couldn't come up with a better design for the cairns marking the graves? They look like gray poop emojis without the eyes. Especially Hebiichigo's smaller one, which really looks like someone took a dump on her resting place. Poor girl can't catch a break even in death.

This was actually a slightly better episode, though I don't know why Iwabe and Denki waited so long to free themselves. They're shinobi but they couldn't sneak out until everyone left? Also, they're in the middle of a war zone, but Metal is yelling at the top of his lungs during the search for them, like no enemies could possibly be within earshot. The meditations on war and cycles of revenge are pretty trite, but I guess I don't expect anything too deep here.

Good fight scene though. Nicely animated.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:26 am Reply with quote
Ep 254

Oh thank god, it's finally over. I think the stupidity of the resolution drained the last of my IQ points. ::drools stupidly:: They were really flogging those dramatically colorful eye closeups for all they were worth, maybe as a distraction so we wouldn't notice how idiotic it all was.

And I guess Kawaki just up and killed Daddy Funato and that's fine with everyone? The same as it would've been fine with the Leaf Village if they killed the Hokage's son?

Speaking of that, the thing that maybe bugged me the most about this was how Boruto's all sacrificing himself like Jesus, placidly going to his death without one single word for Sarada and Mitsuki to take back to his family, like, he loves them and hopes they'll understand why he had to do this. No indication whatsoever that they crossed his mind at all. Feh. I have to wonder if the writers even have families.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:31 am Reply with quote
Ep 255

Oops, spoke too soon. Had to endure an entire episode of wrap-up. Guess Daddy Funato didn't die, just wishes he had. And here I thought Supermax solitary confinement was cruel and unusual punishment. But as far as I can see, after all those episodes, we're right back to where we started, except with a few fewer people. Is this supposed to be some meta commentary on the futility of war?

And gosh darn it, girls just can't understand that guys need to talk things out with their fists! Rolling Eyes

Those grave sites need a bra. Yeah, I know, inner 12-year-old, but it really does distract from the gravitas of the conversation they're having.

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:09 am Reply with quote
Ep 261

Man, this grade school class has some really freaky looking kids in it, even for the Leaf Village. But Kawaki is always good to have around, and he and Himawari are always fun together. I still want them to just make the series about him. At least this arc should be more entertaining than the previous one, or the time-killing one-offs we've had.

I don't understand his undercover coat. It's basically his regular coat, but with ragged sleeveholes and no accents. And for some reason changing his hamburger symbol to a layer cake. Hope he and the princess do stay just friends with no romantic overtones, though she'll probably develop a crush on him anyway.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:34 am Reply with quote
Ep 262-273

Well, I guess I kinda got my wish, since Boruto was barely in this arc, and Kawaki got all the screen times. It was...ok? I think maybe the best part was his Katsuyu (Tsunade's slug) costume for the school play. And Himawari playing her dad. Smile

The whole setup was just so absurd, with him towering over all these little kids and no one wondering about it at all. And they all worshiped sensei, but not one ever noticed the reversal in her hair color when she was evil.

Lol at all 13 kids each having to have their "Hana-sensei!" moment, then all taking turns literally finishing each other's sentences about what sort of person she was, then all shouting "Hana Sensei!" five more times. Having just seen Rocky Horror over Halloween, it was like replaying the "Janet! Dr. Scott! Janet! Brad! Rocky! Uuh" sequence.

Looks like Boruto gets to come back to his own series next week. He should be well rested.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:26 am Reply with quote
This Slugboy Kawaki arc and the Water Wars arc just before it were both before it were both pretty decent. I had given up on Boruto for a while, but checked back in in the middle of the water one, and was pleasantly surprised to find I didn't hate it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ep 262-273

Well, I guess I kinda got my wish, since Boruto was barely in this arc, and Kawaki got all the screen times. It was...ok? I think maybe the best part was his Katsuyu (Tsunade's slug) costume for the school play. And Himawari playing her dad. Smile

Correction, Himawari was playing her grandfather, Minato.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 31