• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chinese Internet Conglomerate Tencent to Invest in Kadokawa

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karanoro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:50 am Reply with quote
@ATastySub

you need some chinese slang to read they comments, is highly related

other post
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/qia1pa/tencent_acquire_686_stake_in_from_softwares/
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/449bcd235282ca646b34db2b749636053e073817/comments
https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/news/211029o

stake Kadokawa
Kakao (7.30%) Tencent (6.86%) Nobuo Kawakami (6.35%) NTT Corporation (4.58%) Sony Group Corporation (1.93%) CyberAgent (1.93%) Nintendo (0.75%) Toshiba (0.47%) DNP (0.37%) Oji Paper Company (0.22%) Mitsubishi Paper Mills (0.05%) Fuji TV (0.05%)

(wikipedia:source)
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:
Just this whole thing make me wish that it was Sony it was buying a minority stake in Kadokawa instead of Tencent. I say this because I've trusted the Sony brand in terms of tech and reliability. That, and I had a personal experience in China in middle school during 2006. I was pulled over and held at gunpoint by the People's Liberation Army while on my way to the Hong Kong airport.

Sony is already a major player in Anime, Aniplex is Sony, along with their subsidiaries A1 pictures and Clover works. Sony also has a 2% stake in Kadokawa, from a deal earlier this year.

Also Sony already working with Tencent anyway, Aniplex was the one who handles Mo Dao Zu Shi's Japanese dub.

Tencent is probably plan to delve into anime gacha market considering other than uma musume, the recent big hitters in the market are from Chinese developers like Yostar or Mihoyo. On top of publishing their stuff (like MDZS above) or finding connection to anime studios. The worst part of this is the possible flood of gacha games and anime adaptation of Tencent:s property.
Inosaska

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:45 pm Reply with quote
League of Legends has slowly but surely is getting censored with changes being done to female skin outfits and also other types of changes that are subtle. This takes time to occur and its also done in a way to not bring about large amounts of attention. The same thing is going to occur with Anime's that Kadokawa creates going forward. I can also imagine any re-releases are going to have changes done to them to fit censorship requirements.
aiem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh great. Another Japanese company gets shareholders from a Chinese company. Nothing ever could go wrong with this! I mean it's not like it plagued other creative art works by being censored to hell just so they don't piss of these shareholders.

I mean at this point, it's just pick your poison.

Do you want to get a chance to tap into the American market? Move HQ operations to US. They just need you to comply to their ideology.

Want to have a chance to tap into the Chinese market? Get investors from China! They just need you to comply to their ideology.

Slowly but surely. Japanese companies will be Japanese only by name.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:39 am Reply with quote
Post removed. Please stick to topic, ie "Chinese Internet Conglomerate Tencent to Invest in Kadokawa".

Also, if you have an issue with moderation, take it up in the Feedback forum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
James_xeno

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:56 am Reply with quote
Well it was fun while it lasted... It's a two front war against censorship now.. Neo-moralist ****wits on one side and communists/totalitarians on the other.

How brain-dead do you have to be to actually still allow the CCP, in the current year, to buy into your countries/societies?! Current (unrestricted globalist especially) market/business ideology needs to die a slow painful death.. like so many other things under its dogma.

Never let a niche go mainstream is pretty much the lesson every fandom should have learned by this point.. Gatekeep, gatekeep, gatekeep!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3