• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yoshiyuki Tomino Doesn't Want You To Read This Article

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:43 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the reference to my blog, though the whole "Loran" thing is really just an amusing little coincidence that I played up for a final little joke to end my piece about the episode.

An amusing little aspect about Cucuruz Doan's Island is that the episode itself was directed by Minoru Yokitani, which is simply just a pseudonym Tomino himself would use on occasion. Considering Tomino's own eccentricities, I can certainly believe that Tomino just blames "Yokitani" (i.e. himself) for the episode, since he was the one directly responsible for it, hence why he won't reveal the reason why he banned the episode outside of Japan, since "Yokitani" is still alive.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's the Streisand Effect in action: the more Tomino attempts to hide the episode, the more infamous it becomes.

It's not like he's made more of an effort to hide it over the years though, right? He requested it not be released originally and they didn't release it. I haven't heard anything about asking him to reaffirm that. I assume nobody knows if they asked him about excluding it again from the more recent American Blu-ray release or if they simply assumed how it'd go and left it out again.
MKVarana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:13 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Quote:
It's the Streisand Effect in action: the more Tomino attempts to hide the episode, the more infamous it becomes.

It's not like he's made more of an effort to hide it over the years though, right? He requested it not be released originally and they didn't release it. I haven't heard anything about asking him to reaffirm that. I assume nobody knows if they asked him about excluding it again from the more recent American Blu-ray release or if they simply assumed how it'd go and left it out again.

Shawn from Rightstuf said he really tried to get it on the US Blu ray release, but was unable to.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:46 am Reply with quote
Thank you for that, I was honestly wondering if there was an answer. Was that on Twitter or at a panel or something? Seems like sometimes these small details get lost in places.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:48 am Reply with quote
MKVarana wrote:
Kicksville wrote:
Quote:

Shawn from Rightstuf said he really tried to get it on the US Blu ray release, but was unable to.

Episode wasn't up to snuff on what he wanted it to be even under the circumstances and seems to have caused Yasuhiko quite the distress for awhile. Maybe he was keeping it from releases as it diminished what they were trying to achieve under their care and to be kind? Now with him willing to work on it they decided its time to start adding in they believe.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know there was a lost episode of Gundam until now.
Great article.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know about that actual official set of English subs from last year. That's pretty neat. Maybe I'll one day get to see that Yashigani Crab episode of Lost Universe that was entirely swept under the rug after all.
kakugo complete

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:59 pm Reply with quote
"We don't know exactly why Tomino wanted to bury this episode" - there's no mystery unless you dismiss the entirety of 0079 as "awful animation even for the time, that only got even worse once Yasuhiko left" (which is silly if you compare a great episode like Char Returns to Doan Island). Why assume Tomino wasn't being honest when he said over & over again the episode was a particularly troubled production with particularly bad drawings?

"We don't know if the episodes were made out of order or not" - Zambot, Daitarn, and Gundam all started a week after the previous show ended so it's extremely unlikely the episodes were made out of order.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Looks like there was a trend going on at Anime Friend with the loss of animation quality for that episode. Anime Friend was also involved with some of the lower quality animation in a few of the episodes of Macross.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Curiously, according to this blog post and this other one, the slim Zaku that Doan uses is actually more faithful to Okawara's original "settei" drawings than Yasuhiko's bulky version. This episode's animation director, Kazuyuki Suzumura, apparently doesn't have credits anywhere else, which makes me wonder if he worked on Gundam under a pseudonym.
kakugo complete

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I think "I don't get it, how is it particularly bad" just not wanting to admit there's a lot of good work in 0079 & the bad meme drawings stand out as shitty for a reason.

You rarely find this much subtle honest emotion in an anime let alone a 70s anime, and this is TV animation: https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/142549

Char Returns has great action & is one of the best looking episodes overall:
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/138793
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/147307

Zhou-BR wrote:
Curiously, according to this blog post and this other one, the slim Zaku that Doan uses is actually more faithful to Okawara's original "settei" drawings than Yasuhiko's bulky version. This episode's animation director, Kazuyuki Suzumura, apparently doesn't have credits anywhere else, which makes me wonder if he worked on Gundam under a pseudonym.

Interestingly the first Zaku gunpla was pretty slim too. I assumed it was just so they could recycle RX-78-2 parts but maybe there's more to it.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I was going to purchase the Bandai Namco Arts box set of the series mainly for this episode, but was put off by the fact that I did not know if the episode in question had subtitles or not. I suspected all other episodes would be except that one. It's nice to finally have confirmation that it does have subtitles.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Hm... article really fails to explain the episode's popularity. The examples cited for its popularity are all Japanese media, yet as the situation was framed, this episode was "lost" (and therefore only had mysterious allure) to international audiences.

So the question remains: why does Japan love Doan's Island?

Though, further, there's the question of whether or not that's a valid premise in the first place. Pretty much every aspect of the 1979 series that could be spun-off into a manga or side story by now probably has six different ones. Could the story good/popular enough to warrant a feature film not also be attributed to those?

Or, hell, the self-contained nature could presumably allow it to be yet another "cheap" adaptation of The Origin, chosen because this way (yet again) they're not committed to adapting the whole thing.
khaos1019

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:08 pm Reply with quote
kakugo complete wrote:
"We don't know if the episodes were made out of order or not" - Zambot, Daitarn, and Gundam all started a week after the previous show ended so it's extremely unlikely the episodes were made out of order.

Television episodes aren't always produced in the order that they air. Especially for animation, it takes months to produce episodes, so it's not hard to imagine that some of the episodes were produced out of broadcast order (even more so when certain scenes are being sent overseas for additional animation work). This is true for a lot of productions even today. Different parts of the production are usually working on different episodes at the same time.

Considering that the character sheet for that episode has a "#?" for the episode number, like the article says, it's easy to draw the conclusion that this episode was being worked on, but it wasn't clear where exactly it would fall in the series.
#LuckyMei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:21 pm Reply with quote
"After he was shocked to find he'd orphaned three civilian children in combat, Cucuruz Doan leaves the war and instead uses his Zaku to defend the children and their caretaker, a young woman. It is the only time in the series that we meet a character who isn't affiliated with either side of the war."

I'm sorry, but excuse me? The main cast are dragged into the war, with characters like Kai and Sayla certainly not feeling any particular "affiliation". Cameron Bloom, the neutral man from the neutral colony batch of Side 6 and Mirai's fiance? Amuro's pacifist mother? The Side 7 refugees? Garma's lover - Icelina - who wants nothing to do with the war? These people aren't "affiliated with either side of the war." Trying to concoct some story about how Tomino banned the one episode with neutrally aligned characters is preposterous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3