• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Mad Bull 34

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:57 am Reply with quote
I absolutely love MAD BULL 34--it reminded me a lot of DEATH WISH 2 & 3, two of my all-time favorite movies. MB34 is one of three shows I gave a "masterpiece" rating to, the other two being PING PONG CLUB and GALAXY ANGEL A/AA. I always look forward to "Buried Garbage" --they always sound like the most interesting shows featured in any ANN review column.
Mr Blister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

Plus there are omissions aplenty! No Mafia? NO MAFIA? What about the cyborg wheelchair-bound Latino mafia, huh?! Or the Chinese suicide assassins who "no care about own lives" and their tanks they drive down the middle of the street? Or that time Sleepy fought the Predator (with the Alien's head) in the middle of a baseball stadium? I could understand if you neglected to mention the part with the kittens that have shotguns strapped to their backs. That was only in the manga, along with the part where they fought Dracula. Plus there was a more recent sequel manga, Mad Bull 2000. You think "America's Mayor" was able to successfully make it a crime to be homeless and/or be in possession of Japanese-style coffee cans that double as grenades all by himself?! NUH-UH. You may say that the New York of today is not the New York of this anime, but that's only because Mad Bull cleaned up the streets, one shotgun blast at a time. Criminals got the message: you don't eff with the crossdressing cop with the .45.

Well, that's me sold! Laughing

*Starts looking on ebay*
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
Justin, I must say that you have moved up in my book for making a Fake joke. It takes a real man to bring up Dee. At least NYC in Fake (the manga, since the OAV takes place in the woods of England) actually felt like NYC.

I have only seen the 1st vhs of Mad Bull and I was floored at how utterly odd it was. I still have it in a box somewhere. Now I must dig it out and watch it again. Just to laugh at it. Oh and I might even share it with a few friends. haha. Sadly, I'd rather force them through Fake than make them watch Mad Bull.

Oh, the OVA hurt. It hurt me so much. Seriously, why can't anime ever get England right? I guess at least they didn't even try when it came to the voice acting in the dub, so it doesn't quite match up to Hellsing in terms of sheer awfulness.

But yeah, the Dee joke had me laughing out loud. Kudos.

*~Pips~*
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:13 am Reply with quote
Oh goodness, I know what you mean about poorly researched American cities in anime. I've always loved how Miami Guns portrayed Miami as being quite mountainous.

I still like to believe that our cops do actually wear Bonta-kun suits during drug busts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Which edition did you read? Bothe eBookJapan and Amazon.jp listed 27 volumes, released from June 1986 (volume 1) to June 1994 (volume 27).

Buried Garbage wrote:
Screenshots ©1990 Kazuo Koike/Noriyoshi Inoue•Shueisha, Inc./Pony Canyon, Inc./Magic Bus.

I wonder why Shueisha was involved? The manga was published by Koike Shoin, a publishing company owned by Kazuo Koike.

Thanks, fixed. According to what I read, the series was initially was published in Young Jump.

Anime World Order, thanks for your corrections too. They've been added and credit given.

Lolotakun wrote:
Believe me, it is possible to enjoy Mad Bull 34, at least if you live outside of NYC. I thought it was pretty funny and I wasn't overstrained by the general over-the-top attitude of the whole thing. (snip) This aside, I question the purpose and sense of the "Buried Garbage" column. Even if the titles presented there are pretty interesting, the meaning of it outside of the fun of the author writing it is cryptical to me.

Well, of course any review column is going to be completely the opinion of the author and yours will likely differ. Given your taste for over-the-top bloody action I imagine you enjoyed Genocyber as well, which I took plenty of flak for featuring in the normal "treasure" section. The area is for me to writhe in agony revisiting some of my least favorite anime that might be good for a snicker by others. Nothing more.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
I've heard of Mad Bull 34. I've also heard how universally bad it was. In fact, it is mentioned only once in a blue moon in the anime community.

Great article, Justin. By the way, does anyone think Sleepy looks like Final Fight mayor Mike Haggar? Laughing

As for Gunsmith Cats, while Sonoda and co. did do their research in some aspects, there were a couple of things that felt out of place. One thing is: Americans don't bow when they greet people. I immediately caught this during the second OVA episode when Rally and Minnie May meet up with the drag queen. Another thing is: Why would an ambulance carry an axe? Confused
billyarnie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I was fortunate to live & work in Long Island City (Queens) for 2 months in the summer of 2005. My tourist experiences were limited to taking the subway to the WTC hole in the ground & eating at Mickey Mantle's on the day of the Puerto Rican Parade. I thought of going to Coney Island July 4th & watching the Nathan's Cramming Hot Dogs Down Your Gullet contest. Fortunately, I watched it on ESPN instead. I stayed at my hotel & we saw the fireworks from the roof that night.
My main impression was walking around L.I.C. & noticing the stoops & building fronts were like the "East Side Kids"/"Bowery Boys" movies my San Antonio, TX TV stations showed when I was a kid. WOW! It looks the same as on "L&O:SVU" & "CSI:NY" too... Laughing
BTW, jsevakis, feel free to visit the River Walk in S.A. some summer... like This Summer when the Spurs are Back-2-Back NBA Champs & have their river parade... I hope... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I laughed my butt off reading the entire review.

I'm still not going to see it though.
Eos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
At least NYC in Fake (the manga, since the OAV takes place in the woods of England) actually felt like NYC.

That was my impression of Red Garden, it seemed to capture the atmosphere better (tons of Broadway signs and cafes Razz ). It wasn't perfect, but an enjoyable show. The location was meant to be more of a backdrop instead of a portrayal of the city.

Acquainted portrayal

n00dle wrote:
Yeah, while you, the cool and worldly New Yorker rudely push passed them on your way to do IMPORTANT things, cause your such an IMPORTANT person, in the most IMPORTANT city in the world, right?

Yea, that take that citizens of a collection of boros I'm not acquaninted with!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I will always remember Mad Bull 34 for one thing and one thing only: Hand grenade jockstrap. I think they pulled that gem out at the end of the last episode and some ten years later I'm not at all sure how I got that far in the series.

You may not have seen it in the actual series...that part was featured prominently in at least one of the long-running, multi-series trailers Manga used to put on all of their VHS tapes. It may even have been in the one set to KMFDM that was on the GitS VHS, but I'm not quite sure.

I've never seen this show, but I was really intrigued to know just how awful it was. Because from the trailers, it looked REALLY awful. Just not awful enough to drop $15 or so on a VHS tape. Razz Great read, great review!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Lolotakun wrote:

This aside, I question the purpose and sense of the "Buried Garbage" column. Even if the titles presented there are pretty interesting, the meaning of it outside of the fun of the author writing it is cryptical to me.

The point is so that people like me can have a laugh every few weeks. It's called "having a sense of humor."
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Which edition did you read? Bothe eBookJapan and Amazon.jp listed 27 volumes, released from June 1986 (volume 1) to June 1994 (volume 27).

Buried Garbage wrote:
Screenshots ©1990 Kazuo Koike/Noriyoshi Inoue•Shueisha, Inc./Pony Canyon, Inc./Magic Bus.

I wonder why Shueisha was involved? The manga was published by Koike Shoin, a publishing company owned by Kazuo Koike.

Thanks, fixed. According to what I read, the series was initially was published in Young Jump.

You know what? I screwed up this time. Embarassed While eBookJapan, Amazon.jp, and Yahoo! Japan Comics are trustworthy sources, Mad Bull 34 has an odd release record, and apparently I forgot to check each and every volume for respective publishers. No wonder there's a big gap between volume 19 and 20.

This page has a complete release list of Noriyoshi Inoue's works: the original Shueisha edition between 1986 and 1990 had 19 volumes; the Koike Shoin edition between 1993 and 1994 had 27 volumes (which was very rare for a later re-release to have more volumes than the original); there's another series, released by Koike Shoin in 2004, even after Mad Bull 2000.

I've corrected them; sorry for confusion and inconveniences.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like it sucks as much as the dub of Angel Cop
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Hey, I can't help looking at monsterously large buildings that eclipse the sky when I'm in a city that's four to five times bigger than the biggest one around where I live. You should be glad that there are people who come from all around the world to admire the place you live in.

I'm perfectly cool with tourists visiting and checking out the buildings. All I ask is that they step to the side and do it. Stopping dead center in the middle of the sidewalk to gawk/photo-op is just...

This review brings up a good question, how many titles are there that demonstrate detailed research on foreign locales?

I remember articles about the Bones team traveling to Morocco for the CowBe film. Then, there's the Full Metal Panic: TSR team traveling to Hong Kong.

Of course, there was the brief shots of Times Square, Canal Street/Chinatown and the (then) World Trade Center from the Read or Die OVA.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
How about France for "Anime San Juushi" a. k. a. "Anime Three Musketeers"? I think it looked like Monkey Punch went down to France to research the famous landmarks like the Versailles for the anime based on what I've seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5