• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses 8 Anime Including Kakegurui, Made in Abyss Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:29 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

What else is left? Re:Creators comes to mind.
This tweet lists all the Amazon titles we still need on BD. There's still a fair amount left. https://twitter.com/rootsofjustice/status/1428860080460599300
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:41 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
I don't know if anyone was asking for a redub of Kakegurui and Drifting Dragons (which seems like will probably happen) but okay.

It's hard to say if that will be the case. Sentai and other companies have included Netflix dubs in their releases almost every time. I think it was just Baki and Hero Mask that didn't have them. I'm not sure why those two were significantly more expensive to the point of not being worth the cost, but I don't think that's enough of a trend yet to assume it will be the norm going forward. If this slate of titles is missing them though, then we can start assuming that will be the case.

With Kakegurui in particular, Anime Limited has had the UK license since 2018 and their last update on that release almost a year ago had them specifically mention getting the Netflix dub as "complicated" and that's why it has taken so long on their end so there's reason for concern here with that dub.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Happy they were able to get Made in Abyss S2 (although not gonna lie, I'm a bit nervous about the remaining stuff in the manga from what I've heard), and the Lupin announcement is a surprising grab. I'm sure Discotek would have done an amazing job with the series, but they have so much on their plate and I imagine TMS will still be pretty involved with the release, so I'm not too concerned. I personally thought Iroduku was boring as hell, but hey, at least its another Amazon title that's been rescued - only a few more to go now!

Kakegurui's dub might be spared from being re-dubbed considering it was left out of the big "here are all the new dubs coming out" video alongside Haikyuu S4, Food Wars, and other Sentai/Amazon shows, where as Drifting Dragons was included despite already having a Netflix dub. Or at least it has a better chance of being spared.

On that note though, I've also seen a few industry people going "it will get a re-dub, but that's fine, I don't care because I never watched the dub," which just makes me roll my eyes. I didn't watch Kakegurui dubbed, but it being on Netflix I know a lot of people did and a lot of people really enjoyed it. And despite my own personal preferences, I think its a shame for them to lose out on that for a blu-ray release. In the same vein, I never really cared for the ADV Eva dub over the JPN cast, but you can bet I was really happy that it will at the very least be included on that GKIDS LE blu-ray. And at the same time, disappointed for fans that it will likely only be included in that collector's set.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:15 pm Reply with quote
They got lucky with Made in Abyss, you would expect Funimation or Netflix to have snatched that up.
Ampharos wrote:
Just waiting for that last bit of Amazon leftovers now. Would love a Happy Sugar Life blu-ray someday.
I quite liked Altair, there is also Banana Fish. It would be interesting for them to release Amazons latest Anime release, Evangelion 3+1, that way the English release of Eva will have began in Huston and ended there.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Turkey on the region availability list.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
John Thacker wrote:

This tweet lists all the Amazon titles we still need on BD. There's still a fair amount left. https://twitter.com/rootsofjustice/status/1428860080460599300

Out of that List I hope Funi will try and scoop up Rage of Bahamut S2 and Psycho Pass since they have the prequel series for both. Though after the disaster that was Psycho Pass 2, Funi might be hesitant to grab the rest.
tsog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Ampharos wrote:
Just waiting for that last bit of Amazon leftovers now. Would love a Happy Sugar Life blu-ray someday.

Ditto. That and Altair are the only ones left I'd be interested in physical release from the Amazon slate.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I noticed that the release territories for Kakegurui includes Latin America, I wonder if Sentai can include Netflix's Neutral Spanish dub since it was pretty well done, The Seven Deadly Sins was the only series which its Neutral Spanish dub was released on home video from what I remember (it was done by Funimation). Sentai has done some Neutral Spanish dubs in the past few years, but their work hasn't been very good, they have been involved in the dubs for series like No Game No Life, Food Wars and Parasyte the Maxim, and even people who like dubs don't have a lot of nice things to say, they dubbed some of them in Córdoba, Argentina (and even as an Argentinean I didn't know they did dubs in that province) with some actors from Buenos Aires (where most Argentinean dubs are made) and Chile collaborating in them, and that resulted in a weird mixture of accents and acting quality.
Zen119

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad that they have confirmed the acquisition of Girls und Panzer das Finale Part 2 and 3. Even got my pre-ordered copy of Das Finale Part 1 last week. I'll just have to wait for the release date for those.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:02 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Cool! Yuki Yuna got rescued from licensing hell! I already own the first season on BR after managing to get it on sale, but I hope Sentai dubs the second season and brings back the LA voice cast like they did for K-On.

Here's hoping they do dub the later seasons. Kinda surprised/happy that Sentai got Yuki Yuna, since, you know, PonyCan USA kinda stealth exited selling their anime overseas themselves a while back, and being more of a music/artist/band (and other things) destination on their socials now. At least some of their other titles are with Sentai, and that their releases for Yuki Yuna can be more affordable.

NG_Chloe wrote:
Excellent, can they stream the second season of yuki yuna as well, I can't stream it anywhere

They had it exclusively streamed on Amazon, however, it's no longer available, hopefully they'll stream it on Hi-Dive/VRV someday.

Thespacemaster wrote:
Also where is the second season of Himouto Umaru Chan? they never got it for the west. Sad

They did, however, its available streamed on Amazon (Prime membership required to watch), and on Hi-Dive/VRV, sadly, it never got a home video release stateside, nor a dub that the first season had, it's sub only.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Kinda surprised/happy that Sentai got Yuki Yuna, since, you know, PonyCan USA kinda stealth exited selling their anime overseas themselves a while back, and being more of a music/artist/band (and other things) destination on their socials now

Well, they tried to ape the Aniplex model with expensive premium releases ...without the kind of catalog Aniplex had. Yuki Yuna was their only title of weight...
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Kinda surprised/happy that Sentai got Yuki Yuna, since, you know, PonyCan USA kinda stealth exited selling their anime overseas themselves a while back, and being more of a music/artist/band (and other things) destination on their socials now

Well, they tried to ape the Aniplex model with expensive premium releases ...without the kind of catalog Aniplex had. Yuki Yuna was their only title of weight...

Yeah, copying Aniplex's model wasn't really the best idea for, at the time, a new company like PonyCan USA, despite, you know, releasing expensive volume sets in the mid 2010's when other companies have gone the seasonal or complete series sets that have been the standard over here, and at lower prices. I mean, yeah, Yuki Yuna, at the time, was their best title since it had dual audio and amazing animation. Though yeah, as of now, S1 can still be streamed on CR subbed only, and it also used to be on Netflix (with dual audio). And that out of the single volume sets, vol. 2 is OOP, as well as the complete season 1 Blu-Ray set, only vols. 1 and 3 remain as they are, or were (since Sentai picked it up), Right-Stuf exclusives.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
John Thacker wrote:

Out of that List I hope Funi will try and scoop up Rage of Bahamut S2 and Psycho Pass since they have the prequel series for both. Though after the disaster that was Psycho Pass 2, Funi might be hesitant to grab the rest.

Isn't the bigger problem with Psycho Pass 3 also needing to get the Sinners of the System movies?
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see a new slate from Sentai. I'll be picking up Kakegurui and probably Iroduku. Nice to see Yuki Yuna rescued from Pony Canyon too.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

FUNi has Bahamut S1 but Sentai has it's spinoff, Mysteria Friends, which they dubbed and gave a Limited Edition to.

Blanchimont wrote:
NeoStrayCat wrote:

And without Regular Edition options that Madoka Magica had and the LEs being horribly oversized, that's what doomed those releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3