• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tite Kubo Pens New Bleach 1-Shot Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:20 am Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
I hated the ending. It annoys me when authors go the spoiler[years later everyone’s is married an has kids] route, but I especially hated this ending because to me there was never any hints spoiler[ of romance betweenIchigo and Orihime and suddenly 10 years later they’re married with a kid?!] That completely ruined the whole story for me. Yup, that single thing completely ruined 600+ Chapters. I wonder if this new chapter will be about spoiler[Rukia and Renji’s wedding]? Now that I could see and it made sense to me. From his introduction I felt it was left very clear that spoiler[Renji had feelings for Rukia.]
I would like to read about that, but I don’t want to see anything about spoiler[ ichigo and orihime] so in my case, this series is dead and buried, unfortunately. Sad

Uhhhh pretty sure their were hints, mostly on Orihime's side but hey Ichigo's a shonen protagonist. He can't exhibit attraction to women.

I mean its the lead and the sorta main-ish girl (after Rukia), of course that was gonna happen.
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:11 am Reply with quote
Bleach was so trashy, save Rukia, save Orihime... then turns out Orihime was never needed to begin with... introduce some new human characters with cool powers like Chad, quickly drop them. But Ichigo gets another new power-up, that is quickly rendered moot. Bleach had a nice concept when it first began, like a diet Spirit Detective Arc, but then it develops into a crappy Shonen Battle formula with way too many characters to keep track of, and the main character is the only one able to do anything.

That final arc though... spoiler[one of the worst things I ever read. There is so much random nonsense going on, and one the biggest problems with Bleach is the gross amount of new characters it is constantly throwing at you and introducing, that are quickly forgotten. Then it all resolves in a way that... doesn't really explain anything, and the fates of a large number of characters is left up in the air.]
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:29 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Soulwarfare wrote:
Still hoping the anime that comes out does what Tite Kubo originally intended instead of the axed ending of the manga

The manga was never "axed" stopped peddling this nonsense.

You're correct that it wasn't axed, but it was clearly rushed though. Anyone that kept up with it weekly will tell you that. Kubo's health just wasn't very good and so he never got to include everything he wanted to, which is why people talk about the anime adding additional content.
Zagnaphein

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:55 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I don't know. I think the war arc was really poorly handled. Ichigo gets axed before he can even participate and then is overshadowed by Urahara and all the other members from Soul Society like in Arrancar but quite rushed. Even Ichigo's new powers were wasted as he is defeated by Juha like nothing and the second round was more rushed than the finale of Katekyo Hitman Reborn. I hope Pierrot saves this arc.

Bold of you to assume things will be changed xD
Zagnaphein

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:58 am Reply with quote
BlueBeast33 wrote:
gedata wrote:
Soulwarfare wrote:
Still hoping the anime that comes out does what Tite Kubo originally intended instead of the axed ending of the manga

You're correct that it wasn't axed, but it was clearly rushed though. Anyone that kept up with it weekly will tell you that. Kubo's health just wasn't very good and so he never got to include everything he wanted to, which is why people talk about the anime adding additional content.

No one knows what happened with Kubo and Jump the only thing beeing assumed that is true is that he said he wanted 2 years to finish Bleach and ended up with 5. I am not sure he had health issues it was just bad writing and rushing to an ending that couldn't be given the way he wanted to.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:35 am Reply with quote
Zagnaphein wrote:
BlueBeast33 wrote:
gedata wrote:
Soulwarfare wrote:

No one knows what happened with Kubo and Jump the only thing beeing assumed that is true is that he said he wanted 2 years to finish Bleach and ended up with 5. I am not sure he had health issues it was just bad writing and rushing to an ending that couldn't be given the way he wanted to.

He literally had a torn tendon in his drawing shoulder by the time the final chapters came out and had to have surgery on it. Add on to the fact that he was getting sick more and more often due to the mangaka lifestyle...yes he was having health issues.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:15 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Soulwarfare wrote:

It clearly was. Just compare the pacing and progression of the last 5 chapters with the one we've got for more than 10 years straight. Nonsense is calling that rush job natural writing (even the slow paced epilogue tried to cram a lot of things it just couldn't for an after story).

The cause of the axe is forever up to debate, of course (there are several good arguments on that), but it's clear that it was cut short to wrap things up ASAP,
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:55 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:

It clearly was. Just compare the pacing and progression of the last 5 chapters with the one we've got for more than 10 years straight. Nonsense is calling that rush job natural writing (even the slow paced epilogue tried to cram a lot of things it just couldn't for an after story).

The cause of the axe is forever up to debate, of course (there are several good arguments on that), but it's clear that it was cut short to wrap things up ASAP,

A lot of that comes back to Kubo, though. He knew in advance that he had a 5-year period to finish things up, yet he wound up squandering huge chunks of that on sidetracks that wound up not going anywhere constructive. (I haven't read the manga personally, but I have a friend who turned spoiler["Mayuri fights a giant hand for three months straight] into a running gag.) He had ample time to work things out in a satisfying way, but he didn't and was forced to rush the end because whoops time's up.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Kubo was given a time frame to end Bleach, agreed to it, and then continued to work as if there wasn’t an end date for 5 years. He attempted to call Jump’s bluff by not taking it seriously and thinking that if he clearly left it far from an endpoint they’d be forced to let him keep going. He was wrong. Jump was not bluffing. Bleach’s stock had fallen that far even if he didn’t want to admit it. So then we got a rushed ending. It only looks like Jump’s fault if you ignore that entire time frame.
If you’ve ever seen a stand up show people have allotted times and then have to leave the stage. If someone is given 15 minutes, and at minute 14 ignored the “wrap it up light” to begin a 10 minute bit it’s not the fault of the venue when they pull him off stage 5 minutes into it. It doesn’t matter how good they think their bit is. They chose not to tell it during their time, and are now trying to take others because they feel more important. It’s obviously disrespectful and being pulled off stage like that will sour even the good bits they had before that because it draws so much attention. And like here some people will go “hey he had good jokes why aren’t you letting him tell more?” but they’re missing the point that decisions like this are because it’s bigger than a single performance, and a performer who continues to try to pull those stunts will eventually find themselves without a booking.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
gedata wrote:
Soulwarfare wrote:

"It was axed because it feels like it was" is not proof. I feel more inclined to believe the weak flop of an ending was brought about as a result of health complications. There's actual statements from the man himself that lend to that conclusion.
MetalHunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Kubo was given a time frame to end Bleach, agreed to it, and then continued to work as if there wasn’t an end date for 5 years. He attempted to call Jump’s bluff by not taking it seriously and thinking that if he clearly left it far from an endpoint they’d be forced to let him keep going. He was wrong. Jump was not bluffing. Bleach’s stock had fallen that far even if he didn’t want to admit it. So then we got a rushed ending. It only looks like Jump’s fault if you ignore that entire time frame.
If you’ve ever seen a stand up show people have allotted times and then have to leave the stage. If someone is given 15 minutes, and at minute 14 ignored the “wrap it up light” to begin a 10 minute bit it’s not the fault of the venue when they pull him off stage 5 minutes into it. It doesn’t matter how good they think their bit is. They chose not to tell it during their time, and are now trying to take others because they feel more important. It’s obviously disrespectful and being pulled off stage like that will sour even the good bits they had before that because it draws so much attention. And like here some people will go “hey he had good jokes why aren’t you letting him tell more?” but they’re missing the point that decisions like this are because it’s bigger than a single performance, and a performer who continues to try to pull those stunts will eventually find themselves without a booking.

Kubo himself said that the reason Bleach ended the way it did was because of declining physical and mental health. In fact, he explicitly stated that he almost gave up a few times earlier but kept on because of support from his fans. Anything else is speculation.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/11/17/bleach-author-shares-emotional-story-of-ending-manga

My reading of it is that Jump would have let him continue if he was up for it, but that is also speculation. Personally, takes about Bleach’s ending without a mention of the physical and mental toll he took while making it irk me to no end for how cold it comes off.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
What is this 5-year time frame y'all are talking about? No such thing existed. The final arc didn't even run for 5 years. I'm honestly confused what you're even referring to.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:53 pm Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
I hated the ending. It annoys me when authors go the spoiler[years later everyone’s is married an has kids] route, but I especially hated this ending because to me there was never any hints spoiler[ of romance betweenIchigo and Orihime and suddenly 10 years later they’re married with a kid?!] That completely ruined the whole story for me.

Wha? I only watched the anime, but the Arrancar arc clearly showed spoiler[that Orihime had feelings for Ichigo]. Sure there was not much development after that and the anime went tailspin into filler arcs, but there was something set up. I do feel that Kubo dropped the ball as that led nowhere for the remainder of the story, spoiler[and Reji and Rukia's relationship, while not really romantic at least showed them coming closer together overtime.] A lot could've occurred spoiler[after the timeskip] at the very end, so it was certainly half assed, but there was some set-up spoiler[and Orihime trying to kiss Ichigo] was an infamous moment imo.

Anyway, I do hope the anime does change things up and if Kubo had other things in mind that the ending arc be rewritten to accommodate that, and particularly spoiler[to develop Orihime and ichigo's relationship] more.
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:49 pm Reply with quote
SP654 wrote:
And still no word about the new season For the bleach anime

I'm willing to be we'll get some info soon, maybe around Jump festa at the latest
rikku45

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:43 am Reply with quote
Awww yea, imagine getting the to las to the last page and it says to be continued in the bleach sequel!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3