• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie to Screen Again in U.S. Theaters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:17 am Reply with quote
Trash movie... But holy hell if it doesn't bring back some memories!
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:39 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
5D's got the least butchered dub, actually. GX had the worst since they turned it into essentially a gag dub. DM, Zexal, 5D's, and ARCV are just all around standardly terrible. I expect VRAINS to be no different

Fair point about GX, but that was only for one season. I think 5D's got it worse because it had more visual edits, and altered the characterization of the cast more than GX's dub did.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:18 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

I wouldn't say that. Granted, I've only seen their Pokemon dubs, but there are quite a number of music changes, dialog changes and censoring. I assure you the original movies had no Britney Spears, NSync, or Weird Al music in them

I never watched Pyramid of Light given it was US made/non canon, and my friends tell me it was horrible, but apparently in movies they're allowed to use actual cards rather than those ugly stretched pictures like in all the TV dubs, although the censored American art I would assume.

-Stuart Smith

Back then yeah, but recently the movies are pretty much untouched. A fairly recent Pokemon film I watched still had the Japanese ending. I think the Yugioh movie dubs still have music changes, but don't quote me on that, it's been a while. spoiler[I actually like the dub BGM anyway for YGO]

It's not that bad, it's just inconsequential. It's not meant to add anything to the story, it's just an hour or so of nicely animated dueling and fight scenes. It's essentially an extended filler episode, but if no one told you it was US-made, you probably wouldn't know.
And yeah, they can't show the real cards in the TV show because of TV advertising laws.

Anyway, I wish they'd show it here again :< I never got to see it in the cinema when I was a kid.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:

It's not that bad, it's just inconsequential. It's not meant to add anything to the story, it's just an hour or so of nicely animated dueling and fight scenes. It's essentially an extended filler episode, but if no one told you it was US-made, you probably wouldn't know.
And yeah, they can't show the real cards in the TV show because of TV advertising laws.

I always thought the Yugioh movie was more like season two of Big O in that it might have been commissioned by the U.S. but it was still made by Japan. The movie itself was even aired in Japan with an extended cut.
DevonteHuntley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:06 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
4Kids has always done a better job with their movie dubs than their series dubs, for some reason.

What do you mean, "for some reason". They were theatrical projects, not bind by the guidelines of standard TV, so they of course got the lenient treatment of not being edited as much and then the cards got to be shown as they are in real-life. I have no idea why Bonds Beyond Time didn't display the cards this way though since that wasn't a TV special.
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
But Yugioh The Movie just feels too typical and safe and doesn't try anything special with itself. Like if it at least had higher quality animation to be impressed by that would at least give the viewer a reason to revisit it at some point.

Yeah, the movie comes off as something fitting for a TV special than a theatrical movie because the story is just limited which you'd expect to be bigger and better. Then again, the first Pokemon movie wasn't all that big and grand either since it was mainly set on that island in that laboratory facility and there weren't that many characters. I think the Yu-Gi-Oh movie was a tad more broader than that. JUST A TAD. Perhaps the first Pokemon movie shouldn't have been put in the theaters either, haha. But yeah, it could have been way bigger and maybe not dwelled so much on the duel because that was kind of drawn out, especially when Anubis then took over.

The story was decent, but could have been a lot better. And I would have made it a sequel. I think the first theatrical movie should have been an origin story where Yugi solves the puzzle, meets his friends for the first time, and we see how he deals with Atem before the events of Duelist Kingdom, since we never seen that displayed in full in the Duel Monsters anime and since "Season 0" isn't really canon or was ever redone with better animation due to the attention needed on the card game. I think a prequel story should have been a better option, and then the Anubis story (with tweaks and a longer story and not so much duel focused) could have happened years later and been a sequel. HOWEVER, the only thing with the prequel angle is that the card game would have to be simplified to how we see them play it at school since the hologram thing can't be utilized yet since that only came into the characters' focus in the first episode. Not sure if 4Kids would have wanted to commission a story resorting to plain dueling even though it's an origin one and thus leading up to everything in the anime we're familiar with. I don't think it should have mattered.
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It was also always kind of weird how the movie's prologue completely retfconned Yugi's origin story from the series.

I don't see it retconning that much. We never really see the aftermath of Yugi solving the puzzle in the anime, only that he solved it. So the movie doesn't really contradict anything that we were told of that ordeal in the anime because it was just a brief piece of detail that was never too specific in all that happened that moment.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:32 am Reply with quote
^
You do realize that you're responding to posts that are nearly 3.5 years old, right? That's generally frowned on unless the topic is freshly relevant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DevonteHuntley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:17 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
You do realize that you're responding to posts that are nearly 3.5 years old, right? That's generally frowned on unless the topic is freshly relevant.

I don't care. There's no time limit to when I can post on threads. It's still active and I had plenty of things to say to these people on their opinions and the topic of the movie. If the people are still active here, I'd probably get a response from them and see where they stand on their mindsets now. If not, I still stated my two cents. People want to frown on me, then let them frown.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:31 pm Reply with quote
DevonteHuntley wrote:
Key wrote:
^

I don't care. There's no time limit to when I can post on threads. It's still active and I had plenty of things to say to these people on their opinions and the topic of the movie. If the people are still active here, I'd probably get a response from them and see where they stand on their mindsets now. If not, I still stated my two cents. People want to frown on me, then let them frown.

Actually, yes there is a time limit on many articles. It's called necroposting. The "plenty of things" you've had to say thus far are also mostly just rude and belligerent in nature towards other users, because they have a different opinion then you. Which also violates our rules along with the necroposting. Several of your other posts have been removed for those rules violations. You might want to check out the rules on this forum before continuing on with posting.

I'm locking this one up because it's simply not relevant anymore and there are other Yu-Gi-Oh! threads users can post in (without the rude comments) to discuss the franchise like actual review discussions.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2