• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Um... Millenium Actress?!?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:31 am Reply with quote
Okay, BAAF people. You got to see this movie that I'm all hot and giddy for probably a good year or so ahead of the rest of us.

SO TELL US WHAT IT'S LIKE! TELL US IT'S GOOD! please.

I mean, I hate to diverge everyone's attention away from Inu Yasha and whatnot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cgoten

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I didn't watch it, I probably should have. After I found out the 2nd Bebop showing was sold out I didn't go to the theater.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:58 am Reply with quote
Posting a reply to bump this topic back up near the top, so I can hear YOUR OPINIONS ON THIS SUPPOSEDLY FINE FILM THAT SOME OF YOU HAD TO HAVE SEEN. JEEZ.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:23 am Reply with quote
Even though I haven't seen it, I'll say it sucks and is overrated just to be funny.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:07 am Reply with quote
The irony here is that nobody will care if you slander a legitimate film like Millenium Actress.

But if you, say, call Love Hina a festering pile of crap designed solely to appeal to sweaty-palmed loser fanboys who will never, ever, ever find dates, you will be flogged.

Just watch.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:47 am Reply with quote
I know I haven't been on here for a while, but you never read my review of it from last year? I have no idea if what was shown in New York was the same cut as what was shown at FantAsia in Montreal last year; I get the idea that some of the music may have been missing back then.

Anyhow, it's a great movie, but I predicted back then that a lot of Perfect Blue fans will hate it simply because it's an entirely different movie and there isn't nearly the same amount of graphic violence and there isn't really a plot twist nor is it a psychological drama. Just a tribute to Japanese cinema through the ages, nothing more and nothing less.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:10 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

But if you, say, call Love Hina a festering pile of crap designed solely to appeal to sweaty-palmed loser fanboys who will never, ever, ever find dates, you will be flogged.

Just watch.

Actually, come to think of it, I was one of the few people who defended the IGN.com review of Love Hina, though not so much because I have anything against Love Hina myself (never seen it or read the manga), but because the review was so over the top in its characterization of male fans of "5 chicks, one guy" anime love comedies in general, I didn't think the review was meant to be taken at face value (and I still don't).

But, since Love Hina was released over here, I've seen far more negative reviews of it than positive on newsgroups and forums.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Anyhow, it's a great movie, but I predicted back then that a lot of Perfect Blue fans will hate it simply because it's an entirely different movie and there isn't nearly the same amount of graphic violence and there isn't really a plot twist nor is it a psychological drama. Just a tribute to Japanese cinema through the ages, nothing more and nothing less.

Most people in this world, hopefully, are able to appreciate a director whose films vary and differ in style.

Hopefully.

And good to see ya back, Tenchi.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Byron: Even Takashi Miike's doing a documentary for kids.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1