• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Animator Ippei Ichii Says Netflix Anime Produced at MAPPA Paid Bottom Rates (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Columbo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:16 am Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
What does a "per cut" mean?

A cut refers to a scene. One episode usually contains around 300+ cuts.
Animators aren't paid by the amount of drawings they create but by cuts.
Igetin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:31 am Reply with quote
Columbo wrote:
Richmyster84 wrote:
What does a "per cut" mean?

A cut refers to a scene. One episode usually contains around 300+ cuts.

A small correction: a cut is the smallest unit of footage denoted on the storyboard, and a scene consists of multiple cuts.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:36 pm Reply with quote
r4737 wrote:
We have heard about the bad condition of the animators several times in the past months. Please let's change this situation.
One of the main reasons why animators get paid so little is that anime studios focus only on the limited domestic market and therefore cannot earn enough money and do not know that anime is very popular outside of Japan. And people are already paying to watch anime, so streaming services like Netflix take advantage of this and pay a small fee for the right to play anime.
Let's create a situation where instead of paying for streaming services to watch anime, we pay this directly to anime studios.

(The rest of the text is some non-sense virtue signalling BS)

A patreon for anime studios literally won't work. A lot of animators are freelancers, there are also a lot of studios who are doing mostly in-betweens. The bulk of people will just donate to the most well-known studios like KyoAni, Trigger (which has a patreon BTW), Ufotable, MAPPA and Madhouse. Lesser studios and studios who have never produced anime (yet do important tasks like in-betweens, key animation, etc.) won't benefit from that suggestion of yours.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:56 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It's not really surprising, people keep saying that Netflix is going to improve pay for animators, but why would they when the cheap costs benefit them.

Exactly. I think a lot of people are under the mistaken assumption that because a company can pay better that it will. Like any business, Netflix will pay as little as it can where it can. That tends to be especially true for entertainment companies where they make a bunch of content and hope something works, and with the the hits basically subsidizing the misses.

I've seen from time-to-time that Netflix isn't currently profitable, and we know that it is very tight-lipped about its numbers. At some point, they may have to confront that issue, and as much as it sucks to say, a business probably isn't going to pay better if it means burning through the money they have that much faster.

I guess my point is that expecting deeper pockets to mean better pay was pretty wishful.
Muse_of_Salzburg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
r4737 wrote:
We have heard about the bad condition of the animators several times in the past months. Please let's change this situation.
One of the main reasons why animators get paid so little is that anime studios focus only on the limited domestic market and therefore cannot earn enough money and do not know that anime is very popular outside of Japan. And people are already paying to watch anime, so streaming services like Netflix take advantage of this and pay a small fee for the right to play anime.
Let's create a situation where instead of paying for streaming services to watch anime, we pay this directly to anime studios.

(The rest of the text is some non-sense virtue signalling BS)

A patreon for anime studios literally won't work. A lot of animators are freelancers, there are also a lot of studios who are doing mostly in-betweens. The bulk of people will just donate to the most well-known studios like KyoAni, Trigger (which has a patreon BTW), Ufotable, MAPPA and Madhouse. Lesser studios and studios who have never produced anime (yet do important tasks like in-betweens, key animation, etc.) won't benefit from that suggestion of yours.

There are surely workarounds to make this a viable solution that make this worth considering though. Like, instead of a recurring payment, a way to make one-off payments on particular projects, which would help keep contract freelance animators in the loop, as long as it's kept track of who worked on what, which I'm sure they do already. Any kind of direct funding would serve the animation industry better than any second-hand way through a streaming service or physical media. I can at least speak of myself that I'd much prefer to pay a small lump sum and pirate it when a studio puts out something I enjoy, than pay an exorbitant amount to get it physically (both because I'm not a collector and a fair portion of that money isn't going back to the people who made the anime), or pay to see it on a streaming platform, as barely any of that subscription fee makes its way back to the people who actually made the media.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
It's not really surprising, people keep saying that Netflix is going to improve pay for animators, but why would they when the cheap costs benefit them.

Exactly. I think a lot of people are under the mistaken assumption that because a company can pay better that it will. Like any business, Netflix will pay as little as it can where it can. That tends to be especially true for entertainment companies where they make a bunch of content and hope something works, and with the the hits basically subsidizing the misses.

I've seen from time-to-time that Netflix isn't currently profitable, and we know that it is very tight-lipped about its numbers. At some point, they may have to confront that issue, and as much as it sucks to say, a business probably isn't going to pay better if it means burning through the money they have that much faster.

I guess my point is that expecting deeper pockets to mean better pay was pretty wishful.

In the meantime Netlix has spent $100 millions for 1 movie like Bright...I wonder how many good anime you can produce with all that Money...
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Alistair Durston wrote:

There are surely workarounds to make this a viable solution that make this worth considering though. Like, instead of a recurring payment, a way to make one-off payments on particular projects, which would help keep contract freelance animators in the loop, as long as it's kept track of who worked on what, which I'm sure they do already. Any kind of direct funding would serve the animation industry better than any second-hand way through a streaming service or physical media. I can at least speak of myself that I'd much prefer to pay a small lump sum and pirate it when a studio puts out something I enjoy, than pay an exorbitant amount to get it physically (both because I'm not a collector and a fair portion of that money isn't going back to the people who made the anime), or pay to see it on a streaming platform, as barely any of that subscription fee makes its way back to the people who actually made the media.

Dude, when did pirating helped in something?
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Alistair Durston wrote:

My ultimate problem with the patreon model is that aside from the logistical nightmare needed to implement it, you're basically creating a "tipping" model just like the restaurant workers. Why bother with paying minimum wages when the customers can just give tips? (through the pateron model).
yeehaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I think most people agree that we'd rather have animators be paid a living wage even if it results in less anime. We don't need 50 new shows every season. Quality over quantity etc.
But how do we fix this? Someone already mentioned that piracy is not a solution and I agree, but how do we show production comitees that we'd rather have them pay people than ten new "reincarnated in another world but there's a gimmick!" four times a year?
I hate this. I hate living in capitalist hell.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Wait, am I reading that Netflix's big money doesn't trickle down to animator wages? Shocking!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Did some cleanup. Let's forgo anymore pointless bait comments please. If you're going to comment on this please post something with actual thoughts and discussion to it. Thank you.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:16 pm Reply with quote
r4737 wrote:
We anime fans need to change this situation
when the chainsaw man anime trailer aired and chainsaw man became a trend on Twitter Japanese studios were stunned.
Japanese studios and animators should definitely realize that they have a lot of fans outside of Japan and in the world.
Please let's trend the word "#Support Japanese Anime Animator" on Twitter to let Japanese anime studios know that anime is popular in the world and the status of animators is important to fans.
This may be a small step, but rest assured it will change the situation in the future
I ask everyone, especially those who have a YouTube channel or site or Twitter account, to share this message with others.
The world of anime is a world we all love, so please let's protect anime and change the bad situation of the animators who make anime for our enjoyment.
Please let's trend the word "#SupportJapaneseAnimeAnimator" on Twitter

#SupportJapaneseAnimeAnimator

PS:
The use of the word "Japanese" is important because in Japanese both "anime" and "animation" word are called anime.

Unfortunately, there is no ethical consumption in capitalism, so efforts like these give the impression that consumer behavior is the primary driver of exploitation and is thus up to them to fix the plight of workers. The primary driver is producers, so only by forcing them to change via government action or mass unionization is going to change the situation.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Alistair Durston wrote:

Dude, when did pirating helped in something?

Honestly, if it were not for fansubs, I'd have been largely ignorant of some the greatest anime...way back in the 2000s. I bought all my favorites once they came over here...but I do remember waiting a good three or four years for that to happen.

So I do believe that fansubs got people to notice shows back then, we'd tell our friends and then they'd become fans too and buy the DVDs.

With immediate streaming nowadays though...fansubs are not so necessary anymore.

Netflix angers me though (aside from their very poor translations (don't get me started on Aggretsuko's lol) they won't release physical copies of some shows and that just isn't cool....nor does it make sense. My friend who adores the series cannot watch it unless she comes to visit me. That's really not fair. She SHOULD be able to buy an anime disc without being forced to pay for Netflix.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:13 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
I think most people agree that we'd rather have animators be paid a living wage even if it results in less anime. We don't need 50 new shows every season. Quality over quantity etc.
But how do we fix this? Someone already mentioned that piracy is not a solution and I agree, but how do we show production comitees that we'd rather have them pay people than ten new "reincarnated in another world but there's a gimmick!" four times a year?
I hate this. I hate living in capitalist hell.

I have no idea. Even if Crunchyroll vanished or closed-up shop overnight, it won't make a dent on overproduction. Other companies like Sony/Funimation, Netflix, etc. will just pick up the slack. Heck, other foreign companies might enter anime too like Amazon, AppleTV, Disney. This is due to the larger streaming wars going on. Anime fandom has no control over this.

Should the Japanese government mandate a minimum wage for animators? If they did, then corporations will just outsource in other countries like Philippines to lessen costs. Heck, corporations like Netflix, Crunchyroll, Sony/Funimation will just exploit animation from other countries if anime licensing became too expensive for them. After all, if Netflix was able to successfully market non-CalArts cartoon as anime to broader masses (a lot of people think that Castlevania is an anime!), what could stop them from marketing animation from other countries as anime (just make the artstyle adjacent to your typical anime!)?

Most people are saying that they're fine with less anime, and I agree. But the thing is less anime = less work. Less work does not mean that the corporations will be benevolent and will start paying livable wages to animators.

A pateron-style solution will never work because it shifts the blame to the consumers.

What could work? Frankly, I really have no idea.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:50 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
I think most people agree that we'd rather have animators be paid a living wage even if it results in less anime. We don't need 50 new shows every season. Quality over quantity etc

I really agree that we don't need that many...but I don't think we can do very much about it as long as we're outside of Japan. They make what sells the most. As long as the Japanese market is gobbling up isekai and idol shows, that's what they'll keep doing. Sigh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5