• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:19 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 4

It is not like the show is being great or anything, and I think fair to say that it is not even being that tasteful all things considered (did they let all the people corrupted into orgies die?), but I am still having fun with the show. The whole idol thing gave me a bit of a smile.

I have my suspicions that the girl with the gun that is ruling over the area might be someone from Earth also, as to explain why she is so strong and also a little savvy of things. I also have a soft spot for new character Horn.

Kind of thought it was interesting as that this episode felt like the first in a while where it was obvious that Diablo has real social problems, and his acting like a demon lord can have problems in communicating with his friends.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:20 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 5

Found out this episode that Horn is actually a girl. In my case I was kind of ruined by it, since I was kind of liking Horn's character I checked last week about the character and kind of found out then. Although, I kind of have mixed feelings about it when looking through a lens over separating gender from sex, since Horn presenting as male could still mean they identify as such, and saying it was convenient doesn't mean they don't. And that kind of makes the later part of the episode really uncomfortable when Horn seems to have been made to wear a skirt, with some reasons being given over finding out what Horn's sex is, and Horn actually expresses not being comfortable over it. I am not going to expect a show like this to do some good representation.

This show is totally trashy in places, but I did get a laugh of what looked like the priestess getting off on the holy energy being put into her. Also, a lot of topless Diablo.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:34 am Reply with quote
To me, the reveal was that we were supposed to think Horn being a girl was some kind of surprise.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:42 am Reply with quote
It's not as obvious in the LN. A result of different mediums, I guess.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:33 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
and I think fair to say that it is not even being that tasteful all things considered (did they let all the people corrupted into orgies die?),

Not sure what you wanted Diablo to do. Diablo was there to rescue Rem and Lumachina, not the dark followers who were celebrating Rem's and Lumachina's pending corruption and deaths.

On a more practical point, what exactly could Diablo do, for a bunch of people who were lost in dark esctasys, while they were being quite literally buried alive in sand. It looked like a close call for Diablo and gang too.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:06 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 10 (finale)

It would seem that this was the last episode, one of the rare 10 episode runs. I guess evidenced by how it added so much finality in removing the new characters, Lumachina and Horn, from the party, before showing where all the other characters are.

In the grand scheme of things, I kind of enjoyed this show more than other shows that have been out this season. Some of that is maybe just in being an aesthetically pleasing fanservice often, but it also kind of felt fun compared to a lot of shows, that I wonder if some part of a lucky accident or some part jells well. I don't think that it works the best all the time, some jokes are kind of duds, such that I am tired of Rem and Shera being defined by their difference busts.

It won't affect most people really at all, and probably upset more for me bringing it up, but I really did not like the switch in how Horn was treated from finding out their sex. I am not against the idea of it that she was pretending to be a boy, in fact within the likes of fanservice shows I can be into playing with gender, I just think that it can be better done. And I know that responses would be to tell me to stop inserting my own politics into things, I don't think it is a ridiculous motion that even shows like this could feed less into gender assumptions. To make an addition, there kind of seems like some something unfortunate about the villainous Gewalt, like as an effeminate man... I actually just did a little look up into the character, and a few sources and there seems to be mention that they are a trans woman, that they see themselves as a woman born in a male body, but nothing about portrayal seems to affirm the character, which is a bit yikes.

Not that I thought it was amazing, I did enjoy it, even in the face of some of its problems, it could even be fun at times. It did come across a bit like Diablo slid back in his character with going from how he could handle things before, but it gave him more definition as a character where even his own quirks could work against him. My rating is Good (7/10), where at least some aspect of fun made it more than just losing time and actually enjoy it, but it does seem like the sort of thing that could vary widely by case. Questions are probably there over where if it tried to "improve" in certain thins, it might lose focus of what its main audience might be. And at least being compared to something like Redo of Healer from the previous season, the show is pretty much a saint in not being a revenge rape fantasy.
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the show had production/budget issues? I feel like 10 episodes was too short a season, and we could've used an extra episode or two on the other characters. Anyone from season one not named Diablo, Rem, or Shera got shafted haaaaard with screentime this season.

I also didn't find myself liking Horn very much. Her getting a magical level up felt like such a deux ex machina for a character who, for the most part, spent most of the season whining/trying to run away. I won't miss her if season three ever gets made, that's for sure. Rose was cute, and Lumachinia was fine.

The change in animation studios was something I never got over, though. The show looked so cheap compared to last season, and season one was hardly groundbreaking to begin with.

I guess I still liked it overall - Diablo, Rem, and Shera are fun characters - but not much as season one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2