• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Super Cub

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ByakuyaToSaber
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:23 am Reply with quote
Judging by many posts, there are a number of non-motorcyclists watching this series who are finding some of the interactions, behaviors, and thoughts of the characters... puzzling or not realistic. This is just my personal experience and obviously does not reflect that of all motorcyclists, but there is some general commonality based on all the discussions I've had with other fellow bikers over the years here in the USA.

Back in year 2000... I took a motorcycle safety course that includes actual riding of a motorcycle. The single cylinder small displacement bike that I rode in the course was surprisingly extremely fun and exhilarating as a first-timer.

For whatever reason, riding a motorcycle changes your outlook on the world in front of you. As a new rider I would go through a mental checklist of what I was taught and read in the owner's manual for the bike. Koguma is fortunate in that the Super Cub has a semi-automatic transmission so she doesn't have to worry about a clutch and the occasional embarrassing stalls newbies have depending on the bike and the rider. My first bike had a dry clutch so that happened to me more often than I'd like to remember as I got used to applying the right amount of throttle with the right amount of clutch engagement from a stop. Finding neutral was also sometimes difficult and led to stalls when coming to a stop as you let out the clutch, and instead of neutral the transmission was still in gear. Clunk.

One thing that is very common among some new riders is remembering to switch off your turn signal, because on most bikes it is a manual process and doesn't happen automatically. I can't remember how often I did that during my first year. I smiled when Koguma did that in one of the episodes - twice. That happens. The scene where she practices late at night when there wasn't any traffic to get better at riding is reminiscent of when I'd get up early and take my bike to an empty shopping mall parking lot to practice. Her reaction when her bike wouldn't start also brought back memories. In her case she is lucky that it was just that she was out of gas AND her bike has a reserve tank. Sometimes the bike you have has some unusual feature and it slips your mind. Although short lived, my heart stopped for 10-15 seconds when I got back on my bike from shopping and it wouldn't start. Oh! The kickstand. The engine won't start unless the kickstand is up. A supposed safety feature on my first bike.

With respect to the rain I have a slightly different take on it than another poster. For me the upper body protection is essential, but the lower body not so much unless it is really cold. You have to factor in wind chill since it is a big factor on a bike. The Super Cub has some leg protection so that may help as well.

All of Koguma's behavior toward's her first bike are very similar to mine and other bikers I know. From backward glances, to patting the seat, to sitting down and reflecting on it visually, to looking out the window at it and smiling, etc. Of course when two bikers meet they can go on talking bikes and stuff for awhile. One thing most bikers share regardless of ANYTHING is the love of riding. Camaraderie is very high among motorcyclists. Last of all I found that as I got more experience and better at riding, more and more of the world opened up to me to explore. I have to say that Reiko's plan to ride from Hokuto City to the see the Suzuka 8 hour motorcycle endurance race is quite ambitious - it is almost 200 miles one way. I should mention another feature of the Super Cub that I found interesting is that instead of neutral being between gears like it is on my bikes, the Cub's neutral appears to be all the way down below 1st. Just to clarify for reference, my experience is only with sport bikes.

To sum up I find Koguma a quite believable first time motorcyclist... except the missing part where she is taught how to steer a motorcycle, because steering a motorcycle is NOT like steering a bicycle at all.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:38 am Reply with quote
ByakuyaToSaber wrote:
It is a ratchet-less socket drive. The peg is on the other side. The concave bowl on the back side that faces out reduces weight and material cost of the tool.

It sounds like what you're describing is a breaker bar, and I've never seen one like that. I'm not saying that design doesn't exist, but could you find me a picture of one? I don't see the purpose of the empty bowl, which adds width and weight to the tool, and fixes the angle, all for no reason, over just putting the drive square on a handle if you want a simpler tool than a ratchet.

I'm still awaiting the episode in which we find out what happened to the previous owner(s)...
ByakuyaToSaber
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:47 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
ByakuyaToSaber wrote:
It is a ratchet-less socket drive. The peg is on the other side. The concave bowl on the back side that faces out reduces weight and material cost of the tool.

It sounds like what you're describing is a breaker bar, and I've never seen one like that. I'm not saying that design doesn't exist, but could you find me a picture of one? I don't see the purpose of the empty bowl, which adds width and weight to the tool, and fixes the angle, all for no reason, over just putting the drive square on a handle if you want a simpler tool than a ratchet.

I thought what else could it be since the tool kit has sockets and the only thing that could be the drive handle is what you are pointing out. So what you are really saying is that the item in the scene is an incomplete rendering of a normal ratchet handle. In which case I think you are correct.
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:33 am Reply with quote
ByakuyaToSaber wrote:
This is just my personal experience and obviously does not reflect that of all motorcyclists
Here here, totally share your experience with both the anime and motorbikes. This anime is full of memory triggers especially the sound

I agree, Koguma experiences seem spot on for a new rider who gets hooked, but I do wish we saw her get a safety riding course like you and I had.

Japanese license does have 3 hour riding instruction - but not sure that was actual part of the licence for the time of this story. May explain at least her initial rider stability from the start while still being awkward.

Agree in a light rain you only need a top jacket, especially with the cubs fairings... but I think a lot of people missed she's wearing matching black rain pants that have two yellow pin stripes (different too her blue with one white stripe)

Yes the gearbox on a Cub is different. Neutral is the bottom gear. You will also notice the gear shifter is heal (down) - toe (up) shifter different to standard bikes. Its a 3 or 4 speed with an automatic clutch

Last edited by Dirtyshadow on Thu May 06, 2021 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:51 am Reply with quote
Huh, that was a hot-blooded episode. Also pointlessly reckless. "I will do what these people did in the past with no help, no training and almost no preparation!" it's a miracle that she didn't lose her life or her bike.
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 5 - OMG That story did Reiko dirty, she deserved better!
Its trope story to have her get knocked down, back up, never going to give up... but so frustrating to watch.

I can't believe a motorbike enthusiast like her was so prepared until the moment she started her hill climb. She studied the book, spoke to people and probably watched a tonne of trail riding youtube clips... why did she have to keep falling down.

* Despite Reiko's go fast attitude, there was no reason for her to go fast on unstable terrain.
* Why was she riding in the middle of the trail, she had perfectly good compacted caterpillar tracks to ride up, at a medium speed they are a mild vibration buzz but wouldn't have kicked her off.
* When she finally stood up on her pegs, she was too high and too far forward... only need an inch off the seat. Bum over the seat.
* I am assuming that the track is not a legal road... should of remove the mirrors and blinkers. Duct-tape over the headlight or remove it.

The best part is not riding up a mountain... its riding back down with only your back brake dragging your butt - that would of been a speed thrill for Reiko and we didn't see it cause the story had to have her limp back down each time.

Glad we got the story on the Cursed Cub, felt better for Koguma

Last edited by Dirtyshadow on Fri May 07, 2021 3:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What ensues is a scene with high paced music playing. I imagine that we're actually hearing what's playing in Reiko's helmet through a pair of headphones, or even from some speakers though it's also incredibly diegetic and dies out the moment Reiko hits a rock...and goes sailing onto the ground.

Why have I been discussing, dissecting in some cases, Koguma's own piano based inner soundtracks? EVEN before the music started playing, I knew Reiko's inner dialogue was going to be electric guitar. The genre would indicate mood, the instrument itself is pure Identity. No point in being surprised, it's been the entire show's soundtrack use since the beginning and it's why Koguma's dream threw me.

As to the episode itself... I was mostly just facepalming. Climb Mt Fuji on a motorcycle? Mark it off as achievements in human stupidity in the face of non accomplishments. "Because it's there" combined with "Because I haven't done it myself" but even prior to that, Reiko lost me with her feelings of underachieving while still in high school.

Quote:
And also, unfortunately, busts up part of her bike's oil container. Ah… and really, her entire bike. It's honestly a bit of a heartbreaking scene, if only because you just really want Reiko to succeed.

I do? Why?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit: I took pleasure on her ultimately failing in her stupidity. Too bad she never realized (or cared) why what she was doing was stupid and how there was absolutely no need to rush.
They might have tried to introduce some "progress" and "self-actualization" concepts, but ultimately it was a dumb teenager doing dumb things. And the adults around encouraging her.
chronium

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:50 pm Reply with quote
My only issue with this last episode is that they didn't explain why she needed to go up Mt. Fuji at max speed. If she slowed down a bit she would have done it instead of riding her cub like a motocross bike.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:48 am Reply with quote
chronium wrote:
My only issue with this last episode is that they didn't explain why she needed to go up Mt. Fuji at max speed. If she slowed down a bit she would have done it instead of riding her cub like a motocross bike.

She’s not going at max speed, evidenced by the fact that she sticks her leg down as she rounds the corner. Motorbikes are less stable the slower you go so you can’t slow down too much.

To all those saying she’s stupid for doing this, well yes she is. You could say the same about any extreme sport.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:29 am Reply with quote
What happened to my nice, relaxing, soul-soothing show?!? I cringed every time Reiko got thrown, damaging herself and the scooter. Thankfully, Koguma is too sensible to ever get caught up in such foolishness... right?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:40 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
To all those saying she’s stupid for doing this, well yes she is. You could say the same about any extreme sport.

Do extreme sportsmen start out on their sport of choice by reading a couple of articles, performing some minor change to the equipment they already own and go on their first time with no manner of company, help or supervision?
She had no experience, no training, no gear and no help and she decided to tackle the challenge before fixing any of those (unless buying just a pair of off-road wheels constitutes "enough gear").
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
She had no experience, no training, no gear and no help and she decided to tackle the challenge before fixing any of those (unless buying just a pair of off-road wheels constitutes "enough gear").

Remember that her Super Cub is very modded. She mentioned the engine and muffler upgrades before, but based on how much her tires were bouncing, I think the suspension was tuned for rough terrain too. And she was wearing a very good helmet (though she probably could have used more protection on her knees and elbows). So she had the gear, short of giving up on the Super Cub and using a motorcycle designed for off-roading, which would have defeated the purpose.

And just because we haven't seen her drive on dirt roads before doesn't mean she didn't try. There probably was no mountain road equivalent though.

I suppose she could have done a few more things though, like being aware of altitude sickness before experiencing it. It's easy to say that as an observer though. And if she tries this again (on Fuji or elsewhere), she will have learned from this experience.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
Remember that her Super Cub is very modded. She mentioned the engine and muffler upgrades before, but based on how much her tires were bouncing, I think the suspension was tuned for rough terrain too. And she was wearing a very good helmet (though she probably could have used more protection on her knees and elbows). So she had the gear, short of giving up on the Super Cub and using a motorcycle designed for off-roading, which would have defeated the purpose.

And just because we haven't seen her drive on dirt roads before doesn't mean she didn't try. There probably was no mountain road equivalent though.

I suppose she could have done a few more things though, like being aware of altitude sickness before experiencing it. It's easy to say that as an observer though. And if she tries this again (on Fuji or elsewhere), she will have learned from this experience.

I reckon I don't understand nearly enough about bikes to know how much of the modding counts as preparation, although I do know she could have removed some extraneous parts (which wouldn't help but it would save her some money). But as for the rest, well... she certainly had no help on-site, or remotely for that matter.
I don't know what kind off-road experience you can get with street tires, but it's clearly not enough. Using her own body to stabilize the bike sounds like something she shouldn't need to think about if she had experience.

I guess this is one of those things that easily, but even though I don't live anywhere close to a tall mountain, the dangers of altitude and cold (even in summer) are something that I've been told about my whole life. And Reiko had exactly zero preparation for any of that, she also seemed to have no contingency plans in case she fell downhill or anything serious (thank god her phone had reception). She seemed to ready her bike a bit and call it a day (which is in-character enough: if it isn't about her bike no thought will cross her mind), she winged everything else; which is an awful thing to do and a horrible thing for an adult to ignore.
I might also be a bit biased because I still remember Yama no Susume's Mt Fuji trek, which was quite an ordeal despite a LOT of time spent on study and prep, even though they were doing it on foot, and it was still not enough for one of them to succeed. And here comes this girl with a modded moped and intends to improvise her way to the summit.
pqlzam

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:18 am Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity, when was it revealed in the show that Reiko is the daugter of a politician? Because I must have missed that part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13