• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Megazone 23 Backer Credits

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
So I was looking at the Megazone 23 page, and I see that when credits were added from the recent AnimEigo Blu-ray release, someone decided to add all the backers (Under "Megazone 23 Omega Edition Premium Backer"), 336 of them when the only things that should be added are the credits that apply to the people that worked directly on the release and were under "Special Thanks" rather than simply being a Kickstarter backer. This info should probably be removed because not only does it ruin the formatting of the page (so much scrolling), it doesn't exactly qualify as encyclopedic information.
anime#2296

[Edit]Seems they also tried to add this to the other 2 entries.
anime#2402
anime#2403
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I feel like crowdfunding backers, no matter what tier they contributed (unless it got them a role in production on the show: at least I think there's been a few where some high-tier backers get a cameo voice role in the series), do not qualify for an encyclopedia entry. I'll leave this open to see if other encyclopedia editors have any opinions on it, but I can handle it easily if needed.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I agree 100% with EmperorBrandon.

In fact, I don't think "thanks" or "special thanks" credits should be added to the encyclopedia.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Special Thanks honestly I feel are fine, especially since they can appear in the original Japanese credits, I can recall seeing them in the past. They've also been apart of the encyclopedia for so long that if you enter simply "Special Thanks", it becomes "Special Thanks To". Typically there's not a lot of people on those. They also appear across pretty much every medium that has credits. They also can refer to people who helped out with something, such as the translator's notes for This Ugly Yet Beautiful World.
https://i.imgur.com/DBkSprC.png

Backer credits are much different though, especially since there's way more of them (in this case, 336 people).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
In fact, I don't think "thanks" or "special thanks" credits should be added to the encyclopedia.

I agree on the backer issue but I disagree with this, "Special Thanks" have proven to be very useful with certain dubs. With the original Pioneer dub of the Sailor Moon movies, Toei's former US branch, Cloverway, is credited under "Special Thanks" which shows they did have some involvement (though not as heavily as afterwards with S & SuperS). With the Viz dub of Sailor Moon, Toei's current US branch had some of their people involved and they're also under "Special Thanks" on most of those releases (with one of them even shown on camera during a session), it was later revealed officially that they're involved with casting approvals for dubs of some of their shows starting with FUNimation's dub of Dragon Ball Super (under ADR Approvals) and this crediting continued onto Viz's releases of the Sailor Moon S & SuperS movies (under Approvals) and then again with the most recent dubbed episodes of One Piece starting at episode 575 so basically they were involved in production of these dubs longer than when they were officially credited (though it was pretty known for years in One Piece's case).

Also with Viz releases in particular, they mostly credit everyone involved in their interview extras under "Special Thanks", including the staff & voice actors who participated in them on camera.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:03 pm Reply with quote
"Special Thanks" is so nebulous it's hard to tell how big a role they played, and it might vary from title to title. I can understand adding them for completeness, particularly when it's industry relevant people or companies.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:50 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Special Thanks honestly I feel are fine, especially since they can appear in the original Japanese credits [....]
Backer credits are much different though, especially since there's way more of them (in this case, 336 people).

I agree. I see no need for backers.
But if a "special thanks" appears in the Japanese credits, it usually means they actually contributed something to the production of the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1