• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Spring 2021 Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rrrrr!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:
Iruma 2 made it! Redemption!

YES!! I'm so happy! This manga deserves attention
Turro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Seem there is no love to Dragon Quest and Thunderbolt fantasy... both of them great shows.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Most of what I wanted (or watched but didn't vote for, like Combatants) got in, including Super Cub. It's a shame about Slime 300, but none of the reviewers liked it enough, so I guess it's fine. My tastes are very specific. Osamake is also understandable, it was not exactly the best premiere, but I was still curious how the reviewers would react as the story unfolds. As for Precure: others have mentioned it already, perhaps the weekly reviews are the right format for it (I still voted for it and I always will), not to mention it has a dedicated audience but it's still a very tiny one, most people are either actively avoiding it or just never heard of it in the first place. And I don't exactly blame them, the market is currently saturated with titles, even I can only pay attention to like 10 series at once maximum each season, not counting the continuing titles or shorts.

By the way, welcome aboard Callum.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm really shocked that Backflip didn't make the cut, it was maybe my favorite premiere of the season and thought it was fairly well received among the reviewers that at least one would want to take it in.
Also surprised by no Thunderbolt Fantasy, it's always been such a huge ANN favorite. Though now that i look at it, it's not even in the preview guide, i guess none of the reviewers watched it? I didn't think Zac and Jacob where the only believers of the Urobutcher puppets, that's a shame.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Looks like possibly way more shows than I voted for made it in. Biggest surprise inclusion might be Super Cub. Even though I'm watching it, I didn't vote for it here because honestly... I couldn't really see this type of show inspiring any interesting commentary, at least on a week to week basis. I'm super curious to see if I'll be proven wrong, but I imagine its going to be a tough show to cover for the complete opposite reason most shows are considered "difficult to write about."

Disappointing about no Thunderbolt Fantasy, or even Pretty Boy Detective Club, but as multiple people already said, I can't be too shocked about the former given that its (seemingly) only supporters are no longer here. I don't even know if I would have kept up with weekly reviews tbh (since there's so much to cover this season), but I hoped the shows would get enough votes anyway and I could see them making for really fun reviews.

On top of the returning favorites like Fruits Basket, I'm super interested to read weekly reviews for shows like Mars Red, Odd Taxi, Shadows House, and SSSS.Dynazenon aka the shows where I don't exactly know where the hell its going yet. Same with the shows I'm skeptically curious about, but not fully convinced on yet (Higehiro, Joran, Vivy, Snow White Notes, etc...).

Also, I'm super curious which show James put as his number 1 pick: Megalobox Nomad or To Your Eternity. I figured there was no way he wouldn't get at least one of those two, but that worked out well for him haha
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Dang, no Killing Slimes.

Nice big list, though.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:58 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'm really shocked that Backflip didn't make the cut, it was maybe my favorite premiere of the season and thought it was fairly well received among the reviewers that at least one would want to take it in.
Also surprised by no Thunderbolt Fantasy, it's always been such a huge ANN favorite. Though now that i look at it, it's not even in the preview guide, i guess none of the reviewers watched it? I didn't think Zac and Jacob where the only believers of the Urobutcher puppets, that's a shame.

Do remember that, while reviewer willingness/availability to cover a title is a factor, the decisions about what does and doesn't get covered are mostly based on poll results. It's not unusual at all for a title to have a handful of ardent supporters in forums but not generate much interest overall for coverage, and Backflip was one that I fully expected to be in that category.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I don’t know if it’s because Covid messed with the typical airing schedule and made this year look particularly filled to bursting by comparison or what, but I felt so spoiled for choice that I already knew that a lot of what I was personally hoping for probably wasn’t going to make the cut, even with all the new voices added to the reviewers pile. That said, have we seen work from Callum before? I didn’t see their name on the Preview Guide, but they got nominated for 86; I was kinda hoping to see what their writing style was like.
Malsang

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Hi yes I'm the guy who voted for the inclusion of Joran. I (tentatively) don't agree with the sentiment that it's a bad show. It's got a satisfying visual flair, and while most of the characters are unlikable, amoral, self-centered killers, the fact that we're only three episodes in and have already had multiple betrayals and double-crossings means that it won't be boring, at the very least. And even if those characters never become more likable, I'd wager that there is a place for those kind of people: a mad bloodbath of a tale. Could it end up becoming a failed soup of haphazard motivations and questionable logic? Oh of course. Heck, given the track record of other seasonable anime, it's probable, even. But it might end up being something akin to Ninja Scroll, and that's worth letting people know about. It's certainly NOT the next Gibiate, which I didn't even give more than five minutes of disgust before dropping.

I'm also glad that Super Cub got picked up. Slice of life shows aren't really my thing, but the direction of the first episode was fantastic. I'll be keeping an eye on Blue Reflection, Pretty Boy Detectives, and Tokyo Revengers. I'm not surprised that those didn't make it in -- as noted before, this is already a huge amount of seasonal anime for ANN to review. But maybe these ones will surprise me.

I am very happy with how the Spring season is shaping up.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's a lot of shows getting reviewed.

Shame Pretty Boy Detective Club didn't make it in. Anime definitely isn't the best format for the material, but I hope it at least gets a TWIA once it's gotten a chance to show off just how dumb the solutions to its cases can get.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm positive several of the series that didn't make the cut will still appear in TWIA, such as Backflip and Pretty Boys Detective Club.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Shame that Godzilla can't make it. The showa spirit in that show is so refreshing. Also, looking forward to Joran reviews. It'll be interesting to see how it'll play with the elements of the classic movie while being rather chuuni in essence.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Backflip!! seems like a massive absence, wow.

Burning Kabaddi too.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Count me in as someone else surprised & disappointed Blackflip didn’t make it. I kept reading the list again to see if I missed it. Well I certainly voted for it

I am also disappointed Kiyo in Kyoto didn’t make it but based on the reception I am not surprised by that outcome.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Shame that Godzilla can't make it. The showa spirit in that show is so refreshing. Also, looking forward to Joran reviews. It'll be interesting to see how it'll play with the elements of the classic movie while being rather chuuni in essence.

I think we're getting it officially in like, July? I'm sure we'll at least get a TWIA for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4