• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon TV Anime Gets 'Part II' Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Frankly, I've long been baffled about why this series is getting ragged on so much. While the characters focused on may be different, the series has, for me, had a similar enough feel and entertainment value to what Inuyasha was doing in the middle of its run. The only significant negative I can see, by comparison, is that Towa is just kinda there personality-wise.

I'm aware that it's not an InuYasha reboot and it is its own story...but the series felt to me like there was too much jammed in for it to be balanced, I guess.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Yashahime had been a rather frustrating experience as a long time Inuyasha fan and I think this announcement that a second season is definitely coming is to make up for the fact that the final episode of this season ends on a major cliffhanger with how it is pretty obvious that it doesn't have enough time to wrap up all of the major loose ends, it at least lessens the blowback.

Maybe during the break, the crew behind Yashahime would hopefully have better plans for where they want to take the story and of course, bring back the OG cast and give them more to do next time because it honestly felt insulting to see where they had ended up and not do anything with them and especially with Inuyasha and Kagome because like everyone else, we all want that reunion scene with Moroha!

Speaking of which, more development for Moroha and quit sidelining her please!
Shiyonasan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I see both sides as to how people view this show.

TarsTarkas is right in that a lot of people view Yashahime and want to see how the characters they know in Inuyasha ended up.

But I mostly agree with Key because I think Inuyasha, at times (like in the middle of it's run as Key said), had some of the same episode formulas as Yashahime: who's the monster of the week we have to beat now? I think both Inuyasha and Yashahime feel a bit too episodic at times.

I do think a lot of people miss the rom-com camaraderie between Inuyasha and Kagome, as well as the usual Rumiko Takahashi humor and shenanigans. Yashahime doesn't quite have that, though Moroha is a good humor character.

That being said, I do think Season 1 of Yashahime was in the good, but not great category. I'm hoping that the staff for Season 2 build on the weaknesses of Season 1, take some feedback from fans, and make Season 2 better. I think the off-air break will be good for them to refine Season 2 whenever it comes out.

I'll stick around for Season 2. I'm interested enough to see where Yashahime goes from here despite Season 1's issues.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Shiyonasan wrote:
I think Inuyasha, at times (like in the middle of it's run as Key said), had some of the same episode formulas as Yashahime: who's the monster of the week we have to beat now? I think both Inuyasha and Yashahime feel a bit too episodic at times

The key difference being that, for however much it meandered (and it meandered a LOT), Inuyasha still had clear stakes and clear goals for its characters that progressed in a way that made sense. There was always a forward momentum because the characters were always on the move, so you knew there was an eventual destination.

But Yashahime? The characters were extremely static, both in location and in development. Multiple episodes began with them talking to Hisui and taking random odd jobs from the exact same locale, so there was never a sense of that movement to a destination. And the character's motivations remained either underexplored (Towa), so mundane that there's nothing to latch onto (Moroha), or actually just nonexistent (Setsuna). Why should we care about Towa finding the butterfly if she barely remembers to look for it, and most of the show is spent with them in the same locations instead of doing anything about anything?

They may both have monster-of-the-week material, but the execution is vastly different.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I am so happy we are getting a second season. I absolutely love Yashahime. I am a big fan and Towa is my favorite character in all anime besides Tanya and a few others. I am so excited and can't wait.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, they're gonna milk this thing despite it being a complete mess.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:22 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Shiyonasan wrote:
I think Inuyasha, at times (like in the middle of it's run as Key said), had some of the same episode formulas as Yashahime: who's the monster of the week we have to beat now? I think both Inuyasha and Yashahime feel a bit too episodic at times

The key difference being that, for however much it meandered (and it meandered a LOT), Inuyasha still had clear stakes and clear goals for its characters that progressed in a way that made sense. There was always a forward momentum because the characters were always on the move, so you knew there was an eventual destination.

But Yashahime? The characters were extremely static, both in location and in development. Multiple episodes began with them talking to Hisui and taking random odd jobs from the exact same locale, so there was never a sense of that movement to a destination. And the character's motivations remained either underexplored (Towa), so mundane that there's nothing to latch onto (Moroha), or actually just nonexistent (Setsuna). Why should we care about Towa finding the butterfly if she barely remembers to look for it, and most of the show is spent with them in the same locations instead of doing anything about anything?

They may both have monster-of-the-week material, but the execution is vastly different.

I think this about sums up the feelings I have right now. Even the worst show in the world will set a hard bar for a sequel to climb. When that show is actually iconic, that hurdle can be nearly insurmountable. Most fans generally go in hoping for an oxymoronic outcome; the same as before, but different. At the bare minimum, the hope is that the sequel improves on what was perceived as wrong with the original.

Yasahime's first struggle is that, unlike Inuyasha, there was no manga to consider. I know a lot of people thing "yay, original anime (sort of)" but Inuyasha fans, even if they didn't read the manga, at least knew there was one that had a story that went somewhere. Yasahime doesn't. So while that means we can't be spoiled by what comes next, when it does meander and seem to go nowhere, there's nothing to latch onto and say at least we know it has a narrative destination.

I am one of those rare birds that doesn't mind "filler" content, as this is generally the stuff that flushes out characters, the setting, and other parts of the story aside from the main action. Done right it builds the story without taking away anything from the main plot. Not only does Yasahime not do it's "filler" content well, there is no sense in watching it that it builds on anything at all, or is leading anywhere. It's just there.

Yes, Inuyasha had its share of bad filler, but it earned the patience of the audience to endure that bad filler by also having an engaging main plot and good filler along the way. It feels too much like Yasahime is trying to ridge on just the notoriety of its predecessor and hoping people stick around for all this bad stuff in hopes it gets to some good. It's not abjectly terrible, but it is far closer to that than a show of this pedigree ought to be.

Why is there the disparity between Japanese audiences and western ones? Who knows. I'm not going to speculate because I've got no facts to back up any assertion. And it's not the first time a show I thought to be fairly bad has exceeded my expectations (it's not even the biggest one this season). As is it's the bottom of my watchlist on Saturdays, whereby I don't even care if I miss it and have to push it back a day, or a week, or more. But it isn't off my watchlist either.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:56 pm Reply with quote
One of the best things for me each week is to read James' review of this show. I dropped it many episodes ago and just read the reviews for great entertainment. Tells me everything (and more) I need to know and just affirms that this entire series is fanfiction catering to nostalgia. Watch if you want, enjoy away, but don't try and pretend it's good because it's not.

As for popularity, it airs right in the family (read: kids) time slot on Saturday afternoon just before Detective Conan (on NTV, same station) and before Doraemon (on Asahi). That whole time period on Saturdays and Sundays is purely "family time" and those shows are always the most watched anime in Japan. So you've got kids and parents at home watching between 4:30~6:30 pm. That's where this show is slotted, meaning the audience is expected to be the same people watching those other shows. Nothing wrong with that; you just have to keep it in mind that the TV is on while the family is doing their weekend stuff, so of course the rating might be high.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:

Basically this.

All of this. I'm not good at wording my feelings but your post resonates exactly how much of an impression this series left me so far
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Frankly, I've long been baffled about why this series is getting ragged on so much. While the characters focused on may be different, the series has, for me, had a similar enough feel and entertainment value to what Inuyasha was doing in the middle of its run. The only significant negative I can see, by comparison, is that Towa is just kinda there personality-wise.

The other major difference I can see is that this series, unlike the original, has no core romantic elements. It lacks some drama because of that, but that element also got soap opera-ish at times in the original so it's personal taste as to whether that counts as a positive or negative.

Anyway, while this show has not been a priority view for me for the last few weeks, I'll definitely be back for another season.

Maybe you should taken over reviewing for Season 2 from James then. Because he seems already past his limit with Yashhime. And to be honest, I don't blame him. This sequel has all of Inuyasha's bad qualities magnified times 10 and none of it's good ones.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I mean... from what I can tell the target demo for this show is young kids who may or may not be familiar with Inuyasha, but definitely don't care about all the issues that adult Inuyasha fans are getting angry over. They just watch the show when it comes on TV, enjoy it for what it is, and want enough merch that it's worth making more show for them. I'm not sure what's so surprising or controversial about this?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I also wonder if the lack of a TV broadcast is hurting Yashahime’s success in NA. A Toonami broadcast might have had the chance to expand the show with casual fans or newer fans who didn’t grow up with the original but now it seems like it’s mainly the hardcore Inuyasha fans watching it. I’m not sure why Toonami hasn’t already aired it since a simuldub was produced for it instead of rerunning Demon Slayer again. And I feel like I haven’t seen Viz promoting Yashahime on social media quite as much as they have been with their BD sets for the original Inuyasha.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I also wonder if the lack of a TV broadcast is hurting Yashahime’s success in NA. A Toonami broadcast might have had the chance to expand the show with casual fans or newer fans who didn’t grow up with the original but now it seems like it’s mainly the hardcore Inuyasha fans watching it. I’m not sure why Toonami hasn’t already aired it since a simuldub was produced for it instead of rerunning Demon Slayer again. And I feel like I haven’t seen Viz promoting Yashahime on social media quite as much as they have been with their BD sets for the original Inuyasha.

I think at least part of the answer there is that western media is a little more risk adverse than is being assumed. Demon Slayer is a know product and an absolute juggernaut right now, and was clearly on that potential path the day after the first episode aired. They are at the very least aware of how well and how poorly nostalgia trips can go.

Quite frankly, I doubt the show from a style and substance standpoint is one that would gain much traction with Toonami audiences. Certainly lacks the flare and drama of battles like most other shounen, and the themes are rather superficially covered. And the comedy isn't even that funny (personal tastes of course dominating there). The fact that not only has the show not caught fire with the west, but seems to be largely panned outside of Japan, means that at best this was probably pushed to the back burner of stuff to go after.

I would put this in the same category as Detective Conan, which Toonami (old) once tried to run as well. Despite it's huge popularity in Japan, it never stuck in the west. Yasahime might be in the same boat. It has a second season now to work with, so we'll see how things go. But international success is not a prerequisite for a series to endure.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
And I feel like I haven’t seen Viz promoting Yashahime on social media quite as much as they have been with their BD sets for the original Inuyasha.

https://twitter.com/yashahime_na

They made their own Yashahime account recently so maybe this will change?
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:24 pm Reply with quote
kurichan69 wrote:
As for popularity, it airs right in the family (read: kids) time slot on Saturday afternoon just before Detective Conan (on NTV, same station) and before Doraemon (on Asahi). That whole time period on Saturdays and Sundays is purely "family time" and those shows are always the most watched anime in Japan. So you've got kids and parents at home watching between 4:30~6:30 pm. That's where this show is slotted, meaning the audience is expected to be the same people watching those other shows. Nothing wrong with that; you just have to keep it in mind that the TV is on while the family is doing their weekend stuff, so of course the rating might be high.

There's been plenty of shows that air in prime time, let alone during the "golden hour" that underperform and aren't popular. I think it's unfair to say the show is only popular due to the timeslot. Hakushon Daimaou, the previous show in the timeslot before Yashahime took it, never got anywhere near the ratings Yashahime got.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3