• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Number 6 wrote:
You can argue that Rimuru can make the choice to cut the head of the serpent and let the conscripted soldiers live while I could argue that those very same soldiers could defy their orders and choose to leave the war, becoming deserters.
You could, but thematically, the show has already elevated slavish loyalty as a good thing, so it wouldn't really connect with the show.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
• Milim's backstory is tragic, but I'm not sure how it fits with Milim as we know her. She always seemed innocent—like a child who didn't know any better—rather than someone that had gone through a rage-filled genocide and the imprisonment of her best friend.

Millim is an innocent child, but innocence is not inherently a good thing and it can enable cruelty. She's also a violent child with far too much power, both physical and political.
We know that she likes to "boss humans around" solely for her amusement and that she's quick to slug anyone who says anything that upsets her ever so slightly. She likes her fisticuffs.
So yeah, if she's actually enraged and there's no one she cares about to stop her, I can easily picture her destroying anything and anyone in the vicinity.
Rob49152

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
some random thoughts on the latest episode
- "Every villain is a hero in his own mind." this can be said for slimy, but also the attacking forces.

- The enemy are attacking because tempest is seen as a threat to their trade profit. But to make it 'sellable' to the masses they had the church declare it a holy war against demonic beasts.

- Having the invading forces come to tempest is like the uber eats of the anime world!

- These soldiers were doomed anyways if the theory that Clayman was going to claim them is true. Is it slightly better to die for a nicer demon lord?
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Rimuru finds a way to trick the system, get the demon lord title and related power ups and then brings all the humans back to life as well or something. It would be disappointing since it would avoid all the discussions and consequences brought up in the thread here, but I wouldn't put it past the author to do something along those lines.

Yuvelir wrote:

To be honest, this is probably why the enemy force is exactly twice as large as he needs: fill your stomach until you evolve and then use the spares to show how merciful you are!
Earlier I mentioned the scenario where less than 10k people actually try to fight him, but by making the attack force 20k we can be sure that won't happen.

Oh for sure. The author knows exactly what they're doing.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

The point of becoming a True Demon Lord is that the process involves restoring (to some currently unknown degree) those who are "attached" to the person undergoing the process, as the (soon to be) Chaos Dragon was to Milim. For it to work the way Rimuru wants it to work, there needs to be vessels for the souls (which are currently outside of the bodies) to return to. I seem to recall from the LN that Rimuru put a spell on the bodies to keep them from decaying, in addition to the barrier which keeps the souls around.

Right and that's useful later, but before all that demon lord resurrection talk, there were just corpses laid out in the street, seemingly for some time before Rimuru got back. That would be a significant health hazard under normal circumstances. That is what caused the eye brow raise for myself and I presume Richard as well.

Number 6 wrote:

You can argue that Rimuru can make the choice to cut the head of the serpent and let the conscripted soldiers live while I could argue that those very same soldiers could defy their orders and choose to leave the war, becoming deserters. Alas, they most likely do not have the power to defy those orders without consequences from those above and from other people, who would judge them for deserting. The same applies to Rimuru. So he'll obliterate this serpent, because he's powerless. In doing so, he'll fall from grace, and become a True Demon Lord.

I would presume desertion would have consequences as well, so hoping things could be resolved by causing the majority of the soldiers to flee would be a bit of wishful thinking.

Having said that, are there any conscripted soldiers? Or at least what we would think as being forcefully conscripted? We weren't shown any farmers with thrown together armor (if they're lucky) and worn out swords. We saw properly armored and uniformed soldiers.
Falmuth has 10,000 knights, which would be properly trained experienced soldiers. 6,000 mercenaries, who fight for money and spoils. 3,000 temple knights, presumably similar to Falmuth's knights. 1,000 mages who all appeared to be soldiers as well.
So not exactly an invading force of innocents being pulled from their homes and families to go to a fight they shouldn't be involved in. At least that's not how they're being depicted here.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Putting the ethics aside, episode 9 is still very possibly the worst episode in the series so far--it embodies everything wrong with the pacing of this adaptation. Virtually nothing happens: we get two extended flashback sequences, Rimuru tells everyone he was reincarnated (they don't care), and informs everyone that he's going to do that thing he decided to do last week.

I was genuinely shocked, watching this, once I realized they were padding things out to avoid starting the battle this week. Jesus. The contents of this episode would've felt padded at 5 minutes, nevermind 22. I literally smacked my own face when they started expositing the battle plans, and again when they did the slow-motion walking scenes set to "epic" music. Yeesh.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Having said that, are there any conscripted soldiers? Or at least what we would think as being forcefully conscripted? We weren't shown any farmers with thrown together armor (if they're lucky) and worn out swords. We saw properly armored and uniformed soldiers.
Falmuth has 10,000 knights, which would be properly trained experienced soldiers. 6,000 mercenaries, who fight for money and spoils. 3,000 temple knights, presumably similar to Falmuth's knights. 1,000 mages who all appeared to be soldiers as well.
So not exactly an invading force of innocents being pulled from their homes and families to go to a fight they shouldn't be involved in. At least that's not how they're being depicted here.
I did notice that. Theron can probably correct me if I'm wrong, but the idea of an army with just 10,000 fully-armored knights (and no peasants) would have been complete nonsense in a traditional medieval world. Which means either a) the power structure of this country is completely different than a traditional one, which would raise some interesting ideas about world-building (and leave the "voluntariness" of their participation a big question mark), or (more likely) b) the writer didn't think about the implications and instead picked the least humanizing choice.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:21 pm Reply with quote
It's also cheaper to make one knight 3D model and copy it over and over than design a bunch of different poorly geared farmers on top of that. Most people don't know about the difference between a knight, a soldier and a conscripted soldier and how each of them are geared anyway... maybe including the author.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
I dont think anyone is denying the need to defeat the army and send it packing. The debate is only about Rimuru consuming 10,000 soldiers. And the convenience of so many humans turning up. And how a large portion of those soldiers are probably there just because its their job and they are afraid of monsters.

Considering in the first season Rimuru, friends and allies had to battle an orcish horde of 200,000 orcs, the Falmuth invasion forces are a bit on the light side. I forget, but perhaps that is all they could spare at the time. So, I really don’t see an army that large being much of a convenience, but rather how blindly optimistic the Falmuth king appears to be. It really doesn’t matter that the enemy soldiers are drafted, coerced, volunteered, or forced into joining the Falmuth army. It doesn’t matter that they bought into their own kingdom’s propaganda. The only thing that matters is that they are coming to kill you and yours. This idea that we must “think of the enemy soldiers” is dangerous to our survival. These enemy soldiers are not sheep, many of them are quite joyfully thinking about all the evil things they are going to be doing once the city falls.
Cryten wrote:
About the only show I remember that treats with killing so many human soldiers like we are considering is Overlord season 3. And it treated those acts with a far different air then the lead up to slime is doing.
Despite uncanny generic CG I liked the way that showed the horror of mass slaughter in battle. The only equivalent we have had in slime is the orc disaster. Which they went out of their way to show them as walking horrors.

Yeah, you are right about that. While it was hell and despair for the forces of the Kingdom, I quite enjoyed the Empire’s reaction to what Ains did.
To be honest, I really liked the Kingdom in the beginning, but when the King’s son showed his true colors attacking our favorite human/goblin village, well I was overjoyed when they fell to the tender mercies of the goblin Red Caps.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:02 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It really doesn’t matter that the enemy soldiers are drafted, coerced, volunteered, or forced into joining the Falmuth army. It doesn’t matter that they bought into their own kingdom’s propaganda. The only thing that matters is that they are coming to kill you and yours. This idea that we must “think of the enemy soldiers” is dangerous to our survival. These enemy soldiers are not sheep, many of them are quite joyfully thinking about all the evil things they are going to be doing once the city falls.

Forgive me if I'm rude, but I've heard this exact rhetoric many times in the past, often by less than well-intentioned orators.
It's a very dangerous, very exploitable and very self-justifying outlook.

And it doesn't really fit the jolly tone of this series.
Not like Rimuru does even consider that invading force as an actual threat anymore. Protecting the people isn't that much in his mind, he knows he can (he knows he HAS) achieve that easily with less of a bloodbath. The statements of that rhetoric might be used as a justification for his future actions, but it isn't the motivation for them.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And that's before pointing out that 10,000 of Falmuth's army are comprised of its knights. You know, the nobility? The people who run the government? Rimuru is about to destroy the bureaucratic infrastructure of an entire country in one fell swoop. Who knows how many will die from the resulting chaos before Youm and Myulan are able to take control.

Wherever one stands on the overall ethnics of the situation (personally, I lean towards the justifiable self-defense camp, especially considering the soldiers already killed civilians and intend to kill more once the get to the city), I think saying this would destroy all their bureaucratic infrastructure is based on a couple faulty assumptions.

First, that the knights are their entire nobility. Certainly, the knights would be nobles, but not all the nobles would be knights. It would be impractical if your government shut down every time you went on a extended military campaign, either at the national level or the level of individual fiefdoms. They would have someone (or probably some people) handle the day to day affairs while they were away. Many would have children or siblings (or spouses depending on their culture) who would be their successors in the case they died. Sure, they may not be of age but those advisors running things would continue to help them with that. So, they wouldn’t descend into ungoverned chaos even if all the knights died.

But, second, we don’t know this is even all their knights. If they sent all of their military, that would leave them vulnerable to invasion themselves, so they would probably have some defending the capital and other important defenses. So their entire nobility would probably not be wiped out even if all their nobles were knights.
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:41 pm Reply with quote
The morality of the situation aside, I think Rimuru's decision is the most efficient one. One of the biggest hurdles is that it will definitely undo everything Rimuru stood for. He's effectively starting right from the beginning all over again. It would be interesting to see the consequences of this line of action; during the episode, I was wondering how their human alliances would take the news, but I don't have any confidence in any meaningful consequence of this, because that is not what this series has ever been about, and Slime can be easily justified by having someone spill the beans about King Falmuth's plan.

My line of thinking is that a ruler (Rimuru) should consider the protection of his kingdom's people first and foremost, and the kingdom of Falmuth instigated this. Having a barrier that significantly weakens sentient creatures is one of the most broken things I've seen in the series. Becoming strong enough so that something like this becomes trivial at the expense of an attacking nation that is attempting to recapture a trade route instead of making negotiations makes a lot of sense to me.

Otherwise, this episode was a huge waste of time. It was effectively a recap episode trying to hide that it's a recap episode. I'm guessing the content this season is going to cover is less than its episode count. Or maybe it's the opposite?

It was entertaining at least to see everyone so chill with decimating 10,000 men and killing their country's king. It was even more entertaining to see Rimuru act like replacing and re-educating an entire kingdom is somehow an easy task. It rubbed me the wrong way somehow. At least in Overlord, things like these are stated plainly. As for everyone going out of their way to make Rimuru's apology all about themselves, I think this might be a Japanese thing. I have seen Japanese people apologise to a perpetrator even if they're not the one to blame. It's pretty strange but it's probably to encourage the mindset of collective responsbility.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
On the idea of all the knights being entirely nobility I concur that it is unlikely. Even a city of a few million would have a hard time supplying money to so many even as minor nobles who manage a few hundred people. 10,000 minor nobles would require taxes from 1,000,000 to 5,000,000 to supply at 100 to 500 citizens to noble. Instead either it is just the way to story talks about professional military calvary or its heavily armoured troops. I dont think the writing is thinking very hard about details as other have said.

Instead I would suggest that the elite 200 troops who deployed in the first wave are their major in the know enforcers. The question we keep coming back to is not is Rimuru justified but instead can he and the story keep on the way thing where or become a far more for the greater good people must be sacrificed story.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Theron can probably correct me if I'm wrong, but the idea of an army with just 10,000 fully-armored knights (and no peasants) would have been complete nonsense in a traditional medieval world.

Partly correct. The issue here is that, during the High Medieval to Renaissance period (roughly 1000-1500 AD), the terms "knight" and "man-at-arms" were often conflated. There was considerable overlap in their training and equipment, so distinguishing the breakdown of noble and non-noble warriors within that group based on contemporary records could be difficult if not impossible. To put it one way, all knights were men-at-arms but not all men-at-arms were knights; the rest might be squires, other members of a knight's retinue, or even mercenaries in a formal mercenary company. Under that broader definition, assembling 10,000 would not be out of the question; most historians agree that the French had around that number of "men-at-arms" at the Battle of Agincourt, for instance. That many having heavy armor would also not have been out of the question, as by the Battle of Agincourt, plate armor was available even to men-at-arms of relatively modest means.

But this partly feeds into another point raised: about how much damage such a loss of nobility might entail. The Battle of Agincourt is a good example of this as well, as the French losses in that battle "cut a great swath through the natural leaders of French society," with cities losing key governmental figures and some regions losing entire generations of landed nobility. This resulted in infighting and damaged the French's ability to resist later English incursions. Hence it would be reasonable to assume - based on history - that such losses wouldn't completely disrupt the country but would definitely leave it vulnerable.

In short, being able to assemble the forces described wouldn't be totally unreasonable for a declared holy war if the label "knights" is being applied as broadly as "men-at-arms" would have been traditionally. If "knights" is actually meant literally then yeah, that's unreasonable, even if Falmuth is a huge country.

To address an unrelated point about the human forces being sent being inadequate, keep in mind that - as far as anyone outside of Tempest knows - Rimuru is dead, so they wouldn't be accounting for his presence and may not be aware of his full capabilities anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity why is this any different then the orc invasion? I dont remember the numbers since it was a long time ago but didn't they kill way more then 20,000 orcs? As we have seen orcs and other monsters are not so different from humans they are sentient beings capable of love and compassion. So how is killing the bloodthirsty human hordes any different? The slime is protecting their home its not like they went looking for a fight. Even if the humans are there against their will so were the orcs. Should they just lie down and let the humans kill them? Wouldn't wiping them out be the best way to end the war anyway? If they take out only a fraction they will just go home regroup and even more will die. Guess I just don't agree with the reviewers standpoint that this is the defining moment that will "undo everything he has done so far".
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Out of curiosity why is this any different then the orc invasion?

If things go like the orc invasion where they accept their surrender after removing the leader then it will be the somewhat the same. See fighting off the army is not the point of contention. The point of contention is the need to consume the souls of 10,000 humans. The Orc Disaster went out of its way to make itself appear destructive terrible force through their never ending hunger and slaughter of all other creatures nearby. The humans have terrible leaders and fear.

The point being not that Rimuru and co didn't need to fight but they they stopped. But what Rrimiru needs to do now is to hunt humans. Not give them a chance to flee or break. He needs to actively plot to ensure he personally kills 10,000 of them. Which is quite a different motivation to a defender of his people. Especially Rimiru himself who has been far more passive in his fights compared to the oni. At least with anything sentient. He was happy to slaughter dungeon monsters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 45