• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote
The Anime Binge-Watcher wrote:
So... Rudeus just tried to sexually assault a child.

That is a thing that happened.

Great, show, everyone. So glad such deserving source material got such lavish treatment.

Agreed, really enjoying this show, this episode had me laughing quite a few times. Easily one of my favourites of the season, though admittedly I'm not watching a lot as I decided this was the perfect time to watch all of Detective Conan.

(Yes, I know he was being sarcastic)
leongsh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Rudeus is still the same scummy otaku NEET shut-in working his way through this new life of his. It's good to see Eris giving him a good kicking after what he did (which she was not aware) and he tried to pull off (which she is when she awoke and is made aware of).

The world is slowly but surely being filled out. Philip is planning out the politics arising from the situation with having Ghislaine to take credit from solving the kidnapping. It's also to hide Rudeus (because of his capabilities) from the other polictical families and possibly, other branches of the Greyart family. I am interested to find out more about this larger world.

{Mod edit}: I removed some of your post. Leave out the unneeded bait comments towards users from now on. Basically saying a character deserved to be sexually assualted due to karma is also not going to fly here. That much has been said several times. ~ Psycho 101
leongsh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
{Mod edit}: I removed some of your post. Leave out the unneeded bait comments towards users from now on. Basically saying a character deserved to be sexually assualted due to karma is also not going to fly here. That much has been said several times. ~ Psycho 101

The karma was her being bashed by the kidnappers in the previous episode (i.e. Episode 5) for being the loud obnoxious demanding ojou-sama who uses violence and loud demands, like her grandfather who is the influence on her, against anyone lower status. Please don't jump so fast.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:25 am Reply with quote
Well, could have done without Rudy acting like that -_-

GhostD wrote:

To be fair its not like they can release something like that in the US without censoring it

They can, and if they can't they shouldn't be releasing it in the first place. If I had bought this and found out it had been censored I'd upset and stop buying the series. Whether objectionable (as in this case) or not, I'd expect what I was buying to not be filtered without my knowledge.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:13 am Reply with quote
I'm so tired, I'm so bloody tired. There are some genuinely nice character building moments this episode, with Ghislaine, Eris and Rudy's dynamic, the fact that Eris fundamental nature as a spoilt kid didn't magically change over the course of an episode and we see how that nature contrasts to her genuinely sweet moments and lots of world building and foreshadowing with the mentions of the Laplace war.

But then we have 5 minutes of Rudy sexually assaulting a 10 year old for what feels like a quick comedy gag. If the need was to show his degeneracy, that was already conveyed at different points of the episode, it was to have a scene of Eris beating him up, we had several of that. I'm just so tired of all this, I could bear his thought crimes a bit but now I just want Eris to break his neck by "accident". Also I don't want any source readers explaining to me that it's "for character development" and "we need to really know Rudy is a degenerate", I don't care. I legitimately do not care.
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:32 am Reply with quote
Mami-kouga wrote:

But then we have 5 minutes of Rudy sexually assaulting a 10 year old for what feels like a quick comedy gag.

Nine year-old, but the rest of your point stands.
Fakerman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:24 am Reply with quote
Great episode.
... Minus that Rudeus thing.
I wonder if he will ever calm down a bit?
Kibako

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:10 am Reply with quote
Fakerman wrote:
Great episode.

He will, spoiler[a turning point is coming soon anw, probably at the end of next ep. And he won't have much time to think about pervert stuffs]
Fakerman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
Kibako wrote:
Fakerman wrote:
Great episode.

He will, spoiler[a turning point is coming soon anw, probably at the end of next ep. And he won't have much time to think about pervert stuffs]

Nice to know!
I do not completely despise Rudeus but man those moments are a bit too much.
Well now I'm eager to see the next episode. Very Happy

Last edited by Fakerman on Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:11 am Reply with quote
That scene in the stables was awful and unnecessary, and somehow it was still better than the LN, where spoiler[Rudy consults his inner "sage" who expounds on the future of Eris's breasts in a silly voice at length. The illustration for that chapter is of this scene, because so little happens in most of book 2 that half the illustrations are just people standing there.] If the English release of the LNs cut stuff like that, then it makes some of the positive takes I've seen on them make way more sense.
If the anime absolutely had to have Rudy comment on Eris's breasts, I wish they'd cut the groping and kept the scene where spoiler[he looks at her mom and thinks that she'll grow up to have a great figure]. That was so much less gross.

On the other hand, I am absolutely going to be ragging on any Dizzy mains I know for having this guy to represent them. (You can see him playing some version of Guilty Gear XX in an earlier flashback and he keeps using Japanese FGC terms.)
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Ah another episode of pedophilia and sexual assault played for laughs with zero consequences for the main character outside getting hit a few times. The only reasonable response to a scene like that would have been Eris going to her father and Rudy being fearful of being executed for assaulting a nobles daughter and at the very least being sent packing right back to his degenerate father.
James S.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:36 pm Reply with quote
A great episode. I won't go into detail on the stuff that's been beaten to death.
Quote:
One of those is the first full account of the adventuring party that Ghislaine, Paul, and Zenith were all members of. Called The Fangs of the Black Wolf, the party also included three other members that have not been introduced yet: a thief, a cleric, and a second swordswoman.

Just a tidbit, Zenith was the cleric. The other missing member is the mage.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:16 pm Reply with quote
James S. wrote:

Really? Unless I missed something, everything so far has given the impression that Zenith was an arcane caster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I need some confirmation from the novel readers, I only read the manga adaptation of Mushoku Tensei which I am sure it trims lots of excess or side plots from the source novels. But last time I checked, I do not remember there is an extended scene where Rudy harassed Eris like what we have in episode 6. So does the volume 2 of the novel has this scene? Is it as....unnecessarily long and uncomfortable like this?

I do believe I have high tolerance for fan service and tall threshold for pervert behaviors. But that ep 6 scene is the first time I felt uncomfortable watching it, since no matter how young Rudy looks, he still is a 40 year old NEET, that contrast in age difference gets creepy and creepier once we get into the context

I will still stick around, since there are lots of materials left that I would love to see it being animated, it’s just I was surprised that the production team decides to leave the scene untouched or present it elaborately than just skim it

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kibako

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
James S. wrote:

Really? Unless I missed something, everything so far has given the impression that Zenith was an arcane caster.

You don't miss anything, just, it's said clearly in the novel. Everything anime had told us about her was that she could use healing magic, that's all. Logically, if she was a magician, she would have teach Rudy herself instead of hiring a tutor, like how Paul taught sword fight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 31