• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambrose7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:03 am Reply with quote
Oh that review of RAG. I get it has issues but I found the show fun to watch. Not great but definitely not the worst. Also though Chizuru was a fun character.
timber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:00 am Reply with quote
Curiosity of the year: Chinese live version of "Hikaru no Go".

I couldnd't resist to watch it last week to see how much adaptation it would require (beside the localization of all the player's names).

For example, it seems that instead of the insei school controlled by the Go federation, there is a series of private schools (in the story there is even a player challenging the schools, just like martial arts dojos).

The scope of the exam is of course larger with probably over a thousand participants in the exam room at first, multiple selection rounds with a final round of 16 participants to decide the 6 players accepted as pros.

Story wise, if you forget about the political stuff in the first episode (the story starts at the time of the peaceful reunification with Hong-Kong which they don't forget to remind you of several times) and a bit of the natural tendency of Chineses to trash talk others, it is mostly ok-ish. There are some big changes, like the local "Ogata" more concerned in leaving its name in history (by creating the first online go playing website and a professional team composed of young promising pros capable of entering A league) than by its own results in go tournaments, like "Hikaru/Waya/Isumi" training in a temple instead of go clubs, or "Waya" stopping is Go career to take over the family business. The go playing scenes are also less present, but I guess it would have been difficult to reproduce in real life the anime "battle like" go.

So overall the series is watchable with the only unforgivable thing being the rewriting the scene between Hikaru and Isumi were Hikary discovers Sai in is own game.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:01 am Reply with quote
Worst Anime of the year for me... no, that's a No Contest for me as only one series I watched not only made me hate the main character but the previous seasons as well.

Love Snafu season 3, what are you?! While I am aware the plot was supposed to go awry so that it could end on "My romantic life is wrong as I expected"...no, wait, that only works for the start of the series because for an ending, it should be "Still wrong" and you would have to drop "as I expected" as the expectation was maturation not dull surprise... so that it could end on a title drop but.
But what happened to Hachiman's empathy that he showed earlier in that same season? If Hachiman's entire high school life was colored by his middle school confession that failed, why would he think that he should have been shut down by Kaoru before he even said anything?

"I saved her months of embarrassment. Wow, what a terrible time I had with Kaoru. What did I ever see in her anyway? I'm so glad I was able to get over her." Hinit, hinit, Hachiman.

And then there's co-dependancy. If you want to paint a character as co-dependant, don't make them self reliant except in the most extreme circumstances; "Yukino's sister ran an entire festival on her own, it should be the same for Yukino." I'd bet Haruno handed out work to other people just as quickly as it was given to her Also, don't ignore an already defined co-dependant character when playing up the newy minted "co-depenent" on the audience's emotions.

Yukino- cat, Yui-dog.The series was so simple and direct until the author wanted to play up Yukino to the audience, get them on her side, but that's the funny thing about cats, you can't make them cute, either they're cute or not.

I've seen more boring series in 2020, some with horrible animation and one or two that shouldn't have existed at all but that's the same every year. Love SNAFU was, well, total FUBAR.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:02 am Reply with quote
The Nekopara review was beautiful, honestly.

About Adachi and Shimamura, I was kinda glad to read that spoiler, even if it probably should've been avoided since that volume isn't out in English. I've read three volumes of the novel (haven't watched the anime), and I was going to drop it as moe-moe yuri-baiting. Probably not going to change my mind and read three more volumes, because I absolutely cannot stand the series, and don't enjoy Hitoma Iruma's writing (regardless of who the translator is), but now I don't have to wonder if it happens in the volume four that just came out.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:35 am Reply with quote
Worst of for me (of shows that weren't an obvious dumpster fire from the beginning like Gibiate or Nekopara) was Wandering Witch. Such high hopes in the beginning. I thought we were getting Little Witch Academia meets Kino's Journey. What we got was this weird tonally disjointed fetish show, where where we swing from events like a woman joyously orgasming from people making sad faces, to an 8 year old being violently murdered onscreen. It was such a hot mess, but such an interesting, entertaining hot mess once I let go of the idea of it ever being any good.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:44 am Reply with quote
The best (funniest) OP sequence of 2020: The Gymnastics Samurai
(IMO)
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:44 am Reply with quote
Panophobia wrote:
This best LBGTQ+ list is so forced. More than half of the characters are not even gay.

Eripiyo and Maina:
Eripiyo is just an obsessive crazy fan. That is it. She is just a rare female fan. Meanwhile Maina is just grateful to her.
There was an actual lesbian couple in the show btw. Maki and Yumeri. Just sayin.

Karyl and Pecorine:
This is really forced. Just because Pecorine said “I love you!”, this does not mean she has romantic feelings.

I understand that you want this kind of representation in anime, but just because you ship character do not force it to be something it isn't.

They're example where the story is purposefully vague but it's clear that the writer intended for them to be seen as a unit even while also making it possible to deny it like plenty of other case (sound euphonieum and yuri on ice being the most obvious recent example.

timber wrote:
Story wise, if you forget about the political stuff in the first episode (the story starts at the time of the peaceful reunification with Hong-Kong which they don't forget to remind you of several times)

Lol wtf. I wonder if they did that to get a some money from the government, or maybe that was the only way to get something based on a Japanese IP get greenlight.
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:00 am Reply with quote
When it comes to the Worst of 2020 list, the only one that I agree on is the Digimon reboot. All the others have some redeeming features and qualities, and I actually loved Id:Invaded, but damn does the Digimon reboot just take a dump over all that is great about the Digimon franchise. Not even cool action sequences can save it when there's nothing to make those action sequences feel earned.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:05 am Reply with quote
the cagaster and the id something reviews, put together, reminded me of that part of highschool of the dead when the character who had just tried to rape the female teacher dies heroically, his last line is something like "how dare you think i am a bad person just because i wanted to rape your teacher?".
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:48 am Reply with quote
My favorite anime of 2020:
Winter: Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove it
Spring: Wave, Listen to Me!
Summer: Decadence
Fall: Still watching. Possibly:
Noblesse
D4DJ First Mix
Jujutsu Taisen
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Classifying Appare and Kosame’s relationship as LGBTQ is an extreme stretch. Was there no other more prominent Male/Male relationships in 2020 that you just had to settle? No good Yaoi anime came out this year? If anything, Kosame is more like Appare’s older brother and his caretaker rather than a romantic prospect, especially since the entire anime is extremely lacking in both romantic context and subtext among its core cast.

Kou and Mitsuba from Toilet Bound Hanako-kun, especially considering some manga context, would’ve been a better choice.

meiam wrote:

They're example where the story is purposefully vague but it's clear that the writer intended for them to be seen as a unit even while also making it possible to deny it like plenty of other case (sound euphonieum and yuri on ice being the most obvious recent example

I wouldn’t put Yuri on Ice in that category at all. If anything, with how Yuri and Viktor are presented (the kiss, the lip gloss, the rings, etc.), it’s almost impossible to deny that they’re a couple, or at least romantically interested in each other, by the end. You’d have to go the extra mile to deny any of that.

Last edited by Raven.In.Pink on Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:36 pm Reply with quote
For the award of the worst anime of 2020, I propose Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World.
I had wondered why there seemed to be so many definitely good and possibly good new anime in the promising Fall 2020 season, and now I know the answer: it was because I hadn't yet watched shows like this one. The moment the narrator tells us of 'Astral Power, the strange energy that slumbers within this planet' was the moment the thought Uh-oh! occurred to me. Shows that talk of mystical, magical powers are dime-a-dozen and seldom have much to offer in the way of plot and characters. The well endowed female characters that Iska selects for his team (one of whom, 'Captain', can't even keep from falling flat on her face when running) didn't reassure me. This helium-voiced girl is an elite witch fighter? I don't believe it. The girls would rather hug Iska than display any sort of military discipline. I quickly got the sense that this show did not intend to expand any envelopes. It would need to get a lot more serious very soon in order to convince me that I could expect anything approaching a tale of danger and espionage. I had thought at first that the mission was to kill the Ice Witch, but it gradually became clear that for all the claims of an endless war, this was a conflict in which nobody actually dies. So much for the last vestiges of excitement on my part. Oh God! This show is actually so bad that more than once I burst out laughing at supposedly tense scenes. Lines like "He just cut through astral flames?" reveal how feeble the combat was. Yes, obviously 'endless wars' consist of magic-armed opponents confronting each other in plain sight and having the manners not to do anything until their opposite number has finished reading his/her lines. I decided that this show was so far gone that there was nothing anybody could do for it. We know almost nothing about the main characters and this war is totally unrealistic and impossible to take seriously. There's no danger, no motivation, no humor, no novelty--what am I supposed to watch for? Seriously, I bet that if I had been allowed to rewrite the script of this show I could have doubled the quality, and I'm a complete amateur. This show was painfully, laughably bad--it felt like the sort of manga someone in elementary school would write. I ultimately gave up and quit before the episode was complete. I normally don't assign ratings to series which I haven't watched in their entirety, but I think it is safe to say viewers should avoid this show.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Raven.In.Pink wrote:
Classifying Appare and Kosame’s relationship as LGBTQ is an extreme stretch. Was there no other more prominent Male/Male relationships in 2020 that you just had to settle? No good Yaoi anime came out this year?

2020 was an amazing year for BL. I can attest that there was no shortage of male x male pairings to choose from. Blue Lynx alone did 3 projects: Given, Twittering Birds, and Umibe no Etranger. And we got a lot of non-Blue Lynx works too like Sekaiichi Hatsukoi. If I had to guess, the writer either prefers yuri or dislikes traditional BL.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
^
Our Last Crusade is not a good series, granted, but its faults pale in comparison to the comically-bad travesty that is Island of Giant Insects.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Docky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Is there any link to check the complete result of the mega poll?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9