• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaiji (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Time and Space wrote:
Is anyone else still watching this? If you aren't, I suggest you begin now.
[...]
If you haven't seen any of it, I suggest you give it a try.

I've had plans to watch both Kaiji and Akagi for a while now, so you don't have to worry about convincing me. Both shows seem to have a nice fan-following.

Time and Space wrote:
The art style resembles nothing mainstream in anime, and as is evident from earlier in the thread, it might put you off.

The art doesn't turn me off at all, and I agree with you in that it really shouldn't be any other way. There's something about all the squares and triangles that draws me in anyway. It looks good, imho.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I've been following this show since it started. Unfortunately, my computer is a total piece of shit and is having increasing trouble with .mkv format for some reason.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I know a number of people who are watching this show myself. This is the only show that people ask about every day when they come down to the anime club room, and yes, I do mean every day. I don't think I'm personally enjoying it as much as some people, but it certainly is one of the best things airing right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I found Akagi better since the plot was more engrossing and it's based on a real sport/game but in Kaiji he's just sort of drifting in between games of...not exactly chance or anything but it's not typical gambling.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 15 spoiler[Wind gusts! are you kidding me.Sahara made it all that way just to get blown off like that.Damn.Now Kaiji is the only one.]I left off for a while on Kaiji.Just picked it up again.Great show I must say.It's got so many twists.A lot of BS too.I'm still watching it.
solot58

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
To me Kaiji is way less confusing then Akagi simply because the events played in Kaiji are explained while you'll be lost on the first episode of Akagi if you dont know how to play Mahjong
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16: So what'll it be?spoiler[Eye or Ear? Damn that Tonegawa.He's got that voice like that unsolved mysteries guy doesn't he.They just explained the rules for Citizen,Emperor,Slave.Each game gets better and better,but Kaiji always gets screwed,maybe this time.You see that a lot here in Vegas,maybe this time.LOL]

I noticed a Kaiji PSX game.I'll have to look it up.
solot58

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Episode 16: So what'll it be?spoiler[Eye or Ear? Damn that Tonegawa.He's got that voice like that unsolved mysteries guy doesn't he.They just explained the rules for Citizen,Emperor,Slave.Each game gets better and better,but Kaiji always gets screwed,maybe this time.You see that a lot here in Vegas,maybe this time.LOL]

I noticed a Kaiji PSX game.I'll have to look it up.

spoiler[i have a feeling he'll get screwed once again in this game, but not lose either eye or ear...there will probably be one more game after this for him to play and the series will end there...thats just my guess though]
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
solot58 wrote:
spoiler[i have a feeling he'll get screwed once again in this game, but not lose either eye or ear...there will probably be one more game after this for him to play and the series will end there...thats just my guess though]

Judging from the episode count,I'd say your right.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
solot58 wrote:
To me Kaiji is way less confusing then Akagi simply because the events played in Kaiji are explained while you'll be lost on the first episode of Akagi if you don't know how to play Mahjong

You mean you weren't on the edge of your seat when Akagi was in ryan shanten on a closed edge wait for a mangan hand? Yeah, the series had a harsh learning curve but by the halfway mark I could keep up without translator notes.
Time and Space

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
You mean you weren't on the edge of your seat when Akagi was in ryan shanten on a closed edge wait for a mangan hand? Yeah, the series had a harsh learning curve but by the halfway mark I could keep up without translator notes.

Kaiji is like the Akagi for 'special people'. I tried Akagi, but eventually decided I'd appreciate the skill of Akagi more if I knew how to play Mahjong, so I did what any internet user does and searched the 'net for some instructions (a bad idea), even found an online game against AI, I soon became frustrated and gave up. Though have every intention of returning to Akagi at some point (when I've mastered Mahjong).

Anyway it's good to see some Kaiji fans. Out of Kaiji, Shigofumi and Spice and Wolf (the three new series I'm currently watching) I'm actually surprised there's been next to no discussion on the series, which for me is, so far, the better anime, just; and it's already on the 18th episode: spoiler[which was tense as always, I knew Kaiji wouldn't defeat tonegawa so easily, when he placed the higher bet. I just can't see how kaiji will turn this around, and the epsiode didn't make any reservations about stressing the cost of defeat, with graphic images of an ear drum exploding. Come on Kaiji! (I noticed how the episode preview had a surprised looking Tonegawa, so I expect Kaiji will pull through somehow, as if I really had any doubts Smile )]
Ultenth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Just thought I'd mention that although the art still bugs me from time to time, I've given this show and try and been watching it raptly since then. The pacing and psychology in the show is amazing, I'm on the edge of my seat every episode. Some of the social issues they tackle in regards to money and the proletariat are pretty intense.
Time and Space

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Annoying. To all ye who are watching Kaiji. I strongly advise against watching the preview at the end of episode 19, something happens in it that could be a huge spoiler, if it turns out to be the obvious result of a possible eventuality...
cenorig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Hey!

I've heard there'll be more than 26 eps of Kaiji.
Is there any truth behind it? How was that concluded in the first place?

Anyway, it's an awesome show with jaw-dropping plot twists, nice animation and the best soundtrack since oh-so-long (Death Note, actually, since one of the composers did the music for both of these series).

One of the best that began in 2007.
newlungs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
Ep 21, 22 spoilers:

spoiler[I must say that after all the crap Kaiji has been through, those two final wins were e-p-i-c.

I wonder what Kaiji's got planned with a tissue box. Anyone care to speculate?]

Btw, are there any other similar series to this? I'm a huge poker fan myself haha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3