• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Manga Editor: 'Kodansha is Taking Strict Actions Against Illegal Uploads'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsilver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:56 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is missing most of the Attack on Titan chapters, making it useless for people not already caught up on it.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:42 am Reply with quote
Don´t want to have the AoT ending leaked before it comes out in Japan, like with Naruto. Good luck with that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:56 pm Reply with quote
At least AoT IS being published in my country and US. It's pretty popular franchise.

But what about series you CAN'T buy legally? You know, sereis never published in US like Tomodachi Game or Hitman Reborn (dropped) or The World God Only Knows?

They are fighting with symptoms, not the cause. Manga should be more accessible to people worldwide, so they could just go and purchase a new chapter without any trouble. I really like what Jump did but this is not even 5 % of what I am reading and what I want to read. And there are A LOT of people who simply can't read English, this is a second language for me.

Netflix and Steam are another example of things being done right. I know, Japan is targeting Japanese at the first place, but international market is also HUGE, you can't just ignore it...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:12 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:
Maybe if the Japanese made Attack on Titan more accessible world wide, there would be less piracy!

It's been established long ago that making something legally and conveniently accessible does not in fact equal less piracy. Some people are just cheap bastards.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Kyo Hisagi wrote:

Netflix and Steam are another example of things being done right. I know, Japan is targeting Japanese at the first place, but international market is also HUGE, you can't just ignore it...

At the same time just because you think a certain work might generate interest if it's released in another market doesn't mean publishers are going to be terribly inclined to take the risk especially when some of them have seen how the story miserably ends.

Kyo Hisagi wrote:

Unless a work is generating a considerable amount of interest or buzz you kind of can.

Not many publisher's at least U.S. nowadays feel inclined to throw a bunch a money exporting a work that's not likely to pay off for them.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:56 pm Reply with quote
This article gave a summary (and so did the tweet), but from the Twitter replies from Japan, it seemed like a portion (or all) of the most recent chapter was leaked online before it was officially published.

While it wasn't released in the US or other countries, it wasn't available publicly in Japan as of yet, which is why Kodansha is big mad.

Could be an inside leak, for all they know. This is just more than the current content which is already available to purchase.

I was kinda wondering why most of these replies were a bit off but now I get it.

I've only been catching up on AoT through the Crunchyroll manga, honestly...i think I've been trsding it there for over a year now.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Kyo Hisagi wrote:
At least AoT IS being published in my country and US. It's pretty popular franchise.

But what about series you CAN'T buy legally? You know, sereis never published in US like Tomodachi Game or Hitman Reborn (dropped) or The World God Only Knows?

They are fighting with symptoms, not the cause. Manga should be more accessible to people worldwide, so they could just go and purchase a new chapter without any trouble. I really like what Jump did but this is not even 5 % of what I am reading and what I want to read. And there are A LOT of people who simply can't read English, this is a second language for me.

If they're fighting with leakers, they are fighting with symptoms. I have more than half of the stuff I want to pay for "not available in your country", but #%!-ers who want to read chapters before official release can go to hell, they're making it worse for the creators and for all of us. Plenty of people pirate because they have no other options, at least ones that wouldn't cost them their kidney and their firstborn, and plenty of pirates are just lazy, cheap or so impatient they can't wait a few days and support their favorite artist.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Hinotoumei wrote:
got bored sitting at home and borrowed all volumes of the manga from the library. Please come arrest me immediately.

So you're saying your library didn't pay for any of those manga volumes, making you guilty of receiving stolen goods Question

Kyo Hisagi wrote:
Netflix and Steam are another example of things being done right.

If gamers approached Steam the same way anime viewers and manga readers approached legal anime/manga services, Steam would've been burned to the ground by piracy years ago for not allowing gamers to play any video game they possibly wanted for under $5 a month. "I have to make separate payments for every single video game? Too 'inconvenient,' Bad Service Wink Wink"
Adv193

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:50 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to legally available manga, I do it legally and with AOT I purchase it digitally via Amazon Kindle. This is my method of showing respect.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
HueyLion wrote:
Maybe if the Japanese made Attack on Titan more accessible world wide, there would be less piracy!

It's been established long ago that making something legally and conveniently accessible does not in fact equal less piracy. Some people are just cheap bastards.

Obviously there are some people who will choose to pirate no matter how convenient and inexpensive legal services become but I think that good legal services fight piracy very effectively. The music industry is a great example. Sure there are still people who pirate songs online but things like Itunes and offical releases on Youtube put a huge dent in that. In my opinion those services were far more effective at reducing music piracy than the endless game of legal whack-a-mole with Napster, Limewire, Kazaa, AudioGalaxy, etc.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Kyo Hisagi wrote:

They are fighting with symptoms, not the cause. Manga should be more accessible to people worldwide, so they could just go and purchase a new chapter without any trouble

What about other series you can't buy legally? You simply don't get them. Tough luck. This is a concept far too many cannot comprehend or accept, you are not entitled to everything you want. Period. Full stop. Just because you want something does not mean you get it. I want an Audi A4 Quatro turbo charged, that doesn't mean I get it simply because I want it. Digital pirates get away with their routine because enforcing laws online with digital media is much harder than enforcing anti-theft laws with physical products at a physical location.

Does it suck you can't have access to all the manga you want? Sure. Is it even fair that some areas have more availability than others? Nope. But that's life. I don't get access to all the k-dramas and j-drama shows I want. It sucks, but that's life. This is no different.

Now I do agree they are not doing themselves any favors by limiting availability to various world wide markets. It would behoove them to widen that accessibility to gain more revenue and also product awareness. That still does not change the fact digital piracy is just that and, and even more detrimental to the income of the artist for a manga than in the anime industry.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
What about other series you can't buy legally? You simply don't get them. Tough luck.

I love how you can say that because you live in a country with one of the best and widest manga availability. Come try to live where I do, you'll be at the very least VPNing manga, anime, live action, etc. in a month, because otherwise there's precious little you could get.

Also, something nobody explained to me: if someone can't, in fact, legally access something, for reasons that are completely outside their competence (eg. not being able to buy music or manga because they're physically not in Japan and/or don't have a debit/credit card released in Japan) then how, exactly, are they hurting anyone by pirating it? It's not like they could buy it even if they wanted to, so...?
engle_michelle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:01 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Can't Kodansha itself make a MangaPlus-like legal manga site just to read mangas legally worldwide? Why now but not early?

Just shows that reading mangas on legal sites is harder than on illegal sites, which is easier. And now I will never finishing reading of AOT ending because of it.

Japan's very strict copyright law may applied worldwide like EU's GDPR. If all illegal anime and manga sites shutdown next year because of it, that means I will miss some mangas who I read on illegal sites including Detective Conan( I don't want to miss the ending). As for animes, I will miss seasons 2 of The Promised Neverland and Cells at Work (all of them on Funi and Wakanim). 2021 will be a shit year for those who read mangas and watch animes on illegal sites. Sad.

Actually there is already a legal manga app that works with Kodansha call MangaMo and yes it is world wide.
engle_michelle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:07 pm Reply with quote
engle_michelle wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
Can't Kodansha itself make a MangaPlus-like legal manga site just to read mangas legally worldwide? Why now but not early?

Just shows that reading mangas on legal sites is harder than on illegal sites, which is easier. And now I will never finishing reading of AOT ending because of it.

Japan's very strict copyright law may applied worldwide like EU's GDPR. If all illegal anime and manga sites shutdown next year because of it, that means I will miss some mangas who I read on illegal sites including Detective Conan( I don't want to miss the ending). As for animes, I will miss seasons 2 of The Promised Neverland and Cells at Work (all of them on Funi and Wakanim). 2021 will be a shit year for those who read mangas and watch animes on illegal sites. Sad.

Actually there is already a legal manga app that works with Kodansha call MangaMo and yes it is world wide.

Plus the manga for Detective Conan and The Promised Neverland are both viz tittles. The way to read those online is through Viz Website.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:24 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
What about other series you can't buy legally? You simply don't get them. Tough luck.

I love how you can say that because you live in a country with one of the best and widest manga availability. Come try to live where I do, you'll be at the very least VPNing manga, anime, live action, etc. in a month, because otherwise there's precious little you could get.
I mean... I see Psycho 101's point. But that's also because of how I grew up. If I couldn't get something, then that was it. I didn't get it. I didn't enjoy it, didn't watch it, didn't play it, just basically ignored it, and that was that. So if I lived in a country like what you do and couldn't really access the amount of anime and manga that I have now, then... well, I just wouldn't be a big anime fan like I am and would just make due with what I could access. It's why I didn't get a cell phone until I was 23, or getting my first DS until I was 20, or how I'm 31 and STILL hadn't seen series like Sailor Moon or Wolf's Rain or Cowboy Bebop (at least in its entirety in terms of Cowboy Bebop; I wasn't allowed to watch those shows when they aired in their prime). It's just... that's how life is. Even with the internet, I still don't go out and pursue more than what I can get whenever I can help it. Doesn't mean that I haven't pirate occasionally, because I have done so and 99% of the time I go out and buy the legal copies whenever they become available, but for the most part? If I can't find a way to access it legally, then I just go without. It's as simple as that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3