• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Moriarty the Patriot

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:22 pm Reply with quote
BBally wrote:
yeehaw wrote:
Ok so the plan is to have nobles committing crimes against peasants in the open and showing how evil they are, but they picked a murderer and rapist for the job.
Os won't the rection be more like "Wow good job ridding the world of that scumbag my good chap! Hohohohoh"

It made more sense in the manga, in that the guy wasn't a murderer or a rapist but an innocent victim.

I heard from someone else that they also had multiple plans in motion in the manga, so that man being murdered wasn't the only possible outcome. I guess it simplified the story to exclude that.

Seeing the latest episode, whether the victim was a rapist or not ultimately didn't matter. What the audience saw was quite brutal, so it seemed that nobody was asking who that man was. Especially if the newspapers don't look into it; the general person in that era probably wouldn't have access to resources that could dig up that information. Sherlock probably could, but assuming he's like other iterations of Sherlock, he isn't interested in swaying the public and the victim's background is irrelevant to what he noticed.
BBally

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:33 pm Reply with quote
This episode showed that even nobles were disgusted and horrified at such brutality and disregard for human life. So the manga/anime shows not all nobles are evil.

While it's weird to see Sherlock perform a Cartwheel Kick, it's nice to see more adaptations remember that Holmes is an expert in hand to hand combat.

Like in the previous episode there was a big change to the story in the anime version, in the manga Enders threw himself off the boat in a dramatic fashion preferring to face instant death instead of facing the consequences and be dragged to the mud like "commoner".

I'm excited for the upcoming episode as it's an adaptation of one my favorites chapters from the manga, A Study in "S", a Sherlock Holmes centric episode that introduces us to Doctor Watson and Miss Hudson (who's a lot younger in the manga than most incarnations) and a loose adaptation of the first Sherlock Holmes story, A Study in Scarlet.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was a pretty good episode, but the review made it better, since I don't know from opera or ballet, and it pointed out some things I hadn't really absorbed while watching. But I too was thinking it would be hard to do precision dancing at sea, as well as wondering how the heck he managed to climb up that mast in those shoes.

Was Moriarty bumping into Enders after tossing the body to keep him from noticing there was no splash or keep him from watching it (not) hit the water, or was there another reason that I didn't notice panning out?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Was Moriarty bumping into Enders after tossing the body to keep him from noticing there was no splash or keep him from watching it (not) hit the water, or was there another reason that I didn't notice panning out?

That was my assumption - Enders wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but surely he would have noticed two guys with a net if Moriarty hadn't distracted him.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Enders climbing up the mast like a monkey was pretty silly. It's getting increasingly hard o take this show seriously.
Also how many years has it been since the books were published? Surely everyone knows by now that what Sherlock's doing is inductive reasoning, not deductive?
BBally

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I was looking forward to this one because A Study in "S" is one of my favorite stories from the manga, the way I see Holmes and Watson are the true heroes of the manga.

This is also a loose adaptation of the first Sherlock Holmes story, A Study in Scarlet, hence the title A Study in "S" (though in this case the "S" stands for Sherlock), looking forward to the next part.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:56 pm Reply with quote
It pleases me that there have been two probably unintentional throwbacks to Great Mouse Detective in the show- in the episode with Moriarty's origin orphans (including Moriarty) are referred to as sewer rats, and in the intro, Moriarty falling in from the sky in front of Big Ben recalls how Ratigan meets his fate in that movie.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:11 am Reply with quote
gpanthony wrote:
It pleases me that there have been two probably unintentional throwbacks to Great Mouse Detective in the show- in the episode with Moriarty's origin orphans (including Moriarty) are referred to as sewer rats, and in the intro, Moriarty falling in from the sky in front of Big Ben recalls how Ratigan meets his fate in that movie.

I honestly doubt that those were meant to be Great Mouse Detective references. Nobility calling the lower class sewer rats is a common writing shorthand for classism. Moriarty jumping off of Big Ben would be straight forward symbolism for a character trying to bring about a revolution, to have them descending down to the ground from the very top of arguably one of the most iconic symbols of Great Britain.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:34 am Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
gpanthony wrote:

I honestly doubt that those were meant to be Great Mouse Detective references. Nobility calling the lower class sewer rats is a common writing shorthand for classism. Moriarty jumping off of Big Ben would be straight forward symbolism for a character trying to bring about a revolution, to have them descending down to the ground from the very top of arguably one of the most iconic symbols of Great Britain.

Yeah, that's why they're unintentional references.. I still enjoy them though in the context of the character's multimedia history.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:48 am Reply with quote
gpanthony wrote:
Yeah, that's why they're unintentional references.. I still enjoy them though in the context of the character's multimedia history.

Fair enough
RubyRed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:30 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
BBally wrote:
Yeah but there are a lot of people on here who are negative on this anime because they don't think the anime makes it obvious that Moriarty and co. aren't exactly the "good guys".

I think the portrayal of class conflict is way too ham-handed being essentially a disgusting-rich-guy-of-the-week story. And, yes, the show has the opportunity to present a more nuanced view of Moriarty's crimes but has failed to do so. I have yet to see any discussion of the morality of the brothers' actions.

Just because it's intended for large audiences, popular entertainment doesn't need to be as simplistic as this series.

I came here to say exactly this, but I see someone's already done my work for me Smile

I'm still gonna follow the anime to the end, but mostly because the art is absurdly pretty and I love the colouring. I've already lost interest in the plot. Hopefully the manga will have less... Tunnel vision Rolling Eyes
BBally

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite satisfied with how they adapted this chapter from the manga. I really like the Holmes-Watson dynamic here so far (a lot better than some versions).

As for the upcoming episode,

spoiler[Seems they're going to skip two storylines from the manga, one of them being one I liked, which centered on Moran.]
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:01 pm Reply with quote
The arrival of Sherlock Holmes has moved the series away from its repetitive start and toward some intriguing drama.

None of the seiyuu is familiar to me. I do think Furukawa Makoto is doing an excellent job as Sherlock, and the rest of the cast is quite impressive as well.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:41 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
The arrival of Sherlock Holmes has moved the series away from its repetitive start and toward some intriguing drama.

None of the seiyuu is familiar to me. I do think Furukawa Makoto is doing an excellent job as Sherlock, and the rest of the cast is quite impressive as well.

Aside from Furukawa, we've also got

Yuuki Ono as Watson - he was also Josuke in Jojo Part 4 and Taiga in Kuroko no Basuke
Souma Saitou as William Moriarty - he's also Hermes in Danmachi
Takuya Satou as Albert Moriarty - he was Ceasar in Jojo Part 2
BBally

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Apparently this isn't the first Sherlock Holmes pastiche to use the concept of the events of A Study in Scarlet to be orchestrated by Moriarty as this concept was used in the 2009 novel The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12